Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading from the rearmost mag pouch: good idea, or training scar?

Question Reloading from the rearmost mag pouch: good idea, or training scar?

You've all seen shooters who are "going hot" (on the range) selecting a magazine from their rearmost pouch, rather than the front pouch. In Rich Grassi's article Editor's Notebook: "Tactical" Reload in the May 13th‏ The Tactical Wire, he says: "...Per my training, I always used the least accessible magazine for the tac load, saving the nearest magazine for those inconvenient emergencies..." Later, in the same article, he says: "...I stowed the depleted magazine in the least accessible pouch - but still in the pouch, not a pocket. As there were only three magazines, I'd rather reach for the pouch (if needed) than to engage in the "ballistic Macarena" (coined by Mas Ayoob) - patting myself down for that last partly-loaded magazine..."

I used to draw from my rearmost pouch myself, as a matter of routine. Now, I think that it's a training scar, and that it's probably a better general practice to:
    a.) draw from the most-accessible pouch;
    b.) use magazine pouches to hold only loaded magazines, and;
    c.) stow partially loaded magazines somewhere else, to avoid any confusion.

What do you tell your students?

There is an argument that the most accessible pouch should be used for a more critical reload - like an emergency reload. The idea is that "tactical" reload is done from a more rearward pouch to leave the critical magazine in a more easily accessible location.

It probably has some merit but we're starting to debate the fairly esoteric....

Except gaming, how many folks carry more than one extra magazine in a Glock 17 or equivalent world?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I think you could definitely make the argument that it makes the most sense to go for your first mag, full speed, then refill the pouch.

You get an extra rep, after all.

Beyond that...I have never been in the habit of putting partials in a pouch. I'm not arguing it one way or the other, but my context has never been combat, just competition. If I have a mag in a pouch and it's half full, sooner or later it's making it to the next stage that way.

But I get where Ayoob is coming from. Still, seems like you could avoid this by habitually putting partials in the same pocket. If your other other strong powerstroke hand is working fine, I'd just be going to the other other strong powerstroke side back pocket. Then I'm not publicly groping myself mid-gunfight (always a concern in Canada, because it means we're armed and impolite at the same time...totally not okay, eh?) while hunting for a mag, but also not tying up pouches (which somehow I have during a non-competitive-shooting-scenario) with half-full mags.

Honestly I'm wondering if this even applies to anyone who isn't training and competing with their duty gear. Who's got a belt full of concealed mags to confuse with each other?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post

Honestly I'm wondering if this even applies to anyone who isn't training and competing with their duty gear. Who's got a belt full of concealed mags to confuse with each other?
    Even in the 10+1 world that is California, the only time (other than training) that I really like to carry more than one spare mag is when I'm on a long backcountry hike and the nearest spare ammunition is many miles and hours away.

When I would tactical reload in country it went from the farthest pouch from my reaction hand on my chest rig. I would then put the partially spent mag in the dump pouch, when ever I had a significant amount of time I would move it in to the empty pouch. Honestly I didn't get into many situations where I had to do a true speed reload so take that for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I think you could definitely make the argument that it makes the most sense to go for your first mag, full speed, then refill the pouch.
    This makes a lot of sense to me.

I teach emergency/empty-gun/slide lock reloads from the primary, most accessible pouch. Admin and retention reloads done at will are from the least accessible pouch progressing to the most. Partials go back in that far pouch or in the pocket/dumper (depending on host). The justification is that it keeps the most accessible mags fully loaded and unmolested until urgently needed, without need for further handling or potential fumbling.

Your average CCWer or street cop isn't carrying more than two spares for handgun or rifle, so it is kind of esoteric.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Administrative loading procedure:

Draw pistol and take sight picture - dry fire (not possible with a hammer down/striker forward position)
    Collapse in to reload position - assess
    Draw emergency reload from most accessible pouch
    Push/pull, manipulate slide overhand
    Press check - touch the round in the chamber
    Release slide and strike rear of slide to ensure battery condition
    Assess
    Backfill mag pouches - most full = most accessible
    Assess
    Pistol goes in the holster, engage retention

If carrying a carbine or other primary weapon, administratively load that system after completing the loading procedure for your pistol.

For ALL administrative loading, you should load from your most accessible pouch and then backfill as necessary. I have tried to put a multitool into an M&P (had it in my normal pistol speed reload pouch after fixing something and before I started to perform this procedure regularly), and an M&P mag into my carbine (My AR mag goes in front of my pistol mags, but I forgot to backfill my AR speed reload pouch and grabbed the first thing my hand touched during reload, which was the pistol mag in the next pouch back on the belt) because I instinctively reached for that ONE spot whence all reloads come for a specific weapon platform.

Bottom line, you need to train yourself to ALWAYS reach for that reload in the same place. You should also practice retrieving magainzes from your gear in order of ease of access (shoot 2-5 rounds, gun goes dry, reload, rinse, repeat until your belt/chest rig is empty). I have my training/competition belt set up so my pistol reload is in the same place as my EDC reload. For EDC administrative loading (or when starting a practice session with my EDC), I always check for an empty gun before performing this procedure, but I still funnel all my magazines through my speed reload pouch if they are going into the gun (also, the "missing" round gets topped off for EDC).
    Outrunning my headlights since '81.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Except gaming, how many folks carry more than one extra magazine in a Glock 17 or equivalent world?
    Yup. That being said, when I do carry more than one mag carrier, I don't notice the difference in an inch or three of placement. I suppose one could worry about tenths of a second......
    #RESIST

User Tag List