Thread: Offhand Shooting and Group Impact.

Offhand Shooting and Group Impact.

Ive reached a sticking point when shooting weak hand only, left hand . While my group sizes are nice and small, they're reliably impacting left of point aim-unless I tilt the weapon at an almost gangster-lean angle to get the sights aligned with my right eye.

Any pro tips on lining up the sights to avoid this issue?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I take your post to mean that you are trying to line the sights up with your non-dominant (left) eye. Do you have a reason for that? You're just handicapping yourself further.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I take your post to mean that you are trying to line the sights up with your non-dominant (left) eye. Do you have a reason for that? You're just handicapping yourself further.
    I'm lining them up with my dominant eye (right).
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Common advice:

Curl your thumb tight against the frame. It absolutely increases the dexterity of your trigger finger as claimed by proponents.

How this is suppose to help, I don't know. I've found it to make things worse, and lessening my trigger finger dexterity by shooting my thumb straight up into the air has absolutely yielded better results.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

No pro tip here but I'll share what worked for me: dry firing with a red dot. I kept trying to use the middle of the pad of my finger and no matter how perfect everything else was I always got lateral movement of the dot with each trigger press when shooting one-handed (which translated to lateral movement of my group with live fire). I experimented with repetitions starting with the tip of my finger and working my way down. Eventually I found the trigger finger location that gave me zero dot movement - trigger finger buried as far as I could reach in. Using that trigger location when shooting one handed centered my groups. I'm not advocating any specific finger placement for you, but a few dozen one-handed trigger presses with a red dot or a laser while varying your finger placement might show you something.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Ive reached a sticking point when shooting weak hand only, left hand . While my group sizes are nice and small, they're reliably impacting left of point aim-unless I tilt the weapon at an almost gangster-lean angle to get the sights aligned with my right eye.

It isn't a pro tip, but I turn my head to the left to get my right eye where it needs to be. I also try to punch out with my left hand a little more.

Brad

Ok, I misunderstood your post.

I was actually taught to use the "gangster lean" - by Todd, I believe, although it was years ago - when shooting WHO and find it helps with accuracy, though it seems to harm recoil control and follow up shot time. It's the best way I've found to get the sights under the dominant eye in more than one stance. In any event my WHO shooting is so compromised compared to STO or two-handed shooting that I focus more on lining the sights up and less about what plane they're lined up in.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

Your question assumes it is a sight alignment issue. In my experience, most issues related to one hand shooting relate to trigger control.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Your question assumes it is a sight alignment issue. In my experience, most issues related to one hand shooting relate to trigger control.
    I would say that holds true for any handgun shooting, strong hand, off hand or both.

Ken

For a right hand shooter, a slight tilt inward can help when shooting off hand (left).

Ken

User Tag List