Page 75 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Thanks GJM, I'll do as you suggested and I appreciate your quick responses. I don't expect you to know what ammo shoots best in my pistol but can you suggest a brand/type to try?
    For decades, the Federal 9BP 115 JHP has been considered nearly match accurate. And it is not that much more expensive than FMJ. Might be worth obtaining a couple of boxes to try.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federa...llow-point-9bp
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 01-24-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Between this and my battlefield green Gen 4 G26 this one has about 1200 more rounds through it and it's trigger is much smoother (minus OEM connector, scales about 5 1/4 lbs).

The POI was 6'oclock on the bull below the group. I swapped on a .245 tall front HD post and it brought POI into the bull. The following week I used that combo to shoot a 277 with it on the Modified FBI Bullseye (15 and 25 yards). Its a sweetheart.

Attachment 24478
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

My best of 3 attempts at a 10 round group @ 25 yds from the other day. Progress.

G19.4 w/SCD, G17.3 trigger bar and lightly polished internals, Dawson Chargers FO front/black rear.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Last edited by spinmove_; 03-16-2018 at 09:16 AM.

My quest for 10 in the 'black' continues to elude me but progress is being made. Shot 5 strings yesterday. These were the first two and the best two. Each subsequent string had more flyers and bigger groups.

This is with a G19 gen 2 and Aguila 124.

Name:  IMG_1448.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  21.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1451.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  20.0 KB

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    My quest for 10 in the 'black'...
    That’s good shooting.

I’m getting there, had 6/10 last session. It seemed the faster I pressed, the better I shot. Kinda weird.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-18-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    That’s good shooting.

I’m getting there, had 6/10 last session. It seemed the faster I pressed, the better I shot. Kinda weird.
    Kinda normal with a Glock Rich, at least up to a certain point. I really believe that aggressively working a Glock trigger is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    That’s good shooting.

Thank you sir. There seems to be a sweet spot for me that I know when I feel it but I don't know it well enough to consistently repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Thank you sir. There seems to be a sweet spot for me that I know when I feel it but I don't know it well enough to consistently repeat it.
    I wish sometimes I had better access to a steel plate. The one time I had good opportunity to shoot one with @MSparks909 the ‘ding’ of a hit on steel was a real motivator.

I had an interesting experience during dry fire that led me to think that how hard I grip the gun may be compromising my trigger finger isolation. So the next time I went to the range, I put up a target with multiple bullseyes (B-8 dimensions without the X ring). I shot two 10-shot groups freestyle at 25 yards, the top one with my normal shooting grip, the bottom one with much less grip pressure in my strong hand (maybe 20-30% of normal). No change to my support hand grip. I shot both groups at the same time, alternating shots and resting in a compressed high ready between pairs, and even went AB, BA, AB, BA to make the comparison as even as possible. The bottom group is the best centerfire group I've ever shot. This was with a Walther P99 AS.

So...does this suggest I should apply less pressure with my strong hand, or that I need to learn to better isolate my trigger finger while maintaining the same pressure? I do not know to what extent the lack of "true" isolation I observed is based on anatomy (cannot be changed) vs. habitual patterns of movement (can be learned). Need to do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    I had an interesting experience during dry fire that led me to think that how hard I grip the gun may be compromising my trigger finger isolation. So the next time I went to the range, I put up a target with multiple bullseyes (B-8 dimensions without the X ring). I shot two 10-shot groups freestyle at 25 yards, the top one with my normal shooting grip, the bottom one with much less grip pressure in my strong hand (maybe 20-30% of normal). No change to my support hand grip. I shot both groups at the same time, alternating shots and resting in a compressed high ready between pairs, and even went AB, BA, AB, BA to make the comparison as even as possible. The bottom group is the best centerfire group I've ever shot. This was with a Walther P99 AS.

So...does this suggest I should apply less pressure with my strong hand, or that I need to learn to better isolate my trigger finger while maintaining the same pressure? I do not know to what extent the lack of "true" isolation I observed is based on anatomy (cannot be changed) vs. habitual patterns of movement (can be learned). Need to do some research.

Very interested to hear more from you and others on this. Also to try it myself next range day.
    SCD
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 03-20-2018 at 08:51 AM.

User Tag List