Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retired California LEO's and "Assault Weapons" question?

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    This is why my retirement checks enhance the economy of Texas and I have totally divested of everything in California. I just want my retirement checks....
    Pardon the thread drift all, but, as the son of a retired Detroit PD Lieutenant, I sincerely wish you the best of luck on this count.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I think I may have found a solution, according to DOJ's website, if you remove the features that make the rifle an "assault weapon" you can contact DOJ and have it removed from registration. I figure when I retire, I'll just switch out the standard mag release for a bullet button configuration and I'll be in compliance.

Drank, sorry about what's happening to your Dad, it's wrong on every count. I don't think you can compare Detroit to California though. To do that you'd have to have say, the entire technology industry leave Silicon Valley and have San Francisco neighborhoods go completely abandoned and not be able to sell houses for $10. Check the prices for single family homes here in the SF area and you'll see that isn't a realistic concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think I may have found a solution, according to DOJ's website, if you remove the features that make the rifle an "assault weapon" you can contact DOJ and have it removed from registration. I figure when I retire, I'll just switch out the standard mag release for a bullet button configuration and I'll be in compliance.

Drank, sorry about what's happening to your Dad, it's wrong on every count. I don't think you can compare Detroit to California though. To do that you'd have to have say, the entire technology industry leave Silicon Valley and have San Francisco neighborhoods go completely abandoned and not be able to sell houses for $10. Check the prices for single family homes here in the SF area and you'll see that isn't a realistic concern.

When I asked DOJ about converting my registered "assault weapons" into a legal configuration I was told that once they were registered, they could not be "undone" and would always be an assault weapon. They only way to remove it from registration would be to turn it over to a L/E agency or remove it from California. The problem with Calif. DOJ is you can never get any level of consistent answer when you call them, and I have asked for numerous items discussed to be confirmed in a letter, which I have never ever received a single documentary correspondence. This including official requests from my duties at a police agency.

One of my great fears is that my retirement checks will not come. I look at the guys in Detroit and elsewhere as the epitome of not trusting promises that government agencies make about anything. I have a track set to be wholly without any debt at all in the next 8 years and to own everything debt free because of this fear.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have a track set to be wholly without any debt at all in the next 8 years and to own everything debt free because of this fear.
    I'm already there. It took some austerity the last few years on the job, but it was damn sure worth that.

Our state constitution says that not a dollar of state money can be spent on ANYTHING until state retirees have gotten theirs. One of those sacred cows was the State Group Benefits health insurance program. One of the few state programs that actually worked with some degree of efficiency, it was always a hands-off item to greedy pols looking for additional revenue; until last year. Our current weasel POS governor managed to privatize it (Blue Cross), and we're already seeing the detrimental effects of that move. Fortunately, that idiot is on his way out, and cannot do any more damage to the retirement system. Oh, he's tried… twice. But the legislature spanked him both times, so he had to settle for screwing up our health care benefits.

That's this round… Lord knows who/what we'll get for our next governor, and the only certain thing is that which we thought was graven in stone… isn't.

My wife is also a state employee, with a very healthy deferred comp balance. I told her that's for when the ice cream turns to kitten, so we'll be able to buy cat food to live on.

This is off DOJ's website:

"If the characteristics that make my firearm a category 3 assault weapon are removed, can I cancel the registration? Can I sell it as regular (non-assault weapon) firearm?

Yes. If the defining characteristics establishing a firearm as a category 3 assault weapon are removed, it is no longer an assault weapon and the registration may be canceled. However, once the registration is canceled, you can never replace the characteristic(s) that make it an assault weapon, or you will be in possession of an illegal weapon. To cancel an assault weapon registration, contact DOJ at (916) 227-2153. Once the registration has been canceled, the firearm can be sold or transferred like any other firearm (non-assault weapon)."

I think that should mean I'm good, it is frustrating that everything's so unclear about what's legal or not. No matter how stupid the law, I have no desire to be out of compliance.

Awesome the way the change their mind willy nilly. I would also check if that applies to LE exempt registered guns which O was told could not be undone.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List