Page 9 of 203 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Kind of looks like the same pattern as the glock? I'm not doubting some MPs have problems (it's well documented) but I'm starting to think there might be more then hardware problems in some cases.
    I missed something. What pattern do you see?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I meant the target, the lack of a steady grouping. I'm not trying to come to any conclusion it was just trying to remember if ash was the one with significant accuracy issues in one of his MPs is all.

Sorry if it seemed like a derail everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Great post, F2S! Thanks for taking the time. I'll be sure to check/work on trigger finger placement next time I'm out.
    Ash, please don't disregard the advice of others that take a different approach to trigger finger placement. It works for me and some of the folks that I teach, but it isn't right for everyone. Moving close to the joint is one of the last steps I take with a shooter that isn't getting along with the Glock.

Dry-fire one-handed to see what your sights are doing on striker fall when you work placement.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

I meant the target, the lack of a steady grouping. I'm not trying to come to any conclusion it was just trying to remember if ash was the one with significant accuracy issues in one of his MPs is all.

I guess I'm still missing what you're getting at. The pistol on the left in each picture shows a pretty clear 3-4" "grouping" and the pistol on the right is wildly throwing shots vertically. Since I'm the one that shot both groups, with both pistols, back-to-back, I guess I don't see how calling out a poorly-performing M&P relates to my trying to improve accuracy with my Glocks. It's not like I'm comparing the Glock to the M&P and saying the Glock is more accurate. If both of my M&P's shot like the one on the left, I'd still be shooting them. As far as the accuracy of the Glock, it doesn't string shots wildly unless I do something wrong as indicated by the target in the first post of the thread. However, I've also gotten it right a few times with the Glock. It's not perfect, but I would at least call it a group:

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Ash, please don't disregard the advice of others that take a different approach to trigger finger placement. It works for me and some of the folks that I teach, but it isn't right for everyone. Moving close to the joint is one of the last steps I take with a shooter that isn't getting along with the Glock.

Dry-fire one-handed to see what your sights are doing on striker fall when you work placement.
    It's individualistic. Pat Mac writes

My teaching of trigger control differs from many other of my fellow credible instructors who I respect.

When I transitioned from 1911 to Glock 19 (For administrative reasons) about a decade ago, I would push my group to my non-firing side. Frustrated, I called a friend at the AMU and asked his advice. He told me that he puts so much finger on the trigger that when complete with his trigger squeeze, he can drop his magazine with his trigger finger. This became my magic elixir. Since sinking my finger, I’ve straightened out my group. I teach this as well with some push back mind you.

In my opinion, splitting the distal phalange, or finger tip, is an anachronism. When using this method, the trigger finger is essentially a fulcrum where sinking the finger becomes a vice. The vice pulls evenly while the fulcrum speeds up at the end of the squeeze. I’m not suggesting that I am right and that this is law. I will add though, that if you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

https://www.facebook.com/AliasTrainingLLC
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Try focusing more on sight alignment than super hard focus on the front sight. Your visual focus maybe sharp on the front sight but the real focus should be on perfect, and I mean perfect, repeatable alignment of the rear sight and front sight on the target. This may require some visual focus changes to acquire the rear sight well enough. Dry different colored targets and shapes as well. If your wobble zone is to large you just need more reps, lots of dryfire.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It's individualistic. Pat Mac writes...
    I had a similar discussion with Mac a couple years ago about this. Have had the same with other industry Glock shooters, which is good validation.

However, I have heard/read things from other instructors/competitors that go the other way, and I do not disagree with them, it just doesn't work as well for me.

I am not a proponent of a single approach to success, so I prefer to add paths, not exclude.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Oh I thought it was a pattern with F2S analysis photos which, considering those are 3x5 cards at 25 yards are quite consistent. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I had a similar discussion with Mac a couple years ago about this. Have had the same with other industry Glock shooters, which is good validation.

However, I have heard/read things from other instructors/competitors that go the other way, and I do not disagree with them, it just doesn't work as well for me.

I am not a proponent of a single approach to success, so I prefer to add paths, not exclude.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Yes, I applied the PatMac (Ayoob recommended it long ago as an option) in my first few years of Glock monogamy and it seemed to help but over time I'm back to mid pad (Surf's way) and that has worked better all the way around. Problem with the deep reach is that I've found those that might need it most have too small of hands to pull it off.

Speaking of 25 yard shooting. Got done with the NRA AP World Shoot today, sort of a warm up for Bianchi Cup. All of the events have a 25 yard component, and 2 stretch it further to 35 or 50. Generally speaking the strings at 25 were my strongest. I struggled at 15 on the mover and 20 on the plates, and 50 on the practical. The only stage where I was generally happy was the Barricade, shooting a pedestrian 442 but not making any major mistakes.

I ended up 1717 overall, which is a main match PR. We'll see how I do at the real thing next week.

User Tag List