Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thyrm switchback / chris costa flashlight ring

Thyrm switchback / chris costa flashlight ring

Hi,
    I need some advice:

Is anyone actually (not just heard about it, saw something on youtube etc.)
    using these rings from thyrm?
    http://www.recoilweb.com/thoughts-on...use-42903.html
    Im running a surefire combat ring on my g2x light for about 2 years now.
    But I got curious about the switchback rings, since its a complete different techniqe.

I can't use a weapon mounted light on my service pistol, because theres no rail on it.
    A couple of my collegues and me want to give those switchback rings a shot, but maybe you can tell me right away that I don't have to waste my money on them?

I live and work in germany, so I thought I do some research before I have them shipped all the way over here.

Cheers

I have had one for two months, I like it for what it is. I use it with a E1b though so unsure about the G2. I search with a neck/jaw index and if I have time plan to switch to a two hand grip utilizing the thyrm.

Harries + Practice

That ringy thingy might be good for shooting but that looks like it. Simple tailcap operating handheld light, gripped so your thumb works the button is very versatile. Jaw index puts you in a position very similar to Steve Tarani's "big nose" technique of protecting the head and neck. Very quick and easy to transition between Harries, Reverse Harries and jaw index with a bit of practice.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...-27-Houston-TX

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Harries + Practice

That ringy thingy might be good for shooting but that looks like it. Simple tailcap operating handheld light, gripped so your thumb works the button is very versatile. Jaw index puts you in a position very similar to Steve Tarani's "big nose" technique of protecting the head and neck. Very quick and easy to transition between Harries, Reverse Harries and jaw index with a bit of practice.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...-27-Houston-TX

I'm not sure what you think it impedes? I can still accomplish all regular grips plus what the thyrm offers.

Thanks for your replys so far.
    I'm a bit concerned if the light stays on when you fire multiple shots. My light has the surefire momentary on tailcap
    and it happends to me alot with my surefire combat ring, that my light goes on/off/on/off... when I shoot longer strings.
    That is because I cant keep constant pressure on the switch when the gun recoils. Its a bit easier when I m wearing gloves...

Rogers technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Thanks for your replys so far.
    I'm a bit concerned if the light stays on when you fire multiple shots. My light has the surefire momentary on tailcap
    and it happends to me alot with my surefire combat ring, that my light goes on/off/on/off... when I shoot longer strings.
    That is because I cant keep constant pressure on the switch when the gun recoils. Its a bit easier when I m wearing gloves...
    It doesn't, you have to apply significant and deliberate pressure with your thumb to activate the tail cap

Site Supporter
    I have been using it for a couple of months. The only thing I found with it is it always oriented down at about waist level. Since I can use a weapon mounted light as well I like that it oriented that way so I had full light coverage on the body. I can still use the flashlight with a harries or neck index if I like, so it is a win win. I have been using it on a 6P, but I also tried it with a G2 and it worked just fine.

I’ve been running it for a month now and other than being a little tricky to get just right on the G2 (installation), zero problems. The biggest benefit is retention while transitioning from its intended use to search mode and vice versa. The pocket clip seemed a little weak at first but it actually works perfectly in my uniform pants pocket (front non shooting hand). I can deploy it quicker than when I carried my flashlight on a holster on my duty belt. Also if you watch the product video the little flip they use to switch hands positions works very well. I was able to deploy it from search mode to shooting mode without dropping it (during FOF). If you don’t have a weapon mounted light or rails on your duty weapon this would be the way to go.
    I will say that when I first got it and played with it, I thought that it felt unnatural. But after putting it through the paces at work and in conjunction with my dry fire practice I must say it is definitely an improvement over the Graham combat rings and the syringe method for a flashlight of that size.

All right, I think i'll give it a shot!
    Thanks guys!

User Tag List