Page 71 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

I haven't shot handguns much the past month, been shooting bolt action rifles working on unknown distance shooting.

Broke out a 34 and a 17L for some 25 yard slow fire yesterday and today and couldn't shoot anything better than 8" with the 34, couldn't get any better than 9" with the 17L. Just shot horribly. A lot of misses.

Not real sure whats going on. It was windy as hell and the sun was to the front, but it sure is discouraging to see how fast the handgun shooting perishes. Last month I was drilling 4" groups with my 34, now I feel like I'm back to a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I haven't shot handguns much the past month, been shooting bolt action rifles working on unknown distance shooting.

Broke out a 34 and a 17L for some 25 yard slow fire yesterday and today and couldn't shoot anything better than 8" with the 34, couldn't get any better than 9" with the 17L. Just shot horribly. A lot of misses.

Not real sure whats going on. It was windy as hell and the sun was to the front, but it sure is discouraging to see how fast the handgun shooting perishes. Last month I was drilling 4" groups with my 34, now I feel like I'm back to a beginner.
    That's why I get paranoid about leaving Glock shooting for other types of guns exclusively (ie 320, Mk25, USP, CZ75, 92FS, M&P in recent years). I have to stay somewhat current on their triggers to not crash and burn. Now for example I'm putting primary focus on my 1911 shooting but I try to get 50 rounds through one of my Glocks each time out also. It may interfere with maximizing what I'm trying to do with my 1911s but . . . it's paranoia, not logic.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I went back out with the 17L today and did a lot better.

The wind is still blowing 20mph, so for one group I leaned my butt against the tailgate and got 9 of ten rounds in 4" right around the center, I tossed one 4" right.

Free standing in the wind I was pretty good for 8"-9" groups, all centered.

I hate to say it, but I think my issue is not having a hard front sight focus as the shot breaks. The sun is a little to front of me and I can't see the serrations on the solid black front sight. I'm turning 37 tomorrow and I'm starting to understand why it was so easy to stomp the shit out of all those old guys on the range when I was in my 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I went back out with the 17L today and did a lot better.

The wind is still blowing 20mph, so for one group I leaned my butt against the tailgate and got 9 of ten rounds in 4" right around the center, I tossed one 4" right.

Free standing in the wind I was pretty good for 8"-9" groups, all centered.

I hate to say it, but I think my issue is not having a hard front sight focus as the shot breaks. The sun is a little to front of me and I can't see the serrations on the solid black front sight. I'm turning 37 tomorrow and I'm starting to understand why it was so easy to stomp the shit out of all those old guys on the range when I was in my 20s.
    Give it 20 years. You ain't seen nothing yet. [emoji851]

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That's why I get paranoid about leaving Glock shooting for other types of guns exclusively (ie 320, Mk25, USP, CZ75, 92FS, M&P in recent years). I have to stay somewhat current on their triggers to not crash and burn. Now for example I'm putting primary focus on my 1911 shooting but I try to get 50 rounds through one of my Glocks each time out also. It may interfere with maximizing what I'm trying to do with my 1911s but . . . it's paranoia, not logic.
    I hear ya. I've trained exclusively with a Sig P320c for months in anticipation of a demanding class next weekend that may include lots of bullseye-type work. Due to recent events I transitioned to my old Steyr L9 and it's a very different trigger, grip angle, index, recoil feel, sight picture, etc. I feel like I gave up a ton of progress, especially at 25 yards. I forgot how good the GG trigger is. Fracking Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    I hear ya. I've trained exclusively with a Sig P320c for months in anticipation of a demanding class next weekend that may include lots of bullseye-type work. Due to recent events I transitioned to my old Steyr L9 and it's a very different trigger, grip angle, index, recoil feel, sight picture, etc. I feel like I gave up a ton of progress, especially at 25 yards. I forgot how good the GG trigger is. Fracking Sig.
    Whoa that sucks biggly.

BTW when I say "trigger" up above, I really mean everything about pressing that trigger including the grip.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Soooo, I expect there will be a day where I just sell all my shit and go full retard for 1911 type guns.

Five consecutive five shot groups (I was checking to see if my sights needed drifting...seems to be shooting left)

First group was mostly target focused shooting as the sights came down from recoil and settled. The second group, I working a continuous trigger press vs taking up slack. The third one, I started keeping the sights as still as possible and reducing the wobble zone. The fourth group I did that plus Bruce Gray's "bump drill" and the fifth group was nearly my finest group with a pistol if it hadn't been for that f#&@ing flyer.

Goddammit.

Now if I could do this with a contemporary double stack 9mm I'd be fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've never shot anything that does as well as a 1911. When I used to compete in Single Stack, me and a buddy would sometimes shoot against each other at matches and just shoot all heads. I would regularly take match most accurate, even won match overall a few times doing that at small local matches.

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Try as I might this is the absolute best I've been able to squeeze out of my 17.5 and when I say this is the best, the others are abysmal. I'm using the Ameriglo sights which have a wide .140" front and a rear notch that is approximately .160".

For comparison this is my duty 17.4 using Heinie sights on the left and a Ameriglo .125 wide front on the right.

Same gen4 with the factory meprolight sights. While they are a very wide front sight the rear notch is very small keeping the light bars tight.

I keep hearing how the gen5 is supposed to be more accurate than the gen4s but I'll be damned if I can them to group well. I think I'm going to try a .125 front with a .125 rear notch and see what I can pull off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EJO; 09-05-2017 at 09:30 PM.

I recognize that multi-bull target. I gather from your location that we practice at the same range

Nice shooting!

J

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Soooo, I expect there will be a day where I just sell all my shit and go full retard for 1911 type guns.

Five consecutive five shot groups (I was checking to see if my sights needed drifting...seems to be shooting left)

First group was mostly target focused shooting as the sights came down from recoil and settled. The second group, I working a continuous trigger press vs taking up slack. The third one, I started keeping the sights as still as possible and reducing the wobble zone. The fourth group I did that plus Bruce Gray's "bump drill" and the fifth group was nearly my finest group with a pistol if it hadn't been for that f#&@ing flyer.

Goddammit.

Now if I could do this with a contemporary double stack 9mm I'd be fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List