Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Duty Gun Breakdown

I've never really seen much need or reason to modify a duty gun. I can see putting night sights on if it doesn't already have them but after that it seems sort of questionable to me. If one can't shoot the standard sidearm at a reasonable level the problem is rarely the sidearm, barring some physical issues.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    With guys scattered all over the state, that was a bit problematic. We did see everybody twice a year, but there wasn't time (nor did we have the staff) to conduct training/quals AND do a complete eval on each trooper's weapons.

We had to fight hard for it, and it was one of the things that went by the wayside when they started cutting the range time and quals, but I do attribute it to why we had very good luck with the SIG P-220's over the long haul. We couldn't fix SIG sending crap guns right from the factory which is why we went to HK and Glock, but from the 80's through the late 90's we got very good service from properly maintained pistols.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I've never really seen much need or reason to modify a duty gun. I can see putting night sights on if it doesn't already have them but after that it seems sort of questionable to me. If one can't shoot the standard sidearm at a reasonable level the problem is rarely the sidearm, barring some physical issues.
    I agree. That was the line of thinking behind my "I don't approve crutches" in a previous post.

I should have also included that when it comes to approvals, I don't let personnel "chase guns" hoping for miracles.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is the Sig screw issue primarily a 229 issue (seems like the 229 screws are itty bitty compared to 226/228 screws? What is best practice for tightening the 229 screws?
    It's most prevalent with the P229s (though our old P228s had the same issue). The P239s seem to do much better... All the grip screws on my pistol are blue loctited on, though the clear nail polish trick would be just as good, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    E2 grips solve the grip screw problem, but don't leave much in the way of options if you don't like the feel. Personally, I love the E2s on my my 226 and 228.

Ken
    If for some strange reason my agency reverted to its bad-old days of only authorizing issued weapons on duty, I'd swap my P229's grips for E2 grips in a heartbeat; mostly because I prefer the way they "fit" my hand, but also because the grip screw issue is just a royal pain in the kitten.

1911 folks sometimes put o-rings under the grip screws to keep them from walking. Does that work with SIGs?

We are issued Glock 22's but can carry any Glock 9mm or 40 cal. So I carry a G34... All of my duty/ carry/ competition guns wear Ameriglo Pro I-Dot sights (as bright as FO's in daylight, good tritium for night), extended controls, and a ".25 trigger job". I also tent to grind the finger grooves off of my Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    1911 folks sometimes put o-rings under the grip screws to keep them from walking. Does that work with SIGs?
    No, the screw isn't long enough.

The best solution (from tinkering with Sigs at an armorer level for over ten years) is to use clear nail polish and don't over-torque the screws. I also keep a bunch of extra screws handy for when someone invariably loses one.

I think Loctite (even blue Loctite) is too strong and too thick. The nail polish is just easier to work with and does the job without leaving residue.

My agency does not allow personal weapons for on duty use, except in the BUG role. Issued weapons will NOT be modified in any way. When we carried the S&W 686 rubber grips were an authorized replacement for the target grips that never seemed to fit anyone, but turning that one screw neccesary for replacement had to be done by an armorer. Several years ago when we got rid of the Mini-14's and went to the Colt LE6920, a few of our guys installed aftermarket charging handles, etc. You would have thought the sky was falling. I wondered how those morons had forgotten who they worked for. Fortunately the issue weapons are good to go for the most part, so mods really aren't neccesary. On the flip side of that coin, our off duty policy is wide open. Anything can be carried and no qualification is required. However, I've always qualified with my off duty piece as I think it's wise to have at least one piece of paper from the agency acknowledging its presence.

All things considered, my agency's policies are pretty decent...

We issue the G19 to uniformed personnel. Detectives may carry a personally owned G26 if they wish. Authorized modifications to the issued handgun are sights and non-permanent grip enhancements (tape, slip-on, etc.). They also issue a WML and appropriate holster to all uniformed personnel.
    Rifles are AR-15's of various makes (Rock River, SIG, etc.), they are issued with iron-sights and a sling. Authorized upgrades include lights, optics, rails, handgrips, stocks, etc...pretty much wide open as long as you don't mess with the internals and can return it in stock configuration. We are in the process of getting all patrol deputies issued a rifle.
    Shotguns are 870's with side-saddles, slings, "big-dome" safeties, and Surefire forends.

We do authorize personal weapons...
    Handguns are any full or mid-size Glock in 9, .40, or .45. If you carry anything other than a 9mm though, you have to provide your own ammo for training and quals. 1911's off an approved manufacturer list are also authorized. I carry my personal G19 since I like stippled grips. I also have Warrens and a GFA installed. I wish they'd expand the authorized handgun list to include M&P's, SIGS, H&K's, etc.

Rifles are any "high quality" AR-pattern gun in 5.56/.223. The only real restriction on those is they say "no kit guns" (yes, that's the language in the policy)..."kit gun" is defined as one built from parts from different manufacturers. (pet peeve...they don't want frankenguns, only "high quality," but they issue Rock River and say "not only no, but HELL NO!" to the guy who wants to carry a rifle comprised of a Colt lower and a Noveske Upper... ). The other weird part is that they authorize personally owned NFA shotguns, but not NFA rifles.

Backup and Off duty guns must be personally owned. The sky is pretty much the limit on those as long as they're at least .32 caliber and hold five rounds or more. Ammo for training and quals with the BUG/off-duty must be provided by the deputy. The only annoying part about BUG/Off-duty is that you have to qualify with any gun you wish to carry off duty. I usually have to go to 2 qual sessions to get through mine (extra Glock, J-frame, Shield, full size M&P...)
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

User Tag List