Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World Speed Shooting Championships doesn't even have 100 entries yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    What is bad about it being in Utah? I'm honestly curious.
    Me too. While I don't think moving it to Utah is the best plan, it certain bets the hell out of Frostproof, which is basically the most miserable place in the world.

Site Supporter
    I think that national level matches should try to rotate across the country - west, central, east - so that more shooters could get exposed to the opportunity. I know it is easier to find one location that has all the infrastructure, etc and keep going back.

What is bad about it being in Utah? I'm honestly curious.
    Good coffee and good beer can be a challenge. Otherwise a pretty good state.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I know it is easier to find one location that has all the infrastructure, etc and keep going back.
    As the NRA found out. Unless they bring an established crew to do the setup, fixed courses of fire like this should be at fixed locations. These fixed course matches aren't like a USPSA match, where if the actual stage even resembles the stage diagram we call it good.

The crew out in Titusville for the US Steel Nationals uses surveyor equipment to find the exact height of the box, and the plates. They then cut the wood uprights so the height appears to be exactly the same stage to stage. This results when you go down range to paint that some stages the plates are quite low to the ground, while on others they are quite high up depending on the slope of the bay. This is the type of equipment and dedication that you get when it is in one place, you don't get the same when it travels unless the setup crew is brought in.

Honestly Frostproof isn't that bad, particularly for the late October/early November match dates it started with. Yes in July Frostproof sucks, it is hot and humid with no sea breeze, and there are the afternoon rain showers. What about the Clark County Shooting Complex. That is a west coast location, a city with plenty of hotels, entertainment, and transportation options to get there. IIRC they've hosted a USPSA Nationals or two.

Caleb,

You've mentioned before that you feel USPSA is failing to market Steel Challenge properly. I pretty much agree. Thing is I don't really have any idea how to market it. How would you sell it to the masses?

You've mentioned before that you feel USPSA is failing to market Steel Challenge properly. I pretty much agree. Thing is I don't really have any idea how to market it. How would you sell it to the masses?
    I think that marketing it as the introductory shooting sport would be best at the local level.

And at the state and national level they should attempt to market themselves be the other side of the coin of Bianchi. Bianchi is the ultimate of accuracy in action shooting, Steel Challenge is the ultimate in speed.

Caleb,

Two separate issues, marketing the sport of Steel Challenge and marketing the World Speed Shoot itself. I was actually going to write a post on Monday about it.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Two separate issues, marketing the sport of Steel Challenge and marketing the World Speed Shoot itself. I was actually going to write a post on Monday about it.

Tease!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Good coffee and good beer can be a challenge. Otherwise a pretty good state.
    You'll be surprised how good some of the local breweries are. I just came from the East Coast and some of local offerings were sold in trendy pubs there.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post

Tease!
    Sorry, it was pretty late and I realized my thoughts were a lot more complex. It's now turned into a five part series, here's part one: The business of the shooting sports, General Trends. Because it's a complex subject, I'm going to split it off into its own thread, because it covers a lot of the stuff that's in this thread and the "how should USPSA market" thread. The USPSA specific post goes up on Wednesday.

User Tag List