Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: What could/should USPSA do to attract the average CCW holder

Quote Originally Posted by IronArcher View Post
    1) 30+ round stages. At some point it starts to seem rediculous. Seeing video of someone shooting, reloading 4-5 times and he still runs out of ammo? To the person new to the sport, that just seems like a caricature of the sport.
    Obviously 30+ round stages are not representative of real-world encounters for most people, but as you've said, it's a sport. A well-designed 30-round stage is fun and challenging, and that's the point, not how many rounds it is. Honestly, the only reason anyone with 4+ mags on their belt runs out of ammo is extra shots or poorly planned reloads. I've used all of my mags a bunch of times, but ever since I went to 4 mags on the belt + the one in the gun, I've never run out.

2) Comments like "this is where the big boys play". OK Biff, I get it. You are more of a man because you shoot this game vs. another game. Absolutely arrogant, and doesn't sound like someone I want to shoot with. If the other game is so easy, why haven't you won the Nationals, or World championships every year?
    No question, the posturing from both sides is pure silliness. Theoretically, we're all adults, but that doesn't mean we're all mature. Find a match near you, check it out, and if the people there suck, find a different one. I was lucky; the first place I went was full of awesome people who helped me learn.

3) Yes, the scoring seems pretty weird. Note: I say "seems" as a shooter new to the sport.
    Don't worry about it too much at first. You're not going to be in contention to win right away anyway, and after a few matches, especially if you discuss it with the experienced folks there, it'll start to make sense.

5) Excessive running on some stages. While I'm not that old and fat that I can't do it, it's not why I want to shoot practical sports. The "track and field with a gun" at times starts to look a bit silly.
    As PPGMD said, that's club-specific, and of course, your definition of "excessive" may be different from mine, and from PPGMD's and from everybody else's. Again, if a club isn't offering what you want, check out another club. If you're in a major metro area, there should be several options.

2) Race guns. I think they are awesome, I don't need to compete with them in production, so I don't mind. They do look a little silly, yet awesome at the same time
    Agreed, 100%. I LOVE watching the Open division guys shoot. The speed is insane, the noise is deafening, and the fireballs coming out of the comps are sweet to watch. I would totally shoot open if I could afford it.

... and don't look at IDPA as competition...you guys sound like a bunch of ninnies fighting over which is better.
    I'm not sure this is realistic. It seems to me that USPSA and IDPA are in direct competition for people's time.
    Don't get me wrong, the bickering bugs me as much as anyone, but from a business standpoint they certainly are competing for customers.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    I'm not sure this is realistic. It seems to me that USPSA and IDPA are in direct competition for people's time.
    Don't get me wrong, the bickering bugs me as much as anyone, but from a business standpoint they certainly are competing for customers.
    Perhaps. The way I see it, at least for my area, there aren't so many matches that I would often have to chose between the two.
    More likely, I'll be shooting both just to get more matches in.
    USPSA may have to wait just a little longer while I gear up. 3 more mags, and pouches for them is another couple hundred bucks. While trivial to some, adding it to the rest of the stuff to buy (Holster, belt, mag holders, mags etc.) it starts adding up...especially when added to ammo costs, range, and entry fees.

Having read the whole thread now, I will say that the bickering is absolutely the most off putting to someone looking to get into the sport. While there may be times that they compete with each other, I would guess many, if not most, are in my boat. Looking for more than a match a month means shooting both IDPA and USPSA.
    Knowing that, every time one insults the other, they are vicariously insulting their own shooters. WHY would they ever do that?!?! Do you ( not you Doc ) think that by insulting the other game, their shooters will flock to your side?!?!

USPSA may have to wait just a little longer while I gear up. 3 more mags, and pouches for them is another couple hundred bucks. While trivial to some, adding it to the rest of the stuff to buy (Holster, belt, mag holders, mags etc.) it starts adding up...especially when added to ammo costs, range, and entry fees.
    Buy the mags before the pouches. My first year shooting USPSA was spent shooting production with 4 mags and 2 mag pouches. 1 mag into the gun, 2 in pouches, and the last reload on any given stage was from my back pocket. Having only 4 mags meant that I had to make an occasional awkward choice about where to reload, and reloading from a back pocket is not exactly fast vs from a pouch, but I had a lot of fun anyway. Of course, the first thing I did in preparation for the next year was to buy 2 more mags and 2 more pouches, but at that point, the hooks were well into me and I wanted to be more competitive.

Site Supporter
    Biggest issue for me back when I was running a USPSA club in south GA - shooters were either immediately put off by the $$$ associated with Limited or Open rigs; or - maybe worse - immediately dove into Limited and Open by spending lots of $$$ then performing poorly with said hi $$$ rig. I used to beg new shooters to just shoot what they have or make a modest investment such as a G34 (can get most of your money back later) and just shoot Production (often to no avail). I started USPSA in 1986 and I think the best thing they ever did was offer Production Class. As far as high round count stages, my experience was shooters wanted to shoot and enjoyed the high round count. Otherwise; a lot of travel, money, and standing around for a few seconds of competition. Ultimately, I moved to Sporting Clays to scratch my competition shooting itch - certainly no cheaper - but was more family friendly event. I shoot a local IDPA match now at my home club but I do not travel the USPSA circuit because I just cannot justify the time and expense for "a few seconds worth of shooting". I am personally better served by using that time and money practicing. I am losing the value of the competition pressure though.

My intent in USPSA is to shoot Production.
    Kinda wish the mag limit wasn't 10 rounds though. I could shoot a 32 shot stage today with the 2 mags I have.

Kinda wish the mag limit wasn't 10 rounds though. I could shoot a 32 shot stage today with the 2 mags I have.
    Sure, and I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't shoot Production, just that if you wanted to get started right away, you could shoot Limited until you've got enough mags for Production.

I wish that more clubs would offer a formal Introduction to Action Shooting course like the WAC class mentioned above. I could make a case for requiring it for match entry, I have seen too many casual shooters and CCWs jumping into the deep end and not have an enjoyable experience. Not to mention me keeping a nervous eye on them for out and out safety hazards. Had a guy DQed from an IDPA shoot last month because he was completely at sea not knowing what to do next until he safety faulted.

I wish they let AIWB in production
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I wish they let AIWB in production
    Just load your mags to capacity and shoot Limited. It's what I do with my M&P 9 FS. I've done it with my DA/SA Ruger P94 too.

Lots of folks forget that you don't HAVE to have a 2011 .40 S&W with 140mm mags to enter Limited. I'm not in danger of winning Limited Nationals but for local matches it works fine and the winning difference is not the 2011 trigger, accuracy or capacity; it's still the shooter.

If I had a tricked out Limited gun I'd move up a few places in results but wining the match isn't my main goal. I'm there to have fun with the gear I have and improve my shooting skill by doing more involved scenarios than I will set up alone. As many "D's" as I shoot just moving up to major PF won't help.
    Last edited by Lomshek; 01-03-2016 at 06:06 PM.

User Tag List