Page 88 of 203 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I stress the difference between parallel and angular deviation. Stop looking back and forth from the target to the sights. Place the front sight on the target then concentrate on perfecting the sight alignment and maintaining it through the trigger break.

I will usually demo the difference between parallel and angular deviation by shooting up close (3 yards) then taking it back to 10 yards. I’ll fire a string at both distances while moving the pistol in a figure 8. Demonstrating that the group size doesn’t open up as long as the relationship between front and rear sight is maintained. Also shoot at both distances with improperly aligned sights to demonstrate how angular deviation degrades performance as distance increases. Often they get the hint that sight alignment is more important than sight picture especially as distance from the target increases.
    Thank you, sir, for writing this. Solid gold there. I've read the AMU book before and been shooting a lot lately, but I never connected the dots on this. Didn't realize how much going back and forth between the aligned sights and the target was hurting my consistency.
    Today, trusting my sight alignment, my accuracy and consistency at 25 yards and farther was much better. This was my cold start target: 10 rounds from 25 yards in 20 seconds, drawing from concealment.
    Thanks again, much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  34.4 KB

My new G41 in .45 ACP.

Really digging the little bit of extra sight radius this pistol offers up. This was my final target on about a 100-150 round session. Most of the others were 95s and 94s with 8 ring hits here and there. I finally settled down and printed a decent one at my skill level.

Factory Glock with Ameriglo Defoor sights that are actually for the 9/40 models. I read somewhere that the 10/45 Defoors printed high at 25 and rolled the dice with the 9/40 sizes. The slide is a 9/40 thickness anyway so I figured they would work. Six o'clock hold at the bottom of the black.

Ammo S&B 230 grain FMJ.

Very happy with this pistol so far. Slapping some Talon grips on when they arrive.
    Last edited by lwt16; 08-27-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    The Gen 5 G19 I've been shooting seems to like 115 gr lawman. Adding a RMR has made it much easier to shoot with groups like this being pretty commonplace at 25 yards. Just need to tighten the fliers. The trigger is stock presently and I like it pretty well especially because it's my carry gat. Chasing smaller groups with a 5.0lb firing pin spring might be counterproductive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

From a few night ago with @mtnbkr

This is my gen4 17 with my “accuracy load”, a 5.7ish grains of power pistol and a 124 jhp.
    One flyer that I knew was off after the break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Name:  4020A16F-75ED-4A13-9A51-6145616E3402.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  39.1 KB

My first 100 (barely). Got super lucky on the one on the far right. Tore the paper just right.

This was my first, cold run. First 10 rounds of the day.

After that, shot one 99-1X and the rest mid 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Name:  4020A16F-75ED-4A13-9A51-6145616E3402.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  39.1 KB

My first 100 (barely). Got super lucky on the one on the far right. Tore the paper just right.

This was my first, cold run. First 10 rounds of the day.

After that, shot one 99-1X and the rest mid 90s.
    Great shooting, especially cold and with an iron sighted pistol!
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Great shooting, especially cold and with an iron sighted pistol!
    Thanks! I almost didn't even go today as my wife and I got back from a three day road trip late yesterday afternoon.

She got up and went to work......I moped around the house and actually had to drag myself out to go fire off some rounds. I wasn't expecting much as I am super tired from the road trip.

Had two B8 full size targets left and decided to post one since I figured I would miss the repair centers completely. Stapled one up, went back to the 25, and shot this right out the gate. Walked back down to the target and couldn't believe it.

And then I, of course, couldn't repeat it. lol

This new G41 is going to end up being my favorite. And that would figure since I am down to less than 250 rounds of S&B .45 ACP.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Thanks! I almost didn't even go today as my wife and I got back from a three day road trip late yesterday afternoon.

She got up and went to work......I moped around the house and actually had to drag myself out to go fire off some rounds. I wasn't expecting much as I am super tired from the road trip.

Had two B8 full size targets left and decided to post one since I figured I would miss the repair centers completely. Stapled one up, went back to the 25, and shot this right out the gate. Walked back down to the target and couldn't believe it.

And then I, of course, couldn't repeat it. lol

This new G41 is going to end up being my favorite. And that would figure since I am down to less than 250 rounds of S&B .45 ACP.

Regards.
    Fantastic shooting! I've been really impressed with S&B 230 grain ball across several cases of it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Damn lwt that's some awesome shooting. Making me miss my .45 Glocks. For whatever reason they seem far more accurate than their europellet counterparts

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6 months cold

Name:  IMG_3099.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  43.8 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List