Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thoughts on the Hill People Gear Kit Bags?

Quote Originally Posted by krax View Post
    You're not wrong, but I wouldn't wear mine in an urban environment. In the outdoors, and especially when worn with a pack, they blend into the environment more.
    The times I've seen them have been hiking and I doubt people that aren't into guns know what they are or what they're actually used for but was pretty obvious to me

FYI an interesting solution is using a pack and carrying with the waist belt pockets... Can fit a doublestack subcompact on one side and a couple mags in the other... Much more discreet.

Quote Originally Posted by krax View Post
    You're not wrong, but I wouldn't wear mine in an urban environment. In the outdoors, and especially when worn with a pack, they blend into the environment more.
    I use mine some for a quick fishing trip. Stuff in a couple of fly boxes, tippet, fly floatant, etc, and there's still room for a compact semi. With waders and fly rod, I pretty much look like any other fly fisherman, "Standing in a River Waving a Stick", as one of John Gierach's book is titled.

But it'd look out of place for a walk in the neighborhood. A few folks wear fanny packs, but I've never seen a chest pack. And, except for school kids, even the occasional walker with a day pack usually draws second, and third, glances. And I can't explain them.

Gray is good!

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I use mine some for a quick fishing trip. Stuff in a couple of fly boxes, tippet, fly floatant, etc, and there's still room for a compact semi. With waders and fly rod, I pretty much look like any other fly fisherman, "Standing in a River Waving a Stick", as one of John Gierach's book is titled.

But it'd look out of place for a walk in the neighborhood. A few folks wear fanny packs, but I've never seen a chest pack. And, except for school kids, even the occasional walker with a day pack usually draws second, and third, glances. And I can't explain them.

Gray is good!
    For fly fishing, it helps that there are drab-colored, fly fishing-specific chest packs on the market. Which reminds me that I need to order another HPG kit bag to have dedicated to fly fishing.

I wear mine (runners kit bag) in runs around town and I’ve never gotten a second look. I need to get one of the bigger ones though either the heavy recon or the original as the runner gets maxed out quickly.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

I have the original v2 that I added the recon harness to so I could carry a water bladder. I have had several people ask about my hydration rig and not one has caught on to it hiding a gun until I point it out(I haven't shown everyone that has asked). Because I go alone, I keep all(in addition to what's in the main pack) of my "survival" gear in it. Fire, folding twig stove, first aid, some second aid, protein bar or 2, compass, Mora knife lashed to the PALS on the bottom, i'm sure I missed some stuff and I would have to dump it for full inventory.. If I ever have to ditch the main pack it has all of the essentials to survive a night or so. I removed the shock cord from the Recon harness and it rides very flat under my pack. I also carried it last year elk hunting and my GP100 .44 with a 5 inch barrel just barely fits.

Just got a v2 original and found out 2 7 round shotgun cards fit perfectly in the 2nd pocket with the Velcro panel Name:  F32E0A4D-24B6-4E12-AB88-AFFE60F7F7EE.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  52.0 KB
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Name:  E8ED8EEF-A80B-4AEA-B3D4-745C7B2BC914.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  58.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List