Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC Pickal knife preferred carry method?

EDC Pickal knife preferred carry method?

From someone who knows absolutely nothing about knives, how to employ, or carry one I thought this might be the appropriate place to ask a question. I have previously carried an Emerson CQC mini with wave feature for a few years, (mostly for utility purposes). I have recently decided to switch to a fix blade. I feel due to my lack of training, ease of employment and ability to purchase a trainer I felt this was the best move. I ended up purchasing a P. Moore knife since I was unable to attain a Clinch Pick.

So my question to anyone here is if you carry a similar knife what position are you carrying it? Ergo 11 o'clock, orientation such as handle up/down/canted, strong or weak hand access and your thoughts as to why it is beneficial. Presently I am carrying the handle up completely vertical between 11-12 o'clock. I also carry my firearm appendix, typically my PPS. My present thought process on this is that I have both strong and weak hand access to everything as well as the ability to retain everything in the event of a struggle with one hand/arm. Leaving one to fend and create space for access. I would appreciate any tips help or links to any information that might be helpful. I am also looking for trainers in the even someone has attended a reputable trainer that they can recommend.

I am presently considering South Narcs EWO if I can squeeze it in come November after his ECQC I am taking in October. Thanks.

Clinch Pick, just off center, angled down at 45 degrees, cutting edge up.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Are you running a pull the dot snap or a Tek Lock? My sheath came with a Kydex loop and Tek Lock, when trying to adjust the sheath downward the loop does not work well and the Tek Lock is a little to bulky for me. JodyH do you find your particular positioning of the knife to provide a greater economy of motion during draw and employment? I was thinking that this would be the best way to go for speed, ease of access for both strong and weak hand draw, plus you don't have to clear your garment as much as carrying vertically like I presently am. Minimizing motion and attention to the draw is certainly important in my opinion. I want to be able to present and employ as discretely as possible especially in a FUT.

I have a single pull the dot strap I use with some belts, with others it's the Tek-Lok.
    Downward angled centerline is considered the best for access under the majority of crappy situations.
    The only way to find your optimal position to to test it under pressure such as EWO, ECQC, IAJJ or mat time with a training partner.

Pic of my loop setup.
    Last edited by JodyH; 06-09-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

I think you are correct on location, I am going to pickup some pull the dots. Thank you for the info, as always it is greatly appreciated.

And maybe the same Phoenix EWO in November?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    And maybe the same Phoenix EWO in November?
    Lots of us all together. That's what makes it fun.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

I hope to make it. I'll be sending an email out in just a few to find out about the slots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a soft loop on sheaths slightly differently than Jody does, mine is placed outside the belt. Here is the first image I could find comparing the loop to the Tek-Lok:

Think for yourself. Question authority.

Clinch pick, carried 1130 or so on weak hand side, stocks facing centerline for access by either hand. I am a bit unusual in that I prefer angle to be nearly horizontal to the belt line, owb; gives up a bit of grip on initial access but corrected during draw (even if opposed), but helps quite a bit with concealment for my body shape. I use a very slim rigid kydex clip (not tech lok, found that was too wide).

User Tag List