Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question re: Glock 34/35

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I had a brief email discussion with LAV several years ago regarding the viability of the G34; at least at that time he indicated no experienced or observed issues with the G34, but questioned why I'd choose a G34 over a G17.

Any concern over the slide top cut-out can be easily assuaged with a piece of speedy 100 mph tape or masking tape. Similar could be applied to the slide butt opening wad some up first, and then apply a sealing piece)-or use a butt plug.

I can see where those experiencing high velocity sand/dirt/dust might want to have those apertures somewhat closed off (along with a more protective flap holster utilized), but for the vast majority of us, I suspect it's a total non-issue.

Best, Jon
    At the risk of sending this thread somewhere it really shouldn't go, what is the "butt plug" you mentioned? Is that an after market part to pop in the hole?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

I found the quote of LAV talking about it:

"The thing that concerns me about the 34 and 35 is the large open slot on top of the slide - if you drop the gun and debris gets in that area it can shut the gun down instantly

For that reason alone I personally don't consider it a duty weapon - I know many use it as such and to each his own but given a choice I would choose a G17 any day

Hope this helps and be safe"

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....r-the-Glock-34
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    I found the quote of LAV talking about it: "The thing that concerns me about the 34 and 35 is the large open slot on top of the slide - if you drop the gun and debris gets in that area it can shut the gun down instantly [/url]
    Has he expressed an opinion on the Beretta?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful John View Post
    That's the question that sprang to my mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful John View Post
    I don't know what Mr. Vickers would say about the Beretta, but to me at least, the G34/35 slide openings are very different than the Beretta 92 open slide. There is space to jam a stick, rock, sand, etc, into the open slots of the G34/35 and end up packing it in there, while the Beretta doesn't have the same type of "pocket" in the slide. The entire Beretta slide is open and there is nowhere for anything to get packed in. This is with the slide closed. With the action open is a different issue.

Whether in actuality the Glock's could overcome all that "stuff" packed in those slots better than the Beretta with debris anywhere on the gun, I don't know, but the Glock has more space for that stuff to get packed into it.

Site Supporter
    This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode of "Fusilli Jerry"

It was a million to one shot, doc, million to one....

LSP SWAT had 60 G35s in use for a decade. There were no issues in urban or rural operations or training. They have wallowed in mud and ran like sewing machines. I've also carried a G34 for a number of years.

So much is contex. I wouldn't pick one to carry for military use the sandbox, but for LE use, even hard use, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Ken

I'd go with a G34 packed full of sand before I'd pick a LAV 1911 that had a handful of dust thrown in its direction...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode of "Fusilli Jerry"
    Same here.

I know a number of tac teams have been using the G34/G35 for a long time without issue. JSO would be one of them and they use their Glocks a fair bit in a pretty wide array of circumstances. If I had to carry a Glock as a police officer I'd pack my Gen4 G34 in a heartbeat.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    At the risk of sending this thread somewhere it really shouldn't go, what is the "butt plug" you mentioned? Is that an after market part to pop in the hole?
    And this from a person who's antecedants can be questioned by his screen name initials...Seriously, there's quite the cottage industry devoted to plugs to close up the open aperture at the heel of Glocks. The open aperture was originally designed to drain accumulated snow/ice/condensate/water from the receiver (Austria apparently has mountains in addition to apfelstrudel and torten); it also probably simplified the mold design/manufacturing/molding process.

Some think that such a plug speeds reloading (precluding the magazine from catching on the aperture shelf or edge), others think it seals out foreign debris. Most probably don't care one way or another, unless a specific need comes up. I do have one in my Glock parts kit "just in case." "Just in case" hasen't occurred yet...

Best, Jon

User Tag List