Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 340 PD

I would very humbly agree with LSP972, and strongly recommend the Plug. It's not horribly difficult to do yourself, especially if you buy a neat little $20 tool from Brownells.

Of course, I have an entire toolbox full of neat little $20 tools from Brownells.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Did you simply remove the "flag"? That's the flat piece with the nub that locks the hammer. This is the obvious quick-fix, but one fraught with peril. That's what I did… and after five or so years and a couple of thousand rounds, the remaining cylindrical mechanism got jarred loose and 'fell into' the gun, locking up the hammer tighter than Dick's hatband.

Fortunately, this occurred on the range.

When you remove that "flag", you're leaving about 1.5mm of space between the side of the hammer and what's left of the mechanism.

Best bet is to remove the flag, grind off the nub, and replace the flag. She'll run happily ever after. Or buy The Plug and knock out the entire mechanism. That's what I did after deciding I didn't care for that gaping hole in the frame, after removing the remainder of the mechanism.

Sorry if you already knew all of this; but I have run across numerous post-lock J frames whose owners did what I did initially… and were an unknown number of rounds away from potential disaster.
    No apology necessary, I appreciate your help.
    I didn't know that the remaining lock mechanism (keyway and all) might come loose and fall into the gun.

Is The Plug you mentioned the item made and sold by Bullseye Smith on the S&W Forum, or something else?

If it's that one, I've not gone that route yet, but now you've inspired me to do so!
    Last edited by SAWBONES; 05-18-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I would very humbly agree with LSP972, and strongly recommend the Plug. It's not horribly difficult to do yourself, especially if you buy a neat little $20 tool from Brownells.

Of course, I have an entire toolbox full of neat little $20 tools from Brownells.
    I love tools.
    Which neat little $20 tool from Brownells are you referring to?
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Yeah, the dealer (different than that link) I bought it from advertised they had 4 no-locks at the time. Hopefully there will be more of them out there...

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Is The Plug you mentioned the item made and sold by Bullseye Smith on the S&W Forum, or something else?
    Could be; I truly do not remember; its been six+ years since I bought mine. I did get the guy's contact info off of the S&W Forum, though, so that must be him.

As for needing that tool; you'll need something of hold the little clip while you snap it into place. I used a pair of jewelers' needle nose pliers I use in my modeling hobby.

But The Plug works. Mine has been in there for 6+ years. I carry that revolver every day, and have put a couple of thousand rounds though it since installing The Plug. Its totally trouble-free; install it and forget it.

I love tools.
    Which neat little $20 tool from Brownells are you referring to?
    Apex Tactical has a nice Youtube clip where Scott Folk explains how to install their kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIUfmg1JulE

At the 3:40 mark, he shows you a spiffy little tool to use. This is the magic doodad you seek: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...l-prod774.aspx

It's the S&W rebound slide spring tool. Hope that helps.

That's the gent I purchased mine from. John's product is worth the $25 for the piece of mind.

LSP972 and SeriousStudent, thank you both.

Site Supporter
    Regarding cleaning solvents, I did submit an inquiry to Smith & Wesson, and just got an e-mail from them recommending Hoppe's Elite.
    I figure that, and nylon brushes, should keep it "clean enough"...

User Tag List