Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #4 Buckshot for home defense use

#4 Buckshot for home defense use

Did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic, though that surprises me so I am open to the possibility this has been discussed before.

Anyway, I am currently running an 870 for HD, with #4 buckshot in the tube and 00 buck on the side saddle. I have previously run all 00 in the past, but was convinced to go with #4 based on the suggestion of some local trainers that it has sufficient penetration while reducing the chances of missed shots injuring bystanders in a suburban setting.

I have a .45ACP service pistol as well as my carry gun handy. The 870 would be deployed in a stationary role only; covering the door while the police make their way to me. Any investigations of bumps in the night fall under the purview of the .45. The house is one level, so the possibility to shoot down stairs or have a reliable backstop is not there.

Finally, a semi-automatic rifle is out of the question; they are highly restricted in my state (NY), and 10 rounds is the magazine limit which in my opinion makes them substantially less useful compared to a shotgun. I am well-aware of the performance of 5.56 in drywall, but alas I believe the 870 is the best choice for my situation.

What is the current groupthink on #4 buckshot for home defense use? Go back to the 00 or is my thinking here good?

Im no SME, but my HD shotguns carry high brass #6 or Turkey loads. There are a variety of YouTube videos that will give you insight as to what buckshot will do.

For general purpose LE use I am not a fan of 4 buck, but then again I have also seen a couple of dudes rendered DIRT with a single unobstructed hit of #4 at closer range. One fellow went to the ground so fast I thought he was in some sort of extra heavy gravity warp.

The best buckshot for duty/self-defense is #1, as noted here: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...or-LE-duty-use.

#4 tends to have penetration on the shallow side, while #00 tends to go too deep.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

In to follow the thread.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    #4 tends to have penetration on the shallow side, while #00 tends to go too deep.
    Since Federal LE132-1B seems to be unobtanium, is 132-00 the next best available choice?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

In IN.I used #4buck for fox and coyotes.
    I turn my Rem 870 Turkey gun into a hunting/tactical shotgun

with extra full choke I could get nice patterns at 45Y. unlike my 18inch savage 12GA or my M37

I like 00 low recoil for SD or HD

Banned
    Howdy Scotchman,

A little more info is needed to provide a good answer.

1.) What is your living arrangement? Do you live alone, with just your wife, or a whole house full of kids and other adults?

2.) What do you live in? A house in the country with the nearest neighbor being a 1/2 mile away, a subdivision on a 1/2 acre lot, an apartment/condo/townhouse, duplex, trail park, etc.?

I would recommend a different load depending on where and how you live.

"OO" or "OOO" if you live alone or with just your wife if you live in the country.

#4BS would be ok if you lived in a subdivision without any kids.

Throw in kids in the mix or other adults living with me then I would recommend a hi-brass #6,5, or 4 turkey or pheasant load due to lower penetration through sheetrock walls in your house.

Trailer park: nothing heavier than #6 shot.

If it's just you and you're Mom living together and you sleep in different bedrooms I would stick with the hi-brass #6,5, or 4 turkey or pheasant loads.

HTH

Paul

#4 buck was tried- and discarded- by both the military and LE decades ago.

In the LE profession, that's called "a clue"…

Site Supporter
    I was going to ask in this thread - why are 10 shots of easier to shoot and efficacious ammo less attractive than 8 shots in shotgun? Also, reloading from a side saddle isn't the world's fastest reload as compared to another mag.

I guess I deal with this by having both for HD but I do have a 20 round mag (easier to manage around the house) in the AR. If I'm reloading in a HD situation after 20 rounds, well - I'm SOL but the handgun with 18 rounds is there also. TX.

But even in NY - I don't see that OP premise unless it is the shotgun as ultimate stopping power, etc.

User Tag List