Page 99 of 203 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not to thread drift too much but have you shot a G21 vs your 41 and if so how do the two compare ?
    I have. A guy at work (IT dude) bought a gen 3 G21 police trade in and asked me to look it over. I tore it down and cleaned it good and took it to the range. It had the OEM Glock night sights and if I remember correct, I printed a decent 25 yard group with it. I thought I posted that pic on here. I'll look and see if I did.

My G41 has Defoor sights on it and for my skills and eyes, I seem to print tighter groups with it. I would guess that if I had a G21 with Defoor sights, the groupings would be similar. My G41 is the only pistol I have ever shot a 100 with on a B8 target at 25 yards. I've come close with a couple of G17.4s. I've shot a pretty tight group with my G30s as well and I prefer the slimmer slides of the 41/30s.

On edit: Found it....post number 850 (page 85) of this thread. His trigger was just awful but I still managed a 94 with it. I only shot a few rounds through it so with a better trigger, Defoor sights, and S&B ammo I could probably turn in a high 90 with it.
    Last edited by lwt16; 12-19-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I have. A guy at work (IT dude) bought a gen 3 G21 police trade in and asked me to look it over. I tore it down and cleaned it good and took it to the range. It had the OEM Glock night sights and if I remember correct, I printed a decent 25 yard group with it. I thought I posted that pic on here. I'll look and see if I did.

My G41 has Defoor sights on it and for my skills and eyes, I seem to print tighter groups with it. I would guess that if I had a G21 with Defoor sights, the groupings would be similar. My G41 is the only pistol I have ever shot a 100 with on a B8 target at 25 yards. I've come close with a couple of G17.4s. I've shot a pretty tight group with my G30s as well and I prefer the slimmer slides of the 41/30s.

On edit: Found it....post number 850 (page 85) of this thread. His trigger was just awful but I still managed a 94 with it. I only shot a few rounds through it so with a better trigger, Defoor sights, and S&B ammo I could probably turn in a high 90 with it.

The G41 is the only Glock .45 ACP I find interesting (once owned pretty cool RTF2 G21). That'd be a deer hammer with the +P Critical Duty load.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The G41 is the only Glock .45 ACP I find interesting (once owned pretty cool RTF2 G21). That'd be a deer hammer with the +P Critical Duty load.
    I love mine. I'd like to get a RMR one day and if I do, it will probably be another G41 to mount it on. I'm trying to put off a dot as long as possible.

Years ago when I was young, I was walking to a deer stand during doe days and walked up on a nice doe that was no more than 20 yards from me, standing sideways, and I had not placed my magazine in my Remington 30-06 self loader. I did, however, have a Springfield Armory dual tone full sized 1911 loaded with the Speer 200 grain flying ashtrays, cocked and locked, in a belt holster. One shot later she was lying just a few feet from where she soaked up that .45 round.

My uncle was married (at the time) to a woman who's family owned a ton of deer hunting land in Barbour county and she grew up cooking venison for her brothers. That night, she made the best meal (wild game wise) I ever had with the back straps of that doe.

I love mine. I'd like to get a RMR one day and if I do, it will probably be another G41 to mount it on. I'm trying to put off a dot as long as possible.

Years ago when I was young, I was walking to a deer stand during doe days and walked up on a nice doe that was no more than 20 yards from me, standing sideways, and I had not placed my magazine in my Remington 30-06 self loader. I did, however, have a Springfield Armory dual tone full sized 1911 loaded with the Speer 200 grain flying ashtrays, cocked and locked, in a belt holster. One shot later she was lying just a few feet from where she soaked up that .45 round.

My uncle was married (at the time) to a woman who's family owned a ton of deer hunting land in Barbour county and she grew up cooking venison for her brothers. That night, she made the best meal (wild game wise) I ever had with the back straps of that doe.
    Reminds me of the time I had a similar encounter while deer hunting in some thick planted pines. However, rather than a deer, it was a gray squirrel. He was on the same row as me and as they say in Southpark "Coming right for me." When he reached 10yds and still was apparently not turning aside I determined he must be a rabid gray squirrel and I promptly put a 230gr GDHP right between his eyes from my Para GI Expert . Saved my life.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

These were all shot at 23 yards because that's where I could keep my sights in the shade. So subtract 8% of the awesomeness. LOL

These are all old Glock 17's. After I got the lens implant in my right eye, several of my pistols were showing a left bias to the hits. (even the non Glocks.) LOL I think my vision changed a little. For the last 2 days I have been tweaking sights and shooting groups. Here's the results. These are all high round count guns. At one time HU5xx was the only Glock I had and it was my main match and practice gun for several years. I believe it has close to 100,000 rounds through it.

Name:  IMG_2497.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  25.0 KBName:  IMG_2498.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  55.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_2499.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  54.6 KBName:  IMG_2500.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  63.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2502.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  55.5 KB

Finally getting off my ass and participating in this thread after reading and reading for some time. i ordered some B8 targets on Amazon, went out to the range i just joined out here and shot both the M&P22 to get it properly sighted in and the VP9 I carry.

First off, the .22. Shooting 40 gr Aguila I shot at this probably 11-12 rounds per mag, so the scores are going to be artificially high vs 10 shot groups:

Name:  IMG_3303.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  41.1 KB

I couldn't get the adjustable rear sight low enough for even a six o'clock hold, with the top of the front sight on the bottom of the 9 ring at 25 yards. Well, at least .22LR is cheap and I learned a few things.

Next is an 11 shot group at 25 yards. I subtracted from 100 and marked the score before I realized I sneaked in an extra round:

Name:  IMG_3305.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  44.1 KB

Attempt #2 at 25 yards with the VP9, driving the dot on stock sights, and a real 10 shot group:

Name:  IMG_3306.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  41.9 KB

Attempt #3 was not as successful, but a broken clock is right twice a day:

Name:  IMG_3307.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  42.4 KB

I had to relax in the middle of some of these strings of fire to let my shoulders unwind. I shot about 3-4 shots at a time and tried not to look at the target until I had shot the whole string (remembering Darryl and Wayne's remarks to focus on the front sight). I finished off the day with some LVPO carbine work from a bench and plinking steel with the pistols at 25-50 yards. The B8 practice made that significantly easier and more fun. West Texas does have some great ranges, and I will be contributing more to this thread in the future.

Really starting to like the P10C.

Name:  IMG_8234.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8244.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8282.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  34.8 KB

Well, I can't say much for the placement of the group, but very pleased with the overall size and shape:

Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Admittedly I havn't read through this entire thread but I saw this article by Tim Herron that I thought I'd share

https://www.unitedgungroup.com/news/...21/tim-herron/

Basically he shows in order to shoot a 3 inch group at 25 yards you need to be able to shoot a one hole group at 7 yards.
    I missed this the first go-round, but this is good insight!
    Food Court Apprentice

Site Supporter

Thanks. I just picked up a used G41. It was a red label so it came with the factory minus connector, Orange HD sights (same as my work gun) and the sandpaper talon stick on grip tape.Ive only gotten to shoot it out to 15 yards so far. I'm hoping to try some B8's at 25 this weekend. HD's are not the best for shooting B8s but they are not the worst and will give some cross over training value in relation to my work gun.

User Tag List