Page 79 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I thought that group looked a little tight for an OEM 17. Good shooting on your part.

I've been debating putting an Ameriglo .140 ProGlo front on my 19 to pair with a Sevigny rear. Seems like the .140/.150 pairing would be tight. If only they made a .240-.250 tall .125 Pro Glo front...
    .140/.150 combo would be fun to try! My elder son loves some 10-8 sets where he combined their now discontinued .130 rear U notch to .125 front and shoot them lights out.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    .140/.150 combo would be fun to try! My elder son loves some 10-8 sets where he combined their now discontinued .130 rear U notch to .125 front and shoot them lights out.
    There's also the "CAP Precision" set that Ameriglo makes (I think it's only sold through Handgun Combatives, though). .125" front, with a narrow (.135"?) rear - so, pretty hi viz front with tight light bars. I really like it on my G34...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    There's also the "CAP Precision" set that Ameriglo makes (I think it's only sold through Handgun Combatives, though). .125" front, with a narrow (.135"?) rear - so, pretty hi viz front with tight light bars. I really like it on my G34...
    The CAP PA looks excellent. Why didn't I know about this sight? If I was in the market for a new Glock, I'd try them.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My G43 has (now discontinued ) Ameriglo Operator yellow/green 3 dot sights. Dimensions are 0.140" front / 0.140" rear, for a very tight sight picture. I'm seeing a theme among some of us: narrow sights, with tight notches. I am able to shoot this sight combo pretty darn well at distance, and close up (e.g. Turbo and Light scores on the Gabe drills).

I'm wondering why some of us are bucking the trend of big fronts in sloppy notches? Is it that we share a high level of shooting skill (e.g. M/GM class), good vision, we are asshats, or perhaps something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My G43 has (now discontinued ) Ameriglo Operator yellow/green 3 dot sights. Dimensions are 0.140" front / 0.140" rear, for a very tight sight picture. I'm seeing a theme among some of us: narrow sights, with tight notches. I am able to shoot this sight combo pretty darn well at distance, and close up (e.g. Turbo and Light scores on the Gabe drills).

I'm wondering why some of us are bucking the trend of big fronts in sloppy notches? Is it that we share a high level of shooting skill (e.g. M/GM class), good vision, we are asshats, or perhaps something else?
    I've been very happy with the FAT big fronts in moderate notches aka the original HD for any purpose. But I see what you mean. With these high vis front sights we don't need a gulch of a notch for close speed. I like the precision cause that floats my boat.

I am cognizant of the feedback from the purely martial side that there is an element of situational awareness lost in very tight rear notch windows. This is in the context of possible no shoots moving around the target. I just haven't had the time or RAM to grasp it, test it out etc.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

I’ve never heard in any of the defensive training I’ve had about “situational awareness lost in very tight rear notch windows”. This doesn’t make much sense to me, and I’m trying to keep an open mind about it. If I’m shooting with both eyes open, how could a tight notch obscure a non-threat?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've been very happy with the FAT big fronts in moderate notches aka the original HD for any purpose. But I see what you mean. With these high vis front sights we don't need a gulch of a notch for close speed. I like the precision cause that floats my boat.

I am cognizant of the feedback from the purely martial side that there is an element of situational awareness lost in very tight rear notch windows. This is in the context of possible no shoots moving around the target. I just haven't had the time or RAM to grasp it, test it out etc.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-03-2018 at 11:26 AM.

I’ve never heard in any of the defensive training I’ve had about “situational awareness lost in very tight rear notch windows”. This doesn’t make much sense to me, and I’m trying to keep an open mind about it. If I’m shooting with both eyes open, how could a right notch obscure a non-threat?
    It hit me as a pretty radical concept too.

The feedback was offered to me directly on the range while comparing different sights. I'd never considered it before and I'm not done processing the feedback.
    I don't think we're speaking of the closer ranges both eyes open but yeah I saw some potential impact sighting out at 25 yards. I understand it to be particularly impactful in possibly telling one to slam on the brakes and don't break that shot.

And when I get out to longer ranges I'm squinting down to one dominant eye pretty much.

I don't mean to make too much of it. I just wanted to acknowledge it. I haven't changes sights over it or anything. I have thought about trying the Trij HD-XR to this end.

And speaking of which, here is their product description. https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...t1.php?id=HDXR

With the challenges of the changing landscape in law enforcement comes the next evolution
    of the Trijicon Night Sight line. Building on the features of the current HD™ Night Sights,
    the Trijicon HD XR™ night sights are for the next level of advanced target identification
    and engagement at increased distances. A thinner front sight post allows shooters to have
    a larger field of view which further enhances the ability to identify targets, expedite engagements
    and see location of hits on target at longer distances. Pistol shooters that need the advantage
    of a more precise engagement in any light can count on the Trijicon HD XR™ Night Sights.

What else could "field of view" be for in this context? I dunno. Sounds like SA. It's fascinating. But sights get expensive.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-03-2018 at 11:39 AM.

I don't know, but I hear you and I have a couple of guesses about this. I tend to think that more practice supports more precise index (stopping a gun on target with the sights already well-aligned) even with sights with tighter dimensions. Larger sight dimensions are easier to do that with. The downside is that it can be easier to present the gun with sights out of alignment initially, and have a more time-costly remediation as we try to find the front sight in the tighter rear notch. But for many of us, that is largely dealt with by practice and the resultant indexing ability. Plus, I'd guess that higher levels of practice are associated with an interest in being able to address harder shooting problems. With the handgun, that largely takes the form of 15-25-50+ yard targets of various sizes and presentations, while under time pressure. For THOSE shooting tasks, I bet a lot of us benefit from somewhat tighter sight dimensions.

I noticed a significant mental reorientation with regard to my expectation of the kind of hits produced by the basic condition of front sight within rear notch, but not perfectly aligned, when I moved from .125/150 sights to .105/.125 sights, and now that I have moved to .140/.160 (I think?) I am dealing with another mental reorientation.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I think it's more simply explained that the people designing and consulting on the vast majority of "shooting" related products on the market are not high level shooters and just don't know what they don't know. Take Trijicon and the HD vs. HD XR sights for example. They release a thinner front sight thinking that's what people want, but failed to make the rear notch narrower, resulting in a large ratio of front to rear sight width. The people designing the sights probably don't understand why the front to rear sight ratio is even important.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-04-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I don't know, but I hear you and I have a couple of guesses about this. I tend to think that more practice supports more precise index (stopping a gun on target with the sights already well-aligned) even with sights with tighter dimensions. Larger sight dimensions are easier to do that with. The downside is that it can be easier to present the gun with sights out of alignment initially, and have a more time-costly remediation as we try to find the front sight in the tighter rear notch. But for many of us, that is largely dealt with by practice and the resultant indexing ability. Plus, I'd guess that higher levels of practice are associated with an interest in being able to address harder shooting problems. With the handgun, that largely takes the form of 15-25-50+ yard targets of various sizes and presentations, while under time pressure. For THOSE shooting tasks, I bet a lot of us benefit from somewhat tighter sight dimensions.

I noticed a significant mental reorientation with regard to my expectation of the kind of hits produced by the basic condition of front sight within rear notch, but not perfectly aligned, when I moved from .125/150 sights to .105/.125 sights, and now that I have moved to .140/.160 (I think?) I am dealing with another mental reorientation.
    To test my understanding, you are shooting a front sight that is larger than the rear? .140 rear, .160 front?

User Tag List