Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What could/should USPSA do to attract the average CCW holder

What could/should USPSA do to attract the average CCW holder

Just like the title says, what could or should they do. I've been thinking about this a bit due to a couple blog posts out there and some stuff in some internet threads.

First things first, I personally would not want USPSA to "dumb down" the sport just to bring in membership dollars. The fact that USPSA is the harder of the two big handgun sports is one of the reasons I chose it. I do think they could play with how matches are structured a bit. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but I believe that internationally, IPSC has a 3-2-1 rule when it comes to course design, where there is supposed to be a 3 short course, 2 medium course, 1 long field course ratio. I could be wrong on the specifics there, but I like the idea in theory.

Say for a local 6 stage match. 1 classifier stage, 3 stages of 15 shots or less, 1 20-25 shot stage, and one 30-32 shot stage. I think this accomplishes a few things. It could help to combat the notion that USPSA is "track and field with a pistol." In the DVD "Training to Win," Ben Stoeger showed like 3 smaller stages that were still solid shooting tests and gave a shooter options, but didn't require a great deal of movement. I feel that there is a lot of technical skill that can be tested in 15 rounds or less, and that making the average stage smaller wouldn't necessarily make the sport easier. It could alter the perception though. I vividly remember the butterflies I experienced the first time I faced a 32 shot stage, so this idea could be just my personal experience/bias talking.

I also feel that USPSA should put a heavy marketing emphasis on the fact that it is a harder sport. Get that out there. Talk it up. Point out that a number of the very best shooters in the world are USPSA GM's, and explain to the masses that you can shoot with, and learn from, these shooters. Most people that are going to be willing to take up shooting matches regularly, in my opinion, want to get better. From a marketing standpoint, the amount of talent that is present in USPSA could be a major attraction, if marketed properly.

Last, put a heavy emphasis on Production division. Everyone has heard the "racegun" stereotype that follows USPSA around. We have probably all heard that in order to be competitive at the sport, you need a "racegun." I say, fight it. Get it out there that there is a stock gun division. Get it out there that some of the very best shooters in USPSA compete largely in Production. Yes, you do need more mags than IDPA, and even with the stage ideas I presented above, that would still be true. However, I don't think the idea of adding a couple mags and mag pouches is that daunting of an idea for the average shooter. But the large perception that you need a 2011 that costs three grand, that is daunting.

These are just my own ideas. I could be way off base here, as a lot of this stuff is based on things I heard or felt before I ever shot a match. Again, I don't want to see the technical aspect of the sport dumbed down. I'd love to hear some ideas from others.
    Last edited by Jared; 05-31-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Site Supporter
    I ran a small USPSA club in the Savannah GA area for several years before we lost the range to development. I found that shooters either like USPSA type shooting or the do not. Unfortunately, some new shooters come to a match and 1) immediately ASSUME they have to have a JEDI light saber to compete or 2) they do not shoot well on their first try and never come back. I think Production was a great move and helps tremendously.

At the other extreme, I have seen new shooters come once and get hooked - they immediately start shopping for that expensive custom pistol that they know in their hearts will make them the next GM while I BEG them to shoot what they have or set up in Production with a G17/G34/M&P/etc to no avail. Soon they were deep in money into a sport but got disillusioned when very expensive gear did not transform them into the club champion the next match.

Also saw a trend of the "toy of the year" - we had a few shooters who went from one expensive hobby to the next on a yearly basis. Offshore fishing followed by USPSA followed by Sporting Clays followed by Harleys followed by Collector Cars, etc. I got some great deals on used guns from these shooters.

Crap, my original post came off as more of a statement of fact, rather than a question with some ideas that I had. That's what I get for writing a long post first thing in the morning with no coffee.

Ranger, I do very much agree that people either like that style of shooting or they don't. The thing that bothers me is that I see a few things, some real and some are misconceptions, that keep people from even trying it at all.

I heard so much of the "track and field" and "racegun" bit that I originally was thinking I would only be interested in IDPA, but even then, I doubted there was any shooting like that taking place close to me. It was a combination of some posters here opening my eyes to what USPSA really was, and hearing through the grapevine that there was a club close to me, that led me to where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The thing that bothers me is that I see a few things, some real and some are misconceptions, that keep people from even trying it at all.
    This is true, and it used to bother the kittens out of me. What I eventually realized, is that the vast majority of Americans have a near-impenetrable list of excuses for not trying something new. Your typical CCW holder hears that USPSA is all about $4000 Open blasters, or that you spend all day standing around to shoot for two minutes, and it just reinforces his natural predilection to plant his ass on the couch, drink beer, and watch TV.

I personally *LOVE* the idea of more clubs adopting the 3-2-1 stage layout. I get a little tired of endless 32-round field courses with no interesting shooting problems. But I don't think that such a rule would do much to attract new shooters.

Half-day matches might help. This wouldn't work for every club, but Peacemaker generally does A.M. and P.M. squads for their pistol matches (actually, they usually do two different pistol matches per day, A.M. and P.M. both - you can shoot IDPA in the morning and Action Pistol in the afternoon, if you're nuts...) It's a little easier to sneak away for half a day of shooting, then spend the other half-day with the family, etc.

I dunno, maybe have some open-to-the-public 'This is Practical Shooting' days, complete with demos, manufacturer booths, and USPSA membership applications? Peacemaker did something like that last month - a .22LR 3-gun match with additional long-range rifle, a bunch of FNH toys to demo, like that. I didn't make it out, but by all accounts it was pretty successful.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Site Supporter
    I rarely shoot IDPA or USPSA any more because of the time involved. The stand around all day to shoot for a couple of minutes you mention above is an issue. I generally go to a private range that is set up for the action type shooting and practice versus competing any more.

Though I think that having more small and medium courses would be better, I think USPSA has an image problem.

Due to how things operated in the past, we've allowed our detractors to paint USPSA/IPSC as a race gun only sport. If you don't have a $5,000 gun you are going to lose. Our detractors, either purposefully or through ignorance, haven't stayed abreast of the changed within USPSA to create divisions that allow virtually every gun to have a division where it can compete in with some evenness.

Another problem is that our matches typically happen at ranges in the middle of no where, so we don't get people that walk by and say "Hmm that looks fun maybe I should try it."

Now one way off the top of my head, would be to have booths at other more open to the public events. Like GSSF matches, gun shows, and such. Emphasize that as long as your gun is 9mm or over, and you have some basic equipment you can compete. That kind of stuff.

USPSA was not meant to be about CCW - unless CCW was faster, better, etc.... I don't think they "should" do anything to attract CCW necessarily. A philosophy of USPSA is "Freestyle" and that carries over to what the shooter gets out of participation. Essentially the shooter can attempt too, and take away from their participation whatever they want. Do you want to shoot your G19 appendix and pie corners and treat openings like threats, go for it and have a good time doing it.... Do you want to shoot all targets 2 to the body 1 to the head...go for it. You can even get your like minded pals to shoot things the same way, even give yourselves special rules and at the end see how you all shot.... that's all fine. Side rules, inside game, all allowed and encouraged... The freestyle attitude attracts many shooters as it is.

But USPSA has a rule book and within it division, etc. Not everyone will be completely happy. Make one happy in this area, make 2 unhappy at the change.

USPSA is always looking at ways to attract new shooters and a huge change occurred this year with revolver rules so it's not unheard of, but there had been a lot of communication to the BOD that this change was needed.

I know of 1 person who thinks USPSA should have a "defense" division where LEO's and CCW could shoot their carry gear and not be bumped to a different division albeit for gear placement or minor rule difference. But there are other options

My local club used to do a concealed carry version once a year where everyone had to carry concealed (it became somewhat absurd with open guys wearing big vest to conceal .38 supercomps with Cmore sights, but it was an attempt to appeal to those that wanted this challenge); another club in the section does a night match - and my club also does a outlaw match now with all sorts of local rules... My clubs "IDPA" is so far away from "official", and I know many clubs are making local allowance for things IDPA would not allow.

You may consider working with your local club and coming up with your own game that suites you and your like minded pals. I've heard some people have done that with success..

Good luck.

Site Supporter
    The average CCW type probably never heard of USPSA or IDPA.

They have no interest in training. Most don't even carry consistently.

Their carry gun is inappropriate without major match changes that would a tremendous hassle to organize. Shooting 20 or 30 rounds from an LCP or 642 would be something to see. Yes, skilled folks do this. Claude does quite well. I've done it with J frames every once in awhile for grins.

IDPA is a gentler intro to competition and more carry gun friendly - if you carry a double stack something.

In my area we are actually starting up a specific carry/bug gun match - 3 strings of 5 shots per stage with something buggy or pocket carry.

I think many men don't compete or train as they don't get the hook into them and are scared to look like a doofus. A man should be a great fighter and lover - be able to fix a car, blah,blah. Thus, they don't have the ego strength to come out and not be tops. Others of us get hooked and want to learn and do better.

To conclude - you need specific matches outside of USPSA typical standards and you need guys who try it.

Getting women to matches is a somewhat different issue and should be discuss but in this vein, I was aiming at the typical male who talks the gun talk and just shoots paper poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I rarely shoot IDPA or USPSA any more because of the time involved. The stand around all day to shoot for a couple of minutes you mention above is an issue.
    This is my major problem with shooting IDPA or USPSA matches these days. 5 hours of time, not including travel, to shoot 6 stages is ridiculous. If the matches could be kept to 4 hours I would be a lot more enthusiastic.

That being said, I enjoy shooting both sports but I think I prefer USPSA. It didn't used to bother me, but now at IDPA matches I get annoyed with the scenario setup where I am apparently being confronted 12 bad guys trying to rob me.

I'm not sure why but in my area there are numerous IDPA clubs and only one USPSA club that I know of.

I think just trying to get people out to shoot USPSA once would be a good start. It is a lot of fun.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Half-day matches might help. This wouldn't work for every club, but Peacemaker generally does A.M. and P.M. squads for their pistol matches (actually, they usually do two different pistol matches per day, A.M. and P.M. both - you can shoot IDPA in the morning and Action Pistol in the afternoon, if you're nuts...) It's a little easier to sneak away for half a day of shooting, then spend the other half-day with the family, etc.
    This, this, this! It's hard to carve a whole day out to go stand around on the range all day for a total of 3 minutes worth of shooting.

If I could do a half day event, I could shoot 10x more matches.

It would also be a lot less of an investment for newbies to come check out a match that way.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List