Thread: Changing Focus

Changing Focus

Recently I've realized that when I shoot more than a 3 or 4 shot string, my focus tends to go from the front sight to the target. I seem to be looking at/for the impacts on the target, and not keeping a solid sight picture.

Luckily, my grip, press out, and sight alignment stay solid, and my hits are still "effective" (I drop some shots outside of my 6-8 inch triangle now and then, but I'm also shooting at speed), but I'm not sure what to do to correct this, or if it will cause problems.

I don't know when or why I started doing this, but it happens regularly now in extended strings.

I recall this being mentioned in another thread, but can't seem to find it with my Jedi search-fu.

Any thoughts, or a link to the thread?

Thanks
    Last edited by BoppaBear; 06-01-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Banned
    Howdy,

Repeat to yourself as you shoot "front sight, front sight, front sight." over and over as you shoot.

Stop worry about where your bullets are impacting the target because if you will focus on your front sight ( no pun intended ), your grip, trigger pull and stance and NOT where the bullets land, they will land exactly where you aim.

Take a target type .22LR pistol, like a Browning Buckmark ( my fave ) or Ruger MK II/III set up a target at 35yds that's a white sheet of copier paper and the smallest red dot for a bull's eye that you can barely see at 35yds, follow the above tips, and since you will NOT be able to see the little holes at 35yds ( unless you have excellent vision ) where the bullets are impacting the target will not matter.

Take your time, no need to be in a hurry, fire 1 shot every 1 to 2 seconds. Shoot 2 mags for a total of 20rds.

If you do this properly and you have any shooting abilities and/or skills you will be amazed at your group size.

Practice, practice and practice.

HTH

Paul

Someone (Todd, maybe?) suggested that I cut the center out of a target to work on this. The negative target won't get a hole unless you miss.

Additionally, I found that working more at ranges that require a hard front sight focus was also a big help.
    Sheep Have Wool

Quote Originally Posted by BoppaBear View Post
    Recently I've realized that when I shoot more than a 3 or 4 shot string, my focus tends to go from the front sight to the target. I seem to be looking at/for the impacts on the target, and not keeping a solid sight picture.

Luckily, my grip, press out, and sight alignment stay solid, and my hits are still "effective" (I drop some shots outside of my 6-8 inch triangle now and then, but I'm also shooting at speed), but I'm not sure what to do to correct this, or if it will cause problems.

I don't know when or why I started doing this, but it happens regularly now in extended strings.

I recall this being mentioned in another thread, but can't seem to find it with my Jedi search-fu.

Any thoughts, or a link to the thread?

Thanks
    Is this happening at all distances or just close targets, like those inside 10 yards?

Gabe immerses us in some of the complexities of vision/focus in this thread. Not sure if that's the one you were looking for or not, but it chocked full of info regardless.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...igamiak+vision

t

I used to have some serious "eye sprinting" issues, what made the biggest difference was to get better at shot calling and sight tracking. I would spend some time just shooting into the berm and watching your sights.

We utilize a cadence drill to teach a shooter to keep visual focus on the front sight throughout long strings of fire. A shooter should understand trigger reset during the recoil phase and should have a good or smooth trigger manipulation. The cadence need to be an exacting rhythm and not a sporadic pace throughout each string of fire.

We generally shoot this cadence in combination with what would be similar to a one hole drill. The drill is from 3-5 yards shooting at a small bullseye or tape paster sized spot on a target. We are stressing that the shooter maintain strict front sight focus and keep on the time pace. We begin with a very deliberate pace where the shooter starts training the eye to track the sight movement. First string is 6 rounds at a one second pace (one thousand one, bang - one thousand two, bang - one thousand three, bang etc...). In the second string of 6 rounds we increase the pace to a .50 second pace (one and two and three and four and five and six). The final string of six we increase the pace to about a .25 second pace (one, two, three, four, five, six). It is critical that the shooter maintain hard front sight focus and imperative that they stay on timed pace. They need to keep that exact rhythmic cadence and not be sporadic or jerky on the trigger.

Indeed this can be done while shooting at a berm but we prefer to use a target with a bullseye. The downside some say is that the shooter will be greatly inclined to look up at the target to see their holes appear and groups start to form. In reality I like to see that happen as it is an immediate validation of tracking and using a strict front sight focus. When a shooter does look up at the target the group will immediately open up. Sometimes a shooter might look up on one round see that round pop high, then get back on their sights, trusting the front sight and the group will close up. This takes repetitions, but the results are undeniable to a shooter and the point is well learned, which is to trust the front sight and stay with it. Some shooters will shoot just as good of a one hole drill at a .25 second pace as they can shoot on a non timed pace.

This front sight tracking and hard focus also goes towards the other topic on going on involving the downfalls of point shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Indeed this can be done while shooting at a berm but we prefer to use a target with a bullseye. The downside some say is that the shooter will be greatly inclined to look up at the target to see their holes appear and groups start to form. In reality I like to see that happen as it is an immediate validation of tracking and using a strict front sight focus. When a shooter does look up at the target the group will immediately open up. Sometimes a shooter might look up on one round see that round pop high, then get back on their sights, trusting the front sight and the group will close up. This takes repetitions, but the results are undeniable to a shooter and the point is well learned, which is to trust the front sight and stay with it. Some shooters will shoot just as good of a one hole drill at a .25 second pace as they can shoot on a non timed pace.

This front sight tracking and hard focus also goes towards the other topic on going on involving the downfalls of point shooting.
    Interesting perspective, I've always just used the berm but that sounds like a really good way to handle that - especially for shooters that may not have total buy in to what you're teaching. In other words, not necessarily believing that A. you know what you're talking about and B. that they can develop the ability to track the sight and call shots too.

Thanks everyone, for the feedback.

Most of my shooting is 10 yards and in. I do work on cadences, and it doesn't seem to result in losing focus. That happens more when I'm shooting more "irregular" strings.

I will definitely give the suggestions a try. Like is said, fortunately my grip, press out, initial sight alignment, and trigger press allow for my groups to still be "effective", but I'd like to correct the issue.

User Tag List