Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #4 Buckshot for home defense use

I've shot a lot of buckshot over the years doing test similar to the kind of thing you see on the Box of Truth videos. Even more so the last couple years since I got Lee bullet molds for 00 and #4 buck. I've even shot up about a thousand rounds of what I call hillbilly buck that is just discarded mold sprues some place is cutting and selling straight to the scrap yard. I bought a 50 gallon drum of them to pour bullets from and decided to just load them straight in to shotgun shells. Since I started that I haven't even poured any more buck shot.

Buck shot and shot guns are not a science equation you get out a micrometer and decide this one has .09% more energy than that one and so it must be the last word absolute solution. It's ridiculous to think switching from 00 to #4 buck is now making this safe for bystanders and a death ray to bad guys.

If it's still a threat, shoot it again. It's that simple, it really is. IF you've shot someone once already with 00 buck, #4 buck, or even bird shot, and he can then get the drop on you and shoot YOU BEFORE you can shoot them again, then you need to trade your gun in for new kicks because you need to do less shooting and more running.

Just an example but what kind of weapon are we talking about here?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/810...llets-box-of-5

8 shots of #4, those are "about" 25 cal lead balls and 41 of them out the barrel every time you pull the trigger. 328, 25 cal. lead balls each traveling about 1200 fps total shot load with out reloading.

In the normal 30x30 two story salt box of a house where it's pretty much impossible to make any shot on a threat inside the house further than about 45 feet tops, that sounds better armed to me than 10, 22 caliber bullets.

I've gone out the front door to kill a lot of coyotes, dogs, and beavers the last couple years with that shotgun and all of the buck shot options and nothing I've pointed it at in that time, not one, has escaped. The buck shot choice hasn't made a bit of difference that I could tell.

"I would stick with the hi-brass #6,5, or 4 turkey or pheasant loads."
    Does the anatomy and physiology of a violent aggressor change "depending on where and how you live", the number of individuals in your dwelling, or whether they are confronted by LE or an armed citizen???

There are good reasons why the 12-18" projectile penetration range is recommended for armed encounters where lethal force is required to defend lives...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List