Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benelli M4 vs. Beretta 1301...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I've got quite a few friends who will push up to 30,000 rounds of shot per year for skeet, trap, clays, etc...
    Precisely, as since a M4 isn't a classic sporting shotgun, I was wondering what you do with 60,000 rounds of shotgun ammo in a M4 -- is that 60,000 rounds of birdshot, or largely slugs and buck?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Well...I hope he answers all these questions. ..seriously curious!

Based on many, many years of bird hunting and sporting clays with both spaghetti guns mentioned......

It's my opinion that Beretta's have noticeably less perceived recoil. Also, it's been my experience that Beretta guns are more reliable with low recoil ammo. BOTH guns run great when they're dirty, but the Benelli has a very slight advantage operating in adverse weather conditions.

Sorry for the late answer, I totaled 60.000 rds in roughly five years. because of cost I shot mainly birdshots on steel, roughly 10.000 rds of slugs and maybe another 10.000 buckshots. My personal M4 held really well, I switched the original stock with a full stock, shortened to 13 inches LOP. As a matter of fact I didn't experience any breakage, but I guess that a stedy diet of only buckshot and slugs would had different impact on the gun. I used exclusively fiocchi ammo (again due to cost) I owned it from 2001 to 2006 I never babied it (back then I was a little cro-magnon with guns..) cleaned every 1000 rds, I shot roughly 200 to 500 rds every week, steadily, sorry but I never care to inspect wear points, but, nothing breaked in the timeframe. I sold the gun in 2006 to a friend, he still has it, and it's still going going strong. With the 28 gr. birdshot I had the occasional failure to eject but never with 32 gr. watch out however for the picatinny rail, it's not a real picatinny, I used an aimpoint M2 on it, and even when the factory mount was tightened real good it had some very slight wobble. I used a thin shim on mount and it held well. Also loctite EVERYTHING that can be loctited, because it WILL fall out.. I lost two screws from the picatinny even using blue loctite, and had to use red loctite on rear sight screws.

Thank you for the follow up sir.

Good info, thanks! Not often you get wear-point/failure data over 60K rounds on something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WARDOG68 View Post
    Sorry for the late answer, I totaled 60.000 rds in roughly five years. because of cost I shot mainly birdshots on steel, roughly 10.000 rds of slugs and maybe another 10.000 buckshots. My personal M4 held really well, I switched the original stock with a full stock, shortened to 13 inches LOP. As a matter of fact I didn't experience any breakage, but I guess that a stedy diet of only buckshot and slugs would had different impact on the gun. I used exclusively fiocchi ammo (again due to cost) I owned it from 2001 to 2006 I never babied it (back then I was a little cro-magnon with guns..) cleaned every 1000 rds, I shot roughly 200 to 500 rds every week, steadily, sorry but I never care to inspect wear points, but, nothing breaked in the timeframe. I sold the gun in 2006 to a friend, he still has it, and it's still going going strong. With the 28 gr. birdshot I had the occasional failure to eject but never with 32 gr. watch out however for the picatinny rail, it's not a real picatinny, I used an aimpoint M2 on it, and even when the factory mount was tightened real good it had some very slight wobble. I used a thin shim on mount and it held well. Also loctite EVERYTHING that can be loctited, because it WILL fall out.. I lost two screws from the picatinny even using blue loctite, and had to use red loctite on rear sight screws.
    Wardog, could you please show photos of your stock that was shorter or shortened with some information about it?

Thanks, sir.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Wardog, could you please show photos of your stock that was shorter or shortened with some information about it?

Thanks, sir.

I'm not him, but most people cut the oem stock and then fill the end with a hardening epoxy type substance and then thread the pad screws into it. It's pretty straightforward, but takes some time.

Thank you.

Question: does the collapsible stock work well in this capacity or does the cheek position get too high to use the sights?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Thank you.

Question: does the collapsible stock work well in this capacity or does the cheek position get too high to use the sights?

Mid position for me jammed my cheek bone into the stock hard and my jaw got hit by the button using irons. It works perfect for optics though. The full position is same length and feel as the fixed PG stock.

User Tag List