Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used S&W 5906s for sale

Good question. Off hand (opinion only), I'd say no. Those guns, with the exception of a few special runs for agencies still using them- W. Virginia State Police, Kalifornia Highway Patrol probably being the two most prominent ones- have been out of print for quite a while.

Now keep in mind that is has been over 25 years since I was last at the factory. Having said that, they USED to keep a tremendous stock of pieces/parts for their various offerings on hand. Which means they may still have some 3rd Gen semi-auto parts laying around in Springfield, but don't count on it. Certain parts for "old school" (i.e., non-MIM/non-lock guns) revolvers have all but dried up; I have had three calls in the last few months, from old acquaintances back in my PPC days, looking for various K frame parts that the factory claims to have no more of. With revolvers all but gone in military/LE circles, there isn't enough civilian demand to make more.

Remember that many of those revolver parts (ditto on the bottom feeders) were produced by skilled craftsmen on old tooling/machinery. Most of those guys are either dead or retired, and the few people left with those skills demand a higher wage than S&W is willing to pay. That's why they developed the MIM parts in the first place. Its all about the bottom line; and the "Who owns us THIS week?" situation didn't help any either, I have no doubt.

I'll put it to you this way… I have a decent stash of K frame "real" parts, and ain't nobody getting them… at any price. I can't say for sure because I've never been interested in those guns, but I would imagine the situation is similar for 3rd Gen semi-auto parts. I.e., there will be guys who have a stash, but as far as making a quick order from WeBeGlocks.com… or the factory… well, good luck with that.

According to S&W, they keep a supply of spare parts on hand to repair guns that are still in agency use. Mostly CHP, and some legacy guns with LAPD according to the guy I talked to. If you end up needing a part and send your gun to Smif, they'll be able to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Thanks. Do you know if Smith typically continues making parts occasionally for these slightly older pieces? I'd hate to need something and not have it.
    I don't know how true it is, but I read on the interweb recently that S&W was going to quit manufacturing parts for the 3rd gens. It read like they were phasing them out altogether.

Even if it is true, I suspect there are plenty of parts warehoused.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    So that makes a 5906 from Caleb and a 6946 from elsewhere I have coming in.

Yes, I have a problem.
    3/15/2016

It appears I may need to start selling 3rd gen S&W parts.

I have a butt-load of grips for these things BTW.

And FWIW, I think the 3rd gen S&Ws are easier to work on than many other guns, in some case MUCH easier. They ain't Glocks, but they also ain't a Beretta 92 series or the fun you get from trying to detail out an HK frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ... the fun you get from trying to detail out an HK frame.
    I'd rather tackle a USP-or-later HK detail strip job than ANY 3rd Gen S&W.

Now, when you're talking a P9S or the staple gun (P7), well, you'll get no argument from me there.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I'd rather tackle a USP-or-later HK detail strip job than ANY 3rd Gen S&W.

Now, when you're talking a P9S or the staple gun (P7), well, you'll get no argument from me there.

I always found the S&Ws easy, but when I tried to change out a trigger spring on my USP .45 I almost got to the point of driving to Germany to murder firearms designers.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    or the staple gun (P7)
    I've actually never heard that one. You made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I always found the S&Ws easy, but when I tried to change out a trigger spring on my USP .45 I almost got to the point of driving to Germany to murder firearms designers.
    Yeah, the TRS is the only real bug-a-boo; ya gotta hold your mouth just right.

I hear that the tool offered by HKParts.net is the shizz… but I have gotten along okay with just a couple of small cup punches… you remember, the kind needed to remove/install the little pins in S&W revolver triggers, back when they were made out of real steel???

User Tag List