• xds

13 10.40%
  • other

8 6.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which thin 9mm

Question which thin 9mm

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a smaller carry pistol for times when I'm just going to the in laws house or similar(were VERY rural and have a rifle in the truck anyways), because my only other pistol, a Glock 17 with tlr1 carried in a armordillo concealment xfer iwb is just too dang big sometimes. Now, those times are few and far between as I actually carry it every day, hot or cold weather, but I see times where a smaller one would come in handy. Like watching tv in the evening with my wife. Anyways here's what I want.
    9mm only
    Ok sights
    No thumb safety
    Thin, g26 obvious choice but want a thin SS first, g26 down the road
    Obviously reliable
    Can get a part if it breaks
    Can shoot my lead reloads I load for my g17 if I clean it after range sessions
    Weight doesnt matter so all steel fine
    Will not be pocket carried

The only small one ive shot is a nano, and I loved it. But I hear those have reliability issues unfortunately because I shot jt well. I handled a pps and loved it, but question if I could reload it well......if I could, would probably be my top choice. Never handled xds, shield, kahrs. The kahr k9 looks like a good one. Thanks for your help,

Ian
    Last edited by Westtexasrancher; 05-13-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Shield meets all of those requirements with the exception of the thumb safety. I have a Shield and keep the safety off all the time. Its never engaged. When/if S&W produces one without a thumb safety I will buy it with no worries.

The Shield will have the closest trigger to your "primary" pistol - but you'll have to deal with the TS. I have a PM9 that I use to back up my G19, and I find the trigger completely workable, and not a "distractor" when I switch back and forth. You say weight isn't a factor, but I'll tell you, the heavier the pistol, the less likely you're going to actually CARRY IT with you when you're lounging in "casual" clothes around the house - that's where my PM9 really makes its money. In an IWB, it's completely not there when I'm in PJs - or it rides very easily in the front pocket of cargo shorts without having to wear a belt to hold them up due to the extra weight.

Thanks guys. I should add that me "lounging around" still means I'm wearing jeans with my wilderness belt. Maybe once a month, shorts and a wilderness belt. Literally if I'm not in the bedroom, I have actual pants on and a wilderness belt. No ball shorts/workout pants/ etc, as I run on our ranch with the Glock in a fanny pack, so a smaller one in a fanny pack for running will be fine too, and since there's no gym for 150 miles, my gym is in the house.

Is the m&p without a safety on as safe as a normal striker fired with no safety? How positive does it snap on and off? Would it get bumped off easily?

I even wear a wilderness belt to the airport, as I chunked all my other belts, and won't wear anything that won't fit the belt, so no major worries on weight. Tho lighter is generally better of course. But jm not shying away from the steel frame kahrs. Almost added j frame to the list, but the small 9s are so much easier to shoot and reload.

Get a Shield and ignore the thumb safety.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Westtexasrancher View Post

Is the m&p without a safety on as safe as a normal striker fired with no safety? How positive does it snap on and off? Would it get bumped off easily?
    Yes, just as safe. Its positive enough but folks tend to worry about accidental activation. I havent had it happen yet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Get a Shield and ignore the thumb safety.
    This, my Shield's TS has never engaged itself.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Shield meets all of those requirements with the exception of the thumb safety. I have a Shield and keep the safety off all the time. Its never engaged. When/if S&W produces one without a thumb safety I will buy it with no worries.
    The thumb safety is pretty easy to remove on the Shield as well.

Nano reliability problems? Not mine; over 1300 rounds so far of dependability without hiccup using a variety of ammunition. I have both the Nano and Shield and prefer the Nano.

User Tag List