Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Training report: Walther PPS

Thanks for the info.

Ran to the range on lunch today, put 40 FMJ and 9 Gold Dots through it with no issue. Ran all of the mags at least once. I still believe this was a striker issue, and will start cleaning the striker channel out every 500 rounds or so as this is a carry gun. Previously the striker channel had never been cleaned and the gun had 1,200 rounds or so through it.

Small brass flakes, powder residue and some oil make for a striker slowing sludge.
    On any striker fired pistol it's a good idea to clean and dry the striker and channel before firing (to remove factory applied preservative/oil) and every few thousand rounds thereafter.
    Never lube the striker or the channel.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Small brass flakes, powder residue and some oil make for a striker slowing sludge.
    On any striker fired pistol it's a good idea to clean and dry the striker and channel before firing (to remove factory applied preservative/oil) and every few thousand rounds thereafter.
    Never lube the striker or the channel.
    Yup. Had a similar experience with a Ruger SR9c. I cleaned out the Walther with M-Pro 7, dried, dried again, and left it out overnight to make sure it was bone dry before putting it back together.

I am thinking that the Walther might be slightly more prone due to the striker indicator, which interestingly enough, would probably apply to the new VP9 as well. I had not cleaned it from the factory because it was reliable, I will start doing so every 500-1000 just to be extra careful since it is a carry gun. I find a lot of lint building up around that area so that could have played a role as well.

User Tag List