Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunsmiths

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I thought that the Hi-Power had a significantly smaller number of smiths who could do top notch work on them.
    This is true. Then again, 1911 work has become as formal and ritualized as a tea ceremony. BHP work is undiscovered country by comparison.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I'd go with Chuck Rogers for the 1911. Jim Garthwaite is highly skilled working on both pistols, as are Yost and Novak.

I've had a Novak Hi-Power and have some significant experience with 1911s from 10-8 (Hilton Yam). As far as I'm aware of, outside of Novak and Cylinder and Slide no one is really doing significant work on BHPs. The Novak BHPs I do have though have been great, including a friend's 40 that's currently living in my safe and is the only 40 I've ever loved.

As far as 1911s go, I'm not really deep into the custom 1911 world. Hilton's guns are great, I've shot a Yost gun some, but I usually just buy Colts and make the adjustments to them that Hilton recommends.

Site Supporter
    Any of the above? I'd have a hard time not acting like a kid at christmas time if I opened a box and found one of Jason Burton's pistols in it.

I think that if beavertail quality is any indicator, I'd give the nod to Greg Derr or Jeremy Reid

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=459136

Go ahead, skip right to the beavertail photos. I'll wait.

By the way, you're drooling. On your keyboard.

I've got a Colt over at Greg Derr's shop now. I can hardly wait for its return

Ever since Caleb inspired me to start shooting, I've been looking at various smiths to update my grandpa's Hi Power that he gave me and this is what I found that hasn't been mentioned yet. I hope this helps you.

http://www.theactionworks.com/browning.htm
    http://www.hp1911.com/index.php/signgrdhp

In the end, I sent mine to Novak since I only wanted the sights updated and the magwell beveled. I had the internals re-done by West Coast Armory using Cylinder and Slide parts.

Lot's of folks can plug and play with parts and do a little filing, refinishing, and such, but which gunsmiths do their own machining and can manufacture a part from scratch if need be?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Not really. You asked "technical, execution, and style". Being able to weld and solder pretty doesn't necessarily mean really understanding the operating cycle, and vice versa.

So, I'm dodging the question, but only a little bit.

Why do you want to know? Are you planning on sending a gun off?
    That's why I said "and" rather than "or."

Can you be called the best if you farm out the hard stuff?

I find it curious that George at EGW and Single at Metalsmith aren't mentioned.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Doc nailed it for me. The most cleverly fabricated bespoke parts I've handled have been on Yost or Yo-Bo guns, and the nicest lines I've seen have been on Garthwaites and Yosts.

I'm personally only using MARS right now.

All three of those guys do great hi powers, incidentally.

My front sight is my happy place.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I find it curious that George at EGW and Single at Metalsmith aren't mentioned.
    I had a 1911 that needed a bit of welding, no one would touch it and everyone recommended George @ EGW.

User Tag List