Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P Chop?

M&P Chop?

As some of you may be aware, a bill to limit mag capacity to 10 rounds just cleared the state Senate in NJ. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly confident that my dear governor will veto this kittening piece of kitten. That being said, I'm kicking around the idea of having my M&P40 (which I bought partially because the factory mags were compliant with the existing 15 round limit) chopped to the compact length, since those sized factory mags are 10 rounders. I've heard anecdotal reports of reliability issues in the 10 round full size mags that were made for the ban states, so simply buying those isn't my first choice. With that in mind, can anyone recommend a smith or shop for the M&P ? I've found a few online, but I've never had any custom work done before, so I don't really know who the good smiths are. Appreciate any input.

Site Supporter
    ColdBore Customs, David Bowie, Burwell, BoreSite Solutions and SMB should all be able to due it no problem. Some of those shops have a long wait though.

Lou @ Business End Customs. He is probably only running 3-4 weeks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were faced with mag capacity limits I'd strongly consider switching to a M&P compact 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    If I were faced with mag capacity limits I'd strongly consider switching to a M&P compact 45.
    This.

Not that it can't be done, but a grip chop on an M&P is a little more complicated than on a Glock.

As noted above, chopping an M&P grip is a bit tougher and you often loose the ability to change the backstraps.

Consider using an M&P45, M&P9c w/10 rd mags (these seem to work OK), G19 cut to take G26 mags, G26, or a good 1911.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Thanks for the reccommendations guys.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    The possibility is kicking around in the back of my head, but I'd like to try and work with what I have first. Unfortunately, trading or buying a handgun in NJ is no small process. I have a 9mm Beretta that may become trade fodder, haven't made up my mind yet. I also don't really relish the prospect of paying for .45. I only went with the .40 over the 9mm in the first place to avoid the very problem I'm facing now. But yeah, the 45c was actually my first thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    This.

Not that it can't be done, but a grip chop on an M&P is a little more complicated than on a Glock.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As noted above, chopping an M&P grip is a bit tougher and you often loose the ability to change the backstraps.

Consider using an M&P45, M&P9c w/10 rd mags (these seem to work OK), G19 cut to take G26 mags, G26, or a good 1911.

Well I suppose I should give the 45c a pretty hard look than. That's three pretty reputable recommendations...

Out of curiosity, what about the M&P makes it so much more involved to chop ?

When you chop the butt, you loose area where the replaceable grip insert attaches to the frame.

I prefer the M&P mid-size to the M&P45c...

User Tag List