Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone having issues with 115gr 9mm American Eagle ?

Anyone having issues with 115gr 9mm American Eagle ?

I have been getting failures to extract (fired cartridge stuck in chamber) with 115 grain AE9DP (I think recently produced) through a brand new sig p229R-1 (long ejector slide) and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same issue. In the first 400 rounds, I had 6 of the exact same FTEs in different magazines. Since then, I have switched to 115 grain Magtech FMJ and 147 grain Speer Lawman TMJ, all with no issues - currently at 1050 rounds.

The malfunction I am getting:
    http://imgur.com/fOvMMXK

More worrying to me is that remedial action did not correct this (i.e. lock, eject, rack, rack, rack) and the only way the cases were dislodged from the chamber was by smacking the pistol against a hard surface.

Not sure if I need to "break in" the pistol more, if it is an issue with the pistol itself, or if its an ammunition issue. Any ideas what might be causing this? Thank you very much!

Frankly, my subjective experience has been that American Eagle is the most reliable ammo I've shot (practice ammo) in 9mm. Most accurate, most reliable, least flash. I've shot around 10,000 rounds of it. I have shot around 4,000 rounds of the magtech, and while it is also very reliable, the accuracy seems to be a little less than the American eagle and it has more flash.

American Eagle is my first choice in range ammunition and it works great for me. In 9mm I have used the 115gr/124gr/147gr with excellent results.

After encountering several near squibs (cases left in the chamber) and some clearly over pressure Winchester white box, I am switching over to Federal AE exclusively for training ammo. The AE has never let me down and the accuracy of the 124, in particular, has been outstanding.

Appreciate the feedback everyone! I'm guessing it's more of an issue with my Sig, particularly since it is new. I'll probably go back to AE9DP after a few more hundred rounds to see if the issue has resolved.

AE has been pretty GTG for me, though nothing is immune from problems. I've also had good luck with the plated Federal RTP line.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    I've seen quite a bit of QC/QA failures with ALL the ammo out there these days. Crushed case mouths, missing/improperly oriented primers, upside down projectiles, etc. The ammo makers are running outside of their production capacity and it shows. Federal AE is good training ammo, but it's not perfect. Pay particular attention to any duty/carry ammo and visually check EVERY round you put in service.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've seen quite a bit of QC/QA failures with ALL the ammo out there these days. Crushed case mouths, missing/improperly oriented primers, upside down projectiles, etc. The ammo makers are running outside of their production capacity and it shows. Federal AE is good training ammo, but it's not perfect. Pay particular attention to any duty/carry ammo and visually check EVERY round you put in service.
    Word to this. The only company I've not had issues with recently has been Hornady. Presses are running like mad trying to keep up with demand, especially in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've had more bad ammo in the last couple of years than in a much longer period. Amazing amounts of fail are getting out.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Hornady does me good usually, but I just had a box of Critical Duty 9 which was labelled standard pressure but contained +P (as evidenced by both headstamp and chrono).

User Tag List