Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P Chop?

I didn't realize it had such a great impact on he backstrap. The few galleries I had skimmed gave the appearance of simply replacing them with the compact equivalent. Thanks for the heads up.

Is it a recoil issue Doc ? Accuracy? Grip circumference ?
    Last edited by Squall; 05-13-2014 at 03:15 PM.

All that is the same.

I'd simply rather have a 10 rd mag than an 8 rd one if I am going to carry what is essentially a full size service pistol anyway (ie. the M&P45c is bigger than a G19).
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
    As some of you may be aware, a bill to limit mag capacity to 10 rounds just cleared the state Senate in NJ. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly confident that my dear governor will veto this kittening piece of kitten. That being said, I'm kicking around the idea of having my M&P40 (which I bought partially because the factory mags were compliant with the existing 15 round limit) chopped to the compact length, since those sized factory mags are 10 rounders. I've heard anecdotal reports of reliability issues in the 10 round full size mags that were made for the ban states, so simply buying those isn't my first choice. With that in mind, can anyone recommend a smith or shop for the M&P ? I've found a few online, but I've never had any custom work done before, so I don't really know who the good smiths are. Appreciate any input.
    Shoot a compact 40 before you cut a full-sized one. You may find that it's quite the unexpected handful.

Okie John

Yup...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Unless you're in the worst cities like JC it's still going to be less hassle to get a new P2P than paying for round trip shipping, paying for the chop and waiting for the work to be done. If you like the M&P platform I'd get an M&P 45 full or mid size which has 10 rounds stock, and maybe keep the 9 with neutered magazines for training.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Unless you're in the worst cities like JC it's still going to be less hassle to get a new P2P than paying for round trip shipping, paying for the chop and waiting for the work to be done. If you like the M&P platform I'd get an M&P 45 full or mid size which has 10 rounds stock, and maybe keep the 9 with neutered magazines for training.
    That was my conclusion in CT.

Thanks everyone for the input. Overwhelming advice seems to be a nay on the chop, so I suppose I'll avoid it for the time being. Maybe a few years down the road I'll do it for the novelty. Thanks everyone for the advice. I suppose I'll have t consider whether to trade or buy next, and what to get.

Can't you just modify your mags to hold only 10 rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
    Can't you just modify your mags to hold only 10 rounds?
    This is what I use:

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magent...th-wesson.html
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Unfortunately this probably does not meet NJ's requirement that the modification be permanent. The state does not define "permanent" but a pretty good case could be made that this block can be easily replaced by a new follower to restore it to full capacity. Most folks here epoxy a plastic dowel to the bottom of the magazine tube and epoxy the base plate to the body. Since this means it can never be disassembled for cleaning it would be unacceptable to me for any firearm I rely on.

User Tag List