Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benelli M4 vs. Beretta 1301...

Benelli M4 vs. Beretta 1301...

Both shotguns enter the country neutered. The Benelli takes more work. More money. A LOT MORE. So lets throw price out the window, now, otherwise there is no sense in comparing, as I don't think that the diminishing returns from either system are technically worth the price difference. So lets compare based on merits of the systems, after DE-neutering them.

1301 Tactical:

-Starts at 6.7#, added mag-tube likely brings it to what, 6.8-9#? We will say 6.9#
    -18.5" Fixed Cylinder CHF Chrome-lined barrel
    -LPA sights
    -13" LOP stock
    -A400 gas-system
    -Capacity 7+1+1

Benelli M4:

-Starts at 7.8#, adding mag-tube REDUCES this to 7.5# (8oz heavier than the 1301 Tactical)
    -LPA sights
    -3-position stock, with LOP of 14.25", 12.25" (perfect cheek-weld for optic use), and fully collapsed
    -Capacity 7+1+1
    -ARGO gas system
    -18.5" Fixed MOD choke CHF Chrome-lined barrel (Yes, these mil-issue barrels exist, and I bought one for my last M4)

Both shotguns can be similarly outfitted regarding their controls (bolt-release, charging handle, etc.). Neither have flawless light-mounting solutions, but both have VERY workable solutions, such as the Briley rail for both/either, or the AVA Tactical system for the Benelli M4. Both add only 1-2oz. or so, IIRC.

The Benelli has the advantage of a military procurement program and the subsequent trials. Kindof like comparing a Colt M4A1 to a BCM "M4A1". They are both very good guns, but the Colt is made to a recipe that has proven itself and been relentlessly tested.

Beretta is very popular in 3-gun, which is a very high-round count sport, as well.

What have I found on the internet and from trusted sources (personal experience, DocGKR, etc.) about design flaws?

-I have found several teething issues with the A400 system, mainly gumming up of the gas-ring similar to the 11-87 using some ammo, as well as the extractor defacing the barrel where it rotates. Thus far, this is all I can find about the Beretta having issues.

-I found 1 individual who's Benelli would not cycle anything but full-power ammunition, and Benelli replaced his barrel assembly and it now functions with most anything. I have owned 4 Benelli M4's over the years, and all would cycle with authority (not just dribbling out the ejection port) 1145fps 2.75 Dram Remington target ammunition (green hull). I also found multiple issues when Benelli used the 4-port gas system, which was meant for LOW RECOIL ammo, and when full-power ammo was used, pistons broke and carriers defaced. I have contacted someone who services the Benelli's for the military. They have only seen 1 go down. The barrel was slammed in the door of an uparmored HUMVEE. The only issues they report are lost charging-handles (soldier issue, not that they fly off), and worn or torn O-rings on the gas-piston plugs from rough cleaning/assembly practices. Otherwise, action springs are replaced every 6K rounds and they soldier on. Neither this person, nor DocGKR has reported that any receivers have ever been broken, and these are all of the failures I have seen/heard of during the time I was aware the M4 existed.

So, cost off the table completely, which one would you pick? Why? Have you owned one, the other, both?

Here is the best slow-motion footage I could find of the BLINK and ARGO systems:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuJVMPVu8tI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jJZAdlt80w

*I created this thread because I was cluttering the 1301 thread. This thread is to discuss BOTH platforms, more to the point, to compare them.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 06-03-2014 at 09:37 PM.

I do have limited exposure with the 1301 but a high count yardage on the benelli m4, I shot nearly 60.000 rounds with the benelli, if your primary consideration is toughness and reliability I would give the nod to the m4, BUT, it has some shortcomings, the top rail is not a real picatinny, the collassable stock is awful, and it's HEAVY, and I mean HEAVY.. the beretta has a far superior safety located on the front of triggerguard, an incredibly fast action cycle and less perceived recoil, it's more balanced IMHO. Sights are the very same LPA ghost rings, they are both excellent shotguns, but they are different beasts, it's like comparing a rapier to a sabre. For a civilian with a reasonable care of the weapon system, I think that the beretta has a superior shootability, it's really a FAST shotgun. If you want something more rugged, the benelli is tougher.

I will also note that the Beretta comes with a shim kit for extensive stock adjustment for LOP, cant, cast, etc...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I will also note that the Beretta comes with a shim kit for extensive stock adjustment for LOP, cant, cast, etc...
    The furniture is the one thing that the Benelli M4 is at a distinct lack of advantage on. The stocks are simply too long for 95% of users. Sure, they are functional, but I don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by WARDOG68 View Post
    I do have limited exposure with the 1301 but a high count yardage on the benelli m4, I shot nearly 60.000 rounds with the benelli, if your primary consideration is toughness and reliability I would give the nod to the m4, BUT, it has some shortcomings, the top rail is not a real picatinny, the collassable stock is awful, and it's HEAVY, and I mean HEAVY.. the beretta has a far superior safety located on the front of triggerguard, an incredibly fast action cycle and less perceived recoil, it's more balanced IMHO. Sights are the very same LPA ghost rings, they are both excellent shotguns, but they are different beasts, it's like comparing a rapier to a sabre. For a civilian with a reasonable care of the weapon system, I think that the beretta has a superior shootability, it's really a FAST shotgun. If you want something more rugged, the benelli is tougher.
    60K rounds on one Benelli, or on several totaling 60K? If on one, what parts, if any, were replaced over that mileage? How did the alloy receiver wear regarding the barrel-tang and carrier-rails? Was it self-limiting/non-issue?

Also I am curious about the cam-pins/cam-pin tracks on Benelli's. I have never put that kind of rounds through one. How do they hold up?

Darn, I am just curious as to who and why anyone gets to shoot 60,000 rounds thru a Benelli M4?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Darn, I am just curious as to who and why anyone gets to shoot 60,000 rounds thru a Benelli M4?
    Cool kids, with tons of shot shells.

I would also like to know the parts breakages if there where any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Given his profile says he's in Italy, that give me an idea....

Why not? I know people who shoot that much shot each season.

I've got quite a few friends who will push up to 30,000 rounds of shot per year for skeet, trap, clays, etc...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List