Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you cross-train with different weapon systems?

Do you cross-train with different weapon systems?

Some questions for you PF members...Do you find value in cross-training with different weapons systems, or do you dedicate the vast majority of your training/effort to the mastery of one specific weapons system? If you do cross-train, how often do you include other weapons/different weapons systems into your training? I've been training with Glocks exclusively for roughly 3 years now, and in the past year I've made a few firearms purchases beyond the realm of my striker-fired pistol world. Training/shooting exclusively with Glocks became somewhat boring to me, so this past year I picked up a 1911, a S&W 686, and I just purchased a Sig P226. I plan on regularly including the 1911, 686 and P226 in my training/competition regimen in the hopes that whatever marksmanship/gun handling improvements I gain from running these weapons systems will translate to my abilities with my Glocks. Just wondering if others on here do the same.

Yes, I do, but it for me it is a zero sum game. Time I spend on shooting Sig I dont spend on shooting HK. My current carry gun is Sig, my game gun is Beretta, and the price I am paying is double time on dry fire. If I have time. I am just an average shooter, and I think that the path to good to great shooter includes a commitment to one gun for an extended time. Which is so freaking hard to do with all them cool guns around.

I try not to and find myself fighting the urge to buy other cool guns. For me its a Beretta 92 for on and off duty for at least the next 4 years. While that might sound pretty boring I find that the more proficient I become the more I find sticking to one gun the better route. I think it would be less boring to stick with a gun that allows for more customization like a glock/m&p. if you get bored you can stipple it, add new sights, add an RMR and so on. But for the Beretta is pretty much it, especially when matching it to a duty gun.

I'm trying to resist the urge for now, but that's a me thing. I haven't mastered the "weapon system" I carry every day to my satisfaction. When I reach a level of unconscious competence with that (not total mastery, which is probably an illusion) then branching out and conquering new areas may be both a bit of a reward and a smart idea to make more progress.

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

A friend of mine and I will do different "crazy drills" just for the giggles and familiarization.

Single loading a .357 revolver for multiple rounds as fast as you can (gotta remember which way it rotates). Snap shots and "double taps" with a TC Contender 10" in .30-30.

Running drills with a random gun like a 3rd Gen S&W 9mm or J-frame or Ruger P94 or just using each others guns (strong and weak handed).

It's not an all the time thing but helps to break up the monotony of training and keep us sharp with all kinds of mechanisms.

It's hard to avoid the "flavor of the week," especially with the influence of this forum, but I bought the 1911 because I want to compete in the single-stack division in local matches and I've always wanted/lusted over a 1911. It will be shot and carried frequently. I picked up the P226 because TDA pistols are appealing to me (mostly out of my own curiosity), and also because of the influence of this forum. Prior to reading on here, I was less than enamored with the thought behind TDA pistols. However, after taking some classes, spending a lot of time behind a Glock, shooting several TDA pistols, and doing research, I think I have enough experience now to fully appreciate what the TDA platform has to offer. I'll always be a Glock guy at heart, and my 19/34 will never get sold, but I won't limit myself to just the Glock platform now or in the future. And I still have the revolver because every red-blooded American should own at least one wheelgun (in addition to a 1911).

I do much better when I stick with practicing with my primary firearms: typically a BUG, service pistol, shotgun, carbine, and precision rifle. FWIW, most of my time gets spent on the service pistol, as that is what I would have with me the majority of time.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

What wholly inadequate training I do is almost entirely with the 1911s. I do shoot the BUGs a bit. I have probably put more rounds through HH6s guns than she has. (This annoys me more than her, alas...)
    Occasionally I will "rent" a gun from the range to see if I am missing anything. ("Rent" is in quotes because, as a range member, I get free, er, "loaners.")
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Like many here I have a safe full of guns, as firearms history and design has always fascinated me. They all get shot from time to time, but I wouldn't call that training. For actual training my roster is fairly small, consisting on duty and off duty sidearms, my BUG and patrol carbine and shotgun. For the last twenty years my duty sidearm has been either a SIG or a Glock and my off duty piece was a 1911. I'm currently shooting an FNS9 and a Beretta 92 to see which one will replace the 1911. As soon as that decision is made the list of regular shooters will shrink again.

I shoot subjectively "better" with certain guns than others. But when push comes to shove, on the clock, during unknown/unfamiliar courses of fire where target ID and discrimination factor in, I do not see a measurable difference between a variety of handguns.

User Tag List