Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How we talk and post affects public perception

How we talk and post affects public perception

I am by no means the perfect role model for communicating. I would give myself a grade of about 7-8 on a 10 scale. I give myself about a 6 of 10 on the listening part.

As animals we developed language to communicate more complex ideas that come with having larger brains and self-awareness (well, most of us). We also need language to resolve conflict and collaborate. But because of our strong emotions, desires for conquest, fighting off predators, protecting our family, and just being a part of the ecology and of society, and building financial security, our communication has evolved in ways to suit those purposes.

But as modern civil society continues to evolve, and due to the need to create profits and prosperity for our businesses and families we must evolve better ways of communicating. Corporations are already training employees in customer service operations to say certain phrases in certain ways with a certain tenor to elicit a positive reaction from their customers and vendors, even IF the customer walks in unhappy.

We also see the new types of political ads that are less "hard hitting" because it tends to alienate some people. The science of effective and positive-based communication is here. And whether you like it or not, you are involved if you live in a modern country. These techniques are not only going to revolutionize the way businesses communicate with customers and vendors, but within businesses as well. The bottom line is these techniques are very successful. Anyone not embracing this change is at a competitive disadvantage, whether in business, home, politics or elsewhere.

And, because we learn to use these at work, we are learning to use them at home as well. And, we will need to use them in our public locations as well, which not only includes in-person, but also online. The sooner we learn to use these techniques, we will be in a position to better represent gun rights in the public space. This is not, as some might think, "enabling" weakness. This is developing a strength...a very powerful strength and a powerful tool to affect change in the public arena, at work, in our families, and everywhere that we communicate. These tools also allow us to better defuse confrontations, hold people accountable, deal with difficult people, and have all parties walking away feeling good. After all, if we can have a confrontation in a respectful manner, where every party feels respected and the outcome is what all parties are willing to support, then isn't that the best we can hope for? Of course sometimes that takes many meetings or confrontations, but if we get to the point where we get the results we want AND avoid a damaging confrontation, then that benefits everyone.

Take a look at a series of books called Crucial conversations, Crucial Confrontations, Crucial Accountability. These books teach these techniques. There are plenty of other books around teaching effective customer service.

When we can be effective and responsible public speakers for gun rights, I think over time we can win the fight against unreasonable gun controls. After all, we have a solid moral and Constitutional foundation to build upon. We have a right to defend ourselves and our families. And, guns are a valuable part of building strength within our society. Gun ownership is a valuable part of our American heritage. We have a great story to tell about the benefits of firearms in America. We have not been able to tell that story effectively because we shoot ourselves in our own feet through a lot of mistakes in the public domain which gun controllers use against us.

I have some other thoughts on this subject but I am going to leave it here for now. This is one of the best online forums I have ever been a member of. For the most part we are respectful, civil and helpful. This seems like a good place to start this kind of discussion.

I encourage discussion, but let's try and keep it on the subject and not make this personal.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

The "gun" debate has nothing to do with logic, reasoning, facts or miscommunications - it's about ideology. I understand perfectly clear what the anti-gun culture is saying and doing and the disparity in our opposing views and beliefs is not rooted in any misunderstanding.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    The "gun" debate has nothing to do with logic, reasoning, facts or miscommunications - it's about ideology. I understand perfectly clear what the anti-gun culture is saying and doing and the disparity in our opposing views and beliefs is not rooted in any misunderstanding.
    I believe the point being made by cclaxton isn't the need to persuade the committed anti-gun faction, it's to properly communicate with the undecided/apathetic/uncommitted, which as a group is probably orders of magnitude larger than the number of believers on either side of the debate.

While there is a great variety of opinion on gun rights and gun control, I am not suggesting that we are going to change the minds of the hard-core anti-gun advocates. I am not sure I would call it ideological, but certainly fundamentalist.

But that leaves the majority of Americans who are moderate, undecided or somewhere in the middle. Most of these people simply don't have much experience with firearms, if any. They also get misinformed through the media and through anti-gun groups and through other means. The hearts and minds that we should be focusing on is the majority in the middle. That is a huge opportunity.

Improving our messaging and choosing how we talk publicly is primarily for the audience in the middle. And, a great majority of Americans support gun rights...the political/policy fight is not the fundamental right, but the "reasonable use." That is where we need to take the fight.

The better we communicate and work together to have a great story and non-extreme language, the more of those people we win over.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    While there is a great variety of opinion on gun rights and gun control, I am not suggesting that we are going to change the minds of the hard-core anti-gun advocates. I am not sure I would call it ideological, but certainly fundamentalist.

But that leaves the majority of Americans who are moderate, undecided or somewhere in the middle. Most of these people simply don't have much experience with firearms, if any. They also get misinformed through the media and through anti-gun groups and through other means. The hearts and minds that we should be focusing on is the majority in the middle. That is a huge opportunity.

Improving our messaging and choosing how we talk publicly is primarily for the audience in the middle. And, a great majority of Americans support gun rights...the political/policy fight is not the fundamental right, but the "reasonable use." That is where we need to take the fight.

The better we communicate and work together to have a great story and non-extreme language, the more of those people we win over.
    Cody
    Not to be Mr Negative, but how can we achieve that?

The antis have a very good trump card in the form of the Mainstream Media. It's a great tool they use to unite their talking points. Even if their talking points are ridiculous, when everyone from Chuck Schumer to Obama to Feinstein to CNN to Fox News are repeating the same line almost word for word it lends social credibility. 'How can everyone in the media, pop culture, and government be so wrong about opposing the 2nd Amendment ' thinks the layman.

We don't have a practical way to oppose that. YouTube ain't it-and half the channels are of fat guys in remote culverts talking about "stopping power" while they run around in faux combat gear marked "Zombie Response Team".

We can start our own media outlet, but the costs to do that are enormous. I don't have the billions of dollars necessary for the job, otherwise I'd gladly do it.

Without a massive investment of resources in our own media team , we don't have a way to coordinate our message. Some folks will be doing the right thing by writing their reps and getting involved, while others will continue to harass restaraunts with absurd displays of firepower . Some gun owners will support any law which doesn't touch their 1911s and bolt action .308s, and others don't care as long as CCW in their neck of the woods is legalized.
    Fragmentation is our enemy, not Bloomberg or Feinstein. I'm open to suggestions in solving this problem-because if we dont, in twenty years we'll end up being the generation who gets to tell unbelievable stories about the "good ol days" when you could buy a gun at a retail business .
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I'm pretty certain history will tell you where the "reasonable use" strategy will get you, but that's just my take on that.

I'm certainly not against anything you're proposing, but we've got to demand the involvement of a large advocacy group like the NRA to make it meaningful. The problem with that idea is that gun-owners themselves are the most apathetic group with a dog in this fight. I've heard it estimated that we have upwards of 80 million gun-owners in America and less than 6 million of them care enough to send someone else a measly $35 a year to do the heavy-lifting. If I was part of the "mindless middle", that fact alone would lead me to believe that my active or passive participation in this discussion isn't vital to anything of consequence.

The face and strategies of the NRA need some serious reform, but until gun-owners themselves get off their hands (and wallets) it's unrealistic to expect the undecided to be effectively swayed one way or the other. But having just said that; If the NRA had 80 million members on the books and was making effective use of that horsepower, we wouldn't probably have need for this discussion.

But, that's not a reality so carry on my friend ..... I'm behind you all the way.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 05-30-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    This is one of the best online forums I have ever been a member of.
    ...of which you have been a member.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ...of which you have been a member.
    He can end a sentence with a preposition if he wants to!

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Anyways TL;DR.

I'm pretty certain history will tell you where the "reasonable use" strategy will get you, but that's just my take on that.

I'm certainly not against anything you're proposing, but we've got to demand the involvement of a large advocacy group like the NRA to make it meaningful. The problem with that idea is that gun-owners themselves are the most apathetic group with a dog in this fight. I've heard it estimated that we have upwards of 80 million gun-owners in America and less than 6 million of them care enough to send someone else a measly $35 a year to do the heavy-lifting. If I was part of the "mindless middle", that fact alone would lead me to believe that my active or passive participation in this discussion isn't vital to anything of consequence.

The face and strategies of the NRA need some serious reform, but until gun-owners themselves get off their hands (and wallets) it's unrealistic to expect the undecided to be effectively swayed one way or the other. But having just said that; If the NRA had 80 million members on the books and was making effective use of that horsepower, we wouldn't probably have need for this discussion.

But, that's not a reality so carry on my friend ..... I'm behind you all the way.

I agree - as soon as I took my NRA required safety course, I joined the NRA.

Can you imagine their ability to lobby in gun owners favor with additional funding from a dedicated membership?!

While I may disagree with some of their opinions, I am all for protecting my rights. I happen to live in a crappy state for gun ownership (CT), and it's very distressing to see the direction gun control is heading. Even something as simple as the mag cap is a pain in the butt! Took me a long time to get involved in gun ownership, and now I can see things from the other side of the fence.

It probably Wouldn't hurt gun owners if some of the folks would not post the utterly irresponsible videos on You Tube that certainly don't show gun owners as responsible! I take this freedom with a great respect. And responsibility.

User Tag List