Page 90 of 203 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Also, focusing clearly on sight alignment instead of the sight picture has massively improved my distance shooting.
    Absolutely! Do your best to Eliminate angular deviation. Some parallel deviation is acceptable and has far less effect at distance.

My last range trip. I went with the express goal of shooting a 100/100 and did it. I knew it was going to take plenty of concentration. Let your mental focus slip for a moment and then you print an 8. I know this all too well.

It's a little ugly but its a legit 100. I did what I set out to do and left on a high note.

Name:  100.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  35.6 KB

Hammertime
    I do like when I can keep them all in the black. This is slow fire:

Did a bunch of work from 25 yds today working on speed. Ranged from a 12 to 20 seconds. Worst score 59 with 3 misses in 12 seconds, best 86 clean in 15 seconds.

I think I want to work on the speed aspect of this skill a bunch more.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Absolutely! Do your best to Eliminate angular deviation. Some parallel deviation is acceptable and has far less effect at distance.

My last range trip. I went with the express goal of shooting a 100/100 and did it. I knew it was going to take plenty of concentration. Let your mental focus slip for a moment and then you print an 8. I know this all too well.

It's a little ugly but its a legit 100. I did what I set out to do and left on a high note.

Name:  100.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  35.6 KB
    Fantastic. I know it may get redundant but . . . the gun again?

That focus for 10 consecutive is tough.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Fantastic. I know it may get redundant but . . . the gun again?

That focus for 10 consecutive is tough.
    Dan Wesson Valor with a few changes I prefer. 10-8 .156 notch rear sight (no I don't think a large aperture hurts accuracy), Harrison Custom short trigger, Ed Brown Arched Mainspring housing and VZ Alien standard thickness grips and associated bushings.

Dan Wesson Valor with a few changes I prefer. 10-8 .156 notch rear sight (no I don't think a large aperture hurts accuracy), Harrison Custom short trigger, Ed Brown Arched Mainspring housing and VZ Alien standard thickness grips and associated bushings.
    Thank YOU!!! Is it always this Valor or do you shoot a few nice 1911s? I'll try to retain this.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Thank YOU!!! Is it always this Valor or do you shoot a few nice 1911s? I'll try to retain this.
    I have a couple Valors, a DW "Lightweight Commander" the DW custom shop built for me and a Ed Brown Executive Elite all configured identically. I have G21's that can do just as well.

Site Supporter
    I have a couple Valors, a DW "Lightweight Commander" the DW custom shop built for me and a Ed Brown Executive Elite all configured identically. I have G21's that can do just as well.
    Not surprised that the G21 can hang. The ones I've shot have been nothing short of phenomenal accuracy wise.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE

That focus for 10 consecutive is tough.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of which: Do y'all shoot all 10 from one presentation or raise it for each shot?

Site Supporter
    So...this notion of minimizing angular deviation is relatively new to me (because I'm thick skulled) but it has made distance shooting click in a huge way.

Shown below is some 20 yard shooting just to test the Kimber 9mm...which is fast becoming a favorite of mine. Once I get used to the trigger, I think it'll hold its own against my current stable of 1911s, but it seems the grip safety arm is slightly undercut and needs additional clearance. The trigger pull is somewhat variable because of that.

The three groups on the left are from a M&P9 and it's so mind-blowing how awesome an improvement the Apex barrel has been that I'm thinking very hard about replacing an older gen Glock with a TS M&P9.

That top left group I measured out to about 1.5 inches center to center and I suspect it's easily capable of better. The bottom left I yanked a flier and I suspect the sights need a slight drifting.

Last edited by 45dotACP; 09-28-2018 at 05:27 PM.

After being bed-ridden for a few weeks, along with several visits to Urgent Care, etc. I couldn't restrain myself from pulling the trigger... Headed out to the range last night for some 5-inch GROUP therapy. 😅😜

The Shoot-N-C is at 5-inches, and the 3-misses were under 8-inches (was using an IDPA silhouette).

Used 40-rds of factory 230GR CCI Blazer Brass...

Definitely still more work to do...

Cheers,

_

User Tag List