Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 340 PD

Site Supporter

340 PD

I just picked up a new 340 PD (with the titanium cylinder) with no lock. Not terribly cheap, but really not much more than what I think they were going for in 2008 when I bought my 642. I was under the impression that Smith wasn't making these any more, and that the online retailer I bought it from had just come across some new old stock.

I picked it up today from my local FFL, and the fired cartridge case said February of 2014. Maybe they make small batches still? I thought it was cool that it looks like Smith might still be making these -- maybe they'll bring back the 342.

Anyway, it's a nice gun, and feels much lighter in my pocket of my work khakis than my 642 airweight.

I managed to get out to the range this evening and fired about 60-70 rounds or so -- all .38 special. No bullet pulling issues in either the 130 grain practice ammo, the 135 + P gold dots or the 110 critical defense standard pressure. That round count was probably enough. It's not awful to shoot, but ...

I noticed the factory grips weren't conducive to my HKS speedloader. I'll probably replace the grips with either Crimson Trace 405s or 105s. I have 405's on my 642, and I'm not sure I like the cushioned backstrap --seems to pinch the web of my hand when I get a high grip. It has the red ramped sight, which seemed pretty good.

Does anyone who has these guns have any recommendations for cleaning solvents with this gun? The manual says standard cleaning solvents, no ammonia, etc. Maybe Hoppe's elite or just CLP? I know you have to be super careful with the titanium on these...

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I know you have to be super careful with the titanium on these...

Thanks,
    Indeed you do. The titanium has a clear coat of some sort that, if breached, will allow flame-cutting erosion to commence.

I have a 360PD and a 342. The 360PD has a lot of rounds (several thousand) through it, almost all .38s; the 342, a few hundred. I stick with jacketed bullets- TRUE jacketed bullets, not the "plated" variety- to elinimate leading, which must be scrubbed out. Scrubbing is bad for that clear coat.

I use Hoppes #9 solvent and stiff nylon brushes on the cylinder. I found a test tube brush that is slightly large than the charge hole ID which does a good job of keeping the charge holes clean. The cylinder face gets cleaned with solvent and your basic M-16 toothbrush. The barrel liners are stainless, so a regular bronze bore brush is okay for the bore. Just remember to be careful when cleaning the bore, and don't let the bore brush bang into the recoil shield. Repeated impacts here can peen the hole where the firing pin comes through, with predictable issues following.

I'm interested in the fact that you have a 340PD without the lock. It was my understanding that none existed, since S&W supposedly didn't start producing the "magnum" AirLites until after full integration of the new frame with lock. My 342 is lock-free, but my information is that only a few thousand of these made it out the factory door before the change. Just goes to show, with S&W you never know...

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate if you could PM me the first three letters of the serial number. With that, I can run down the approximate date of manufacture; could be that S&W is making these now sans lock. They are offering new-production 642s sans lock, so apparently they heard the screams of discontent regarding that stupid lock.

Of course, dealing with the lock is no big deal; my 360PD has The Plug, but you can disable the lock without worry of any other problems in about ten minutes if you are competent at detail-stripping a J frame. Just be sure to put that "flag" back in there, lest the remaining mechanism get loose, fall against the hammer, and lock things up as tight as the lock itself would. Don't ask me how I know that.

Anyway... sorry for the rambling. Enjoy your Beast; they are the ultimate pocket carry piece. As you noted, not fun to shoot, but if you can find some genuine target wadcutters, those make practice much more tolerable.

The nylon brushes that comes with all Glocks make a good chamber brush for .38/.357s when one doesn't want to use a bore brush or something in bronze or whatever.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-20-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I'm interested in the fact that you have a 340PD without the lock. It was my understanding that none existed, since S&W supposedly didn't start producing the "magnum" AirLites until after full integration of the new frame with lock.
    This was my understanding too.

I have two 340PDs, one with the ramped front sight, the other with fiber-optic front sight, but both with the danged lock, and I'd love to have a no-lock example if I could find one.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the info LSP and Chuck. I did err on the side of nylon brushes last night when I cleaned it -- seemed like the smart choice.

I'll look at the ammo I shoot carefully -- I didn't anticipate shooting any plain lead bullets through it, but I'll look for some true fmjs...
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    This was my understanding too.

I have two 340PDs, one with the ramped front sight, the other with fiber-optic front sight, but both with the danged lock, and I'd love to have a no-lock example if I could find one.
    Well, looks like we were mis-informed. The OP provided the first three letters of his s/n, and they are one letter (the third letter; the first two are the same) away from my 360PD, which I acquired in 2002.

Most interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The nylon brushes that comes with all Glocks make a good chamber bruch for .38/.357s when one doesn't want to use a bore brush or something in bronze or whatever.
    Indeed they would.

Ya know, I must have a half-dozen of those things lying around; never thought to use them for anything but a field-expedient tooth brush...

The S&W website lists a no-lock 340. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

If anyone finds one, and wants to let go of their 340PD with a lock for a REALLY good price, I'd be happy to take it off your hands
    Last edited by theJanitor; 05-15-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    The S&W website lists a no-lock 340. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    Well... curiouser and curiouser... but no titanium cylinder on that one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, looks like we were mis-informed. The OP provided the first three letters of his s/n, and they are one letter (the third letter; the first two are the same) away from my 360PD, which I acquired in 2002.

Most interesting...

Good information, thanks. I think the 340 M&P's are currently available, with the steel cylinder, in optional no-lock configuration. I wonder what the current serial numbers on those look like. I assume the frame is the same on those.

User Tag List