Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chamber checking in the dark.

Some various press checks. They can be used for visual or tactile confirmation. Some advocate not removing your primary grip from the weapon. I tend to do the first method for tactile as it is the same as I use for visual only. I do also use the slingshot grip and dropping the support hands pointer finger onto the brass in the chamber, which I think is the 4th method in the video.

Press Checks

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Because it can lead to bad things, we would like to avoid press checking, locking slides to the rear, or disassembly of weapons using this manner of grip. I know a lot of people do it but it is not a good method to advocate, especially to someone who may be new to these concepts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Some various press checks. They can be used for visual or tactile confirmation. Some advocate not removing your primary grip from the weapon. I tend to do the first method for tactile as it is the same as I use for visual only. I do also use the slingshot grip and dropping the support hands pointer finger onto the brass in the chamber, which I think is the 4th method in the video.

Press Checks
    I took a photo of that method as well. I haven't gotten into the habit of confirming tacticle (only visually) and therefore haven't solidified a method. I'm aware it's something I need to work on.

I also typically have a weapon light attached, so my fingers would mimic in yours (i assume?) in the posted video.

Edit: also, it's hard to take a picture with a cell phone camera on a timer while doing something like this with both hands. forgive me if the placement isn't 100% correct - i was trying to capture it on film
    If not me, then who?

Beginning with a nominal, two-handed firing grip, retracted into a compressed workspace;

(...cock the hammer if using a DA/SA and hammer-fired system, using the support hand

...while providing resistance with the web of the firing hand to the grip, pinch the rear of the slide and draw it partially to the rear (some users will benefit from placing the firing index finger in register against the slide, to prevent full extraction of the round in chamber);

...rotate the firing hand around the web/tang-interface until the firing finger indexes against the outboard edge of the ejection port, as the support hand maintains isometric tension;

...probe with the firing finger for void, obstruction, or a chambered round in-parallel to the slide's edge;

...rotate the firing hand down to its' firing position, with index finger in full-register along the frame;

...relax the rearward tension of the support hand, and apply support thumb pressure to the aft of the slide/receiver interface to ensure full forward seating (and decock as necessary);

...and return the support hand to its' nominal position in the firing grip.

I like to simply load and make ready in a lighted area.............headlamps & hand held lights are pretty good for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I like to simply load and make ready in a lighted area.............headlamps & hand held lights are pretty good for this.
    Oh yeah, I'm sure that works great for people who have advanced technology like headlamps....

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Some of us might be afraid of the dark............just sayin'.

Don't judge me!

User Tag List