• xds

13 10.40%
  • other

8 6.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: which thin 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I personally know more people who have bad Nano's than good ones, including myself.
    Enough Nano's have FTE issues in my CCW classes (where <100 rounds are fired) that there is no way I'd recommend one.
    They're very popular around here (I routinely have 3 or 4 in a class) and I'm comfortable putting the failure rate at 50%.

Beretta should sell all the Nano tooling to Taurus, it'd fit right in with their lineup.
    Thanks for sharing that experience JodyH. Makes me wonder now.
    If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis D. Brandeis

My wife's Shield was a dog, and since this was my third S&W auto in five years that had issues I will personally steer clear. My XDS is in .45acp but it has been excellent. Extremely accurate and no malfunctions, but the recoil is not for the faint of heart. My wife has a Ruger LC9 that has really impressed me. It has a good trigger and has not malfunctioned in several hundred rounds. My G26 has been great, but it is a fat gun for how short it is. For deep concealment or for those times when I'm just lounging around the house, I prefer a S&W 442, where my wife carries a Ruger LCP.

The shield is one of the only little guns that I can shoot like a full size. It's an awesome little pistol

I voted PPS.

I owned one and loved it. I've never shot a Shield, but from what I understand the Shield shares many of the positive traits that the PPS brought to the market: soft shooting, easy to shoot well, decent sights.....basically a sub-compact that shoots like a full size pistol.

I'd prefer the PPS because I'm not a fan of button mag releases on small pistols. I prefer the lever releases on any pistol, actually, as I place a higher priority on magazine security in the gun than lightening quick reloads.....not to mention if I was carrying the PPS, I wasn't planning on carrying a reload anyway.

If you're planning on carrying a reload, the Shield may win out simply because of the funky baseplate on the PPS that sticks out like a broken twig.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong between the PPS or Shield. Go fiddle with both, pick which one tickles your fancy, and be happy. They're both 10 times better than the rest of the junk on that list.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by campbed View Post
    Thanks for sharing that experience JodyH. Makes me wonder now.
    If yours works, then don't lose any sleep over it. I have a reliable Kahr PM9 that I carry and those seem to be anomalies as well.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Get a Shield and ignore the thumb safety.
    What he said

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong between the PPS or Shield. Go fiddle with both, pick which one tickles your fancy, and be happy. They're both 10 times better than the rest of the junk on that list.
    Agreed.
    #RESIST

I personally know more people who have bad Nano's than good ones, including myself.
    Enough Nano's have FTE issues in my CCW classes (where <100 rounds are fired) that there is no way I'd recommend one.
    They're very popular around here (I routinely have 3 or 4 in a class) and I'm comfortable putting the failure rate at 50%.

Beretta should sell all the Nano tooling to Taurus, it'd fit right in with their lineup.
    Can you comment on any correlation between the ammo these people are choosing to shoot? I was under the impression that the gun wasn't too crazy about 115grn, but did fine with heavier bullets. My own personal experience with a Nano has reflected that.

I know bullet weight did not matter on the one I had. It was an equal opportunity malfunctioner. In class I have too many other things to keep track of, all I know is it's factory ammo because that's one of my class requirements.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Purely subjective on my part, but I like the XDs first and the Kahr second. My XDs is in .45acp. I know it is popular not to like the gun and malign it as much as possible, but for me, it works. I have shot the others and truthfully, they just are not all that comfortable, again, purely subjective. Try to sample what you can via friends and the range and choose what works best for you. I have never seen a handgun yet that someone can not complain about. They all have something that just isn't right(for someone) and they all have lemons. Some more than others YMMV
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

User Tag List