Thread: Series 80 maintenance

Series 80 maintenance

I will be acquiring a Colt 1991 with the Series 80 firing pin block. Is there any special maintenance or function checking that I should perform on the Series 80 system?

Many people express concerns over reliability of this system. Is it any less reliable than the firing pin safeties on modern Glocks or Sigs? I get the whole "JMB didn't think it necessary" thing, but it seems that one additional layer of drop safety has merit as long as it is reliable.

Somebody smarter than me needs to flesh this out, but if the series 80 bits are well executed they don't jack up the trigger pull too badly. If they do they can be amended with a very light polish. I have seen two s80 systems that were so badly timed that they dragged the firing pin, but that was a long time ago and it's a much bigger problem with Swartz safeties. If your trigger pull doesn't suck and the gun passes the pencil test with alacrity then don't worry about it. Just pull the guts every 2-5k rounds and put them back properly, and do a pencil test any time they come out.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Pencil test being, incidentally, the eraser-first insertion of a pencil into the unloaded pistol's bore, tilting of the pistol up, and seeing how far the pencil goes in the air. For a 1911 getting it out of the bore is a good start. For a Glock getting the pencil to move at all is a trick. Be really mindful of safe direction when doing this trick -- I aim at the top of the foundation of my basement.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Thanks JAD. Is the Series 80 any more problematic than the systems used on Glocks, Sigs, etc? I've never heard anyone complain about those.

I prefer a Series 70 system on my 1911s, but any concern over the Series 80 system is wasted effort. It's the least obtrusive and most reliable of all the passive safeties introduced to the 1911 design. While I prefer an S70 an S80 system wouldn't stop me from buying a nice 1911, and I've owned and shot more of those over the last three decades than anything else. As for trigger pull: the average shooter probably wouldn't note a difference in the trigger feel of an S70 v. a S80. If JMB was designing pistols today they'd probably have polymer frames and strikers. He'd probably be shocked we're still using the 1911. The whole "JMB is God" thing is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Thanks JAD. Is the Series 80 any more problematic than the systems used on Glocks, Sigs, etc? I've never heard anyone complain about those.
    As a system no. There were periods when Colt couldn't hit the sidewalk with a bucket of paint, though, so there have been cases of poor execution in the world.
    Ignore Alien Orders

With high round count use, the side of the disconnecter cut that is interrupted for the slide plunger can begin to deform.

I prefer no firing pin "safety" in 1911 pistols, but I MUCH prefer a Series 80 arrangement to any of the ones that use the grip safety to accuate the plunger.

Rosco

I'm gonna go against the grain, and say for carry use, i prefer the S.80 configuration. I have pistols by LAV, Novak, CT Brian, and Garthwaite. All have great triggers and have the added protection the FP safety provides. My favorite 1911's are S.70 or Pre 70, but my S80's never give me pause.

It seems the Colt Deltas (which were all S.80) deformed their disconnector cuts faster than other models. I don't profess to know why.

The problem with the pencil test is that the safety plunger can be partially unblocked and when the firing pin strikes it, it pushes it out of the way. If it strikes it even a little bit, the two parts will start to peen and eventually lead to failure. I prefer to test the Series 80 safety the following way:

1. Unload and double check that the firearm is unloaded and the chamber is empty.
    2. Lower the hammer all of the way.
    3. Grip the pistol so the grip safety is fully depressed. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold it there.
    4. Pull the hammer to the rear and hold it rearward with the thumb of your shooting hand.
    5. With your other hand, take a punch and push the firing pin forward. If it fails to move fully forward or if you feel any "tick" then the safety plunger is not being raised high enough to fully unblock the firing pin. Either back out the trigger overtravel stop until the firing pin moves without any resistance or advance the Series 80 timing. The easiest way is to install a NM Firing Pin Plunger Lever
    Dave Berryhill

Thanks for the insight Dave.

User Tag List