Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duty Gun Breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Y'all must be living in fantasy land being able to do whatever you want to your on duty guns. The only modification my dept allows is adding intertube for grip or grip tape, thats it.

I've never heard of having fiber optic sights on a duty gun. What do you do in low light or in conditions like shooting from a dark area (therefore fiber optic not helping) into a light area?
    I found that because I carry a Surefire 300U that whenver I was in dark and would activate my light I would black the tritium out of my night sights so I would simply be seeing a black on black sight picture even with night sights. I realize though that if you are shooting into a lighted area, you will not be using your white light.

I started using this FO front sight (stock setup that came with the gun) and was going to switch it out quickly for a night sight front and black rear (as I have on all my other guns) but found that I was not running into the problem of shooting from a dark area into a lighted area where I was not able to move into the lighted area or I did find that when I would acquire my sight picture and the FO was not shinning, I would be able to use a black on black sight picture of the black rear sight and the metal outline/ FO holder of the front sight to get a good sight picture.

Its not perfect, but I dont think any one sight system is perfect.

It has worked well for me and I will continue to test it and see how it works, if I run into alot of problems with it I will switch it to my usual setup of black rear and night sight front...

.... it is also nice that we have a VERY LIBERAL duty gun policy

Our agency issues DA/SA Sigs in 9mm. The only changes I've made are sights (I carry a Heinie/Dawson night sight combo currently), SRT sear/SSL (my particular pistol didn't come with them) and grip stippling. I'd love to have a fiber optic setup on my duty gun, but I'm not willing to give up tritium on a work/carry gun, so until they figure out a fiber/tritium combo that doesn't suck, I'll continue to compromise in that regard.

My play/game/training guns are all virtually identical (226s) but with Dawson fibers.

t

I think modifications to on duty firearms is fine most of the time, and can allow the officer to shape and mold the handgun to each individual officer.

I can understand if you have trigger work done and then you AD/ND when you didnt mean to pull the trigger that would be a problem, but if you have grip stippling or a magwell or aftermarket sights, that doesnt mean that your use of force would have been any difference in a deadly force situation than if you had not had these items on your duty pistol IMHO.

Issued guns are 9mm DAK P226R's. Rubber Hogue grips and Streamlight or Surefire weapon mounted lights are the approved mods for department weapons, officers can add Trijicon or factory night sights to their personally guns. There used to be a much more liberal policy on modifying department and personally owned weapons, but too many knuckle heads screwed it up.

I carry my own gen 3 G17 with orange Trijicon HD's and a G26 as a bug/off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    That may change soon since the US DOJ has cracked down on neighboring Albuquerque PD, Bernalillo Co Sheriff, and the State Police for allowing "non-standard and personally owned high-power weapons" to be carried on duty.
    Wait... what??? You're saying that the federal government is telling those mentioned agencies what they can and cannot use in the course of their state-mandated duties?

There has got to be more to this story.

I will answer from a different perspective in that for my agency I am the one that handles approvals for firearms.

From my experience, the personnel that want to personalize their guns are typically purchasing their own firearms. The one exception to that would be those that carry issued 1911s, and they will usually get whatever grip panels they want.

I've never had anyone ask to swap the sights on their agency pistol. I suppose I would let them if they asked under the provision that they returned the pistol with the original sights if they leave the agency.

Decal grips and the like are fun, but I reserve the right to make fun of those that put those awful slip on rubber pieces...

Anything mechanical must be pre-approved. I don't approve "crutches". In other words, if you are an 82 shooter, don't come ask to swap to a minus connector in your Glock. The standard connector isn't the reason for scoring 82s.

By all that is holy, if you touch a soldering iron to the frame of an issued pistol, not only will I fire you, I will prosecute you for it as well. That isn't your gun; it belongs to the tax payer, and it is proof that you are too stupid to work here.

Likewise, don't bring a personally owned pistol to me for a approval with a mutilated frame. This is one of the very rare instances where I trot out "Because I am the Chief, and I say so."

If you want to purchase a WML, I'm all for that and will go to the equipment room and get a holster for you that will accommodate your WML; however, if you fail to discuss this with anyone, and you go buy some odd WML for which we don't already have a holster, it isn't my problem to go on a scavenger hunt for you. You should have asked first. I certainly won't feel the need to be helpful when you do things like shoot snakes on the courthouse square.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

My Chief runs a MRDS on his G22, so my DeltaPoint on my M&P CORE is cool...

Policy is any requested mod's get approved by the armorers -- aftermarket trigger parts etc not authorized.
    Liberal personal handgun policy in 9, 40 and .45 but M&P 9FS is standard.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

At my old place, the Glock 22 and 17 are currently issued. Modifications to issued weapons have always been prohibited. The only real exceptions have been the addition of extended slide stops. LSP still maintains a very liberal personally owned duty weapon list.

For me, my carry Glocks (34/17/19) are all set up the same. They have the factory "-" connector, standard trigger spring, Vickers mag catch, plug, factory extended slide stop lever and Ameriglo Operator (green/yellow) night sights.

I like my SIGs with the SRT, normal length trigger, E2 grips and factory night sights.

Ken

My agency issues the 229r DAK in 9mm. No modifications allowed. Off duty the issue weapons are left at work and anything goes for for personal defense. I try to carry a personal duplicate of my duty DAK for training familiarity and liability. I keep it stock as well. When I retire soon I will be going back to my favorite Glocks. Many of my fellow officers carry a motley assortment of hardware based on previous employment or simple ignorance. One fellow trades a SIG pro in .40 at a loss for a Bersa in .45. He wanted a "good" gun.

My department issues the Gen 4 Glock 17 & Glock 26. We have a policy that states all firearms carried by the officer (on his person or in his car) must be approved by the firearms instructor and the Chief of Police. So far I am the only one that has modified a department gun. I took off the factory Glock night sights (with the Glock rear sight tool) and put them on my G26 as it comes with the standard sights. I then put Heinie "ledge" night sights on as well as a grip plug, Vickers magazine release, and Vickers slide stop. I have played around with various magazine exgtensions on the range but have yet to find one I am comfortable with on duty yet. Everyone else is comfortable with what we issue. One officer has gotten approval to carry his old issued Glock 21 but he has yet to do so.

For what its worth our department is only 20 full time officers so it is fairly easy to keep track of what's being done to duty weapons.

User Tag List