Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question regarding legality of traffic stop

Because the officer is a jack booted thug and your friend is a god loving, flag waving patriot who's only crime is exercising his God given right to self preservation. That really is what you wanted to hear. That's usually the answer that, "Hey, let me ask you a question about my friend...." is looking for.

In my state I have the authority to temporarily take custody of the weapon for my own safety. That's it in a black and white nutshell, period. Do I ever do this? Rarely. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did. If I'm taking a weapon off you we've typically gone to a whole new level. The only thing CCW holders ever make me do is scratch my head. When we have contact with each other don't act like a panicked deer in my headlights and scream, "I have a CCW!" You'd be surprised at how often that happens. In the same vein, just because we're both packing heat doesn't mean we're in the same club. I have no desire to have a bromance about your rod. If your state requires you to divulge that information than do so calmly in a matter of fact way. If not then just keep it to yourself. After all, I assume everyone has one anyway.

When I go to work I run into a lot of ass holes on both sides of the badge. Why? Because we're all imperfect human beings not automatons. As the saying goes: you can be part of the solution or part of the problem. When you have contact with law enforcement decide which one you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

In my state I have the authority to temporarily take custody of the weapon for my own safety.

Statute? Court Case? Please provide a reference.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Statute? Court Case? Please provide a reference.
    In order to do that I'd have to provide you the state in which I live and work. That's not information I'm not willing to provide on the internet. So you can take the information for what it's worth.

In order to do that I'd have to provide you the state in which I live and work. That's not information I'm not willing to provide on the internet. So you can take the information for what it's worth.
    Lol internets opsec.

Okay then. I was just curious as to how your state was allowing you to do something SCOTUS says you can't do. Since no reference has been cited, I'll definitely take it for what it is worth.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Far too many of the COPS I worked with thought anything was lawful as long as it went unchallenged.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

jlw - little off topic, but I have nothing but respect for the professionalism you constantly display regarding your profession. I may not agree with you on some stuff, but the level of proficiency and understanding you routinely show here is a damn high bar for the rest to hit.

Good show. Highest praise I can issue is: If I ever run in with the 5-0 down south, I hope it's with one of your guys. Your dept is lucky to have you.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Okay then. I was just curious as to how your state was allowing you to do something SCOTUS says you can't do. Since no reference has been cited, I'll definitely take it for what it is worth.
    Which SCOTUS case would that be?

You provided that in another thread already, along with your name. Not trying to be snarky, just sayin,...

Site Supporter
    I don't see what the big deal is.

Carrying concealed is a licensed activity. If a cop, under the right pretenses (traffic stop etc), wants to run the serial number on my gun, then they can knock themselves out.

User Tag List