Page 92 of 203 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Cold slow fire to start off the range session today. It turns out I’ve been printing out my repair centers using fit to page instead of actual size so my scoring rings are a tiny bit smaller than they should be. Depending on if you count the 9 in the right side that hit the taped holes as a 10 based on where the ring should be, this is either a 94 or a 95. Either way a personal best for me. I believe my prior best was a 93.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Three sets of ten rounds each @ 25 yards with a G19.5 using Lawman 115 grain. For each set, I had one round out and nine in the black. The last set was my best by just a smidge; but my eyes were struggling with the drive-the-dot hold Ameriglo sights. Maybe it's optic time!

Name:  IMG_1637.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  45.9 KB

Continued study, learning to shoot the Gen 5 trigger. In my case, a G45. Numerous posts by GJM are echoing in my head about constant press vs staging to a wall, confirming sights, press through wall. His (and Gio's made the same point) about constant movement always interested me but I was so happy with results of staging to the Gen 3/4 wall then breaking the shot I didn't take to it.

This Gen 5 trigger is so smooth and rolling it compliments that technique, I think. Trying to shoot it like I have been shooting my earlier gen's is more of a struggle when shooting without time limits.

On this 25 yard exercise I shot 3 strings of 5 on the timer. Each string was shot from ready in 10-12 seconds with the timer set to a 12 sec par. Mentally, this seems to keep me pressing vs staging. This is teaching me stuff.

Attachment 31316
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Name:  3103AE74-6D5C-4616-A4C7-6715B3CC0677.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  40.9 KB

Five string average was 97. Getting more consistent but can’t eek a 100 out again.

Qualifications are next month at work and I’m hoping to see tighter groups on the Q target.

Great shooting in this thread.

With my middle-age eyesight, I’m lucky to consistently orient the Black within my sight picture, let alone keep hits within it!

Today with my Beretta LTT Elite and 147 HST.

Name:  IMG_2285.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  32.6 KB

The 147 grain bullets had a slight right bias. I found some 115 grain PMC in the bag and it hit pretty much center.

Name:  IMG_2287.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  44.1 KB

Hammertime
    I burned up 45 rounds through the USPc LEM at 25 just emptying partial mags. Shooting when sights aligned not going particularly slowly, but steady.

I was pretty happy with that distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Continued study, learning to shoot the Gen 5 trigger. In my case, a G45. Numerous posts by GJM are echoing in my head about constant press vs staging to a wall, confirming sights, press through wall. His (and Gio's made the same point) about constant movement always interested me but I was so happy with results of staging to the Gen 3/4 wall then breaking the shot I didn't take to it.

This Gen 5 trigger is so smooth and rolling it compliments that technique, I think. Trying to shoot it like I have been shooting my earlier gen's is more of a struggle when shooting without time limits.

On this 25 yard exercise I shot 3 strings of 5 on the timer. Each string was shot from ready in 10-12 seconds with the timer set to a 12 sec par. Mentally, this seems to keep me pressing vs staging. This is teaching me stuff.

Attachment 31316
    I'm really curious about this. Is the trigger on your 45 that much different than other Glocks you've shot? Would you still stage the trigger on your 45 at closer distances and/or trying to make faster hits vs. just pulling straight through?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    I'm really curious about this. Is the trigger on your 45 that much different than other Glocks you've shot? Would you still stage the trigger on your 45 at closer distances and/or trying to make faster hits vs. just pulling straight through?

The staging at the "wall" is only a technique for making a slower precision shot. Not everyone's technique, maybe not the optimal technique. But it was the method I used on the pistols with a pronounced wall.
    I don't use that on speed drilling.

But yeah, it has surprised me how different this trigger is compared to all the Glocks I've shot about 90K rounds through, 75K since 2010. It is smoother with no drags and hitches and it's rolling break (which I had said I hadn't found in other Glocks just a couple months ago) is qualitatively quite different. Sunday I shot this G45 after 50 rounds function checking a Gen 4 G19 with a "dot" connector. The difference was quite noticeable.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List