Page 64 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    I had 2 P30L's (sold one 3 days ago, bought another that I will test, but guarantee I will have the same hold) that had the exact same hold one with the phosphorescent sights and the other with the TRU Glow, plus, with the ancient USP40 and a P2000SK - everything requires the same hold for me - man it seems almost impossible it's hardware based.

EDIT: I'm really out of practice with the USP and P2000SK but side by side P30L LEMs with two different sets of sights is enough confirmation for me, if that makes sense.
    EDIT 2: and I have had solid shooters shoot my guns and say I'm out in left field on this, I just want to understand, more than anything
    EDIT 3: Are you saying I should buy a taller front sight? Definitely a consideration but I'd love to work out all my own personal bugs first...If it's possible...
    So let me get this straight...you're saying you sometimes "heel" (I had to Google this because I'd never heard of it), while shooting groups at distance. Some days your hold puts shots in the black and some days it doesn't. Have you tried a different backstrap? If you're truly "heeling" like you say you are, maybe you need a larger or smaller one. What's on the gun now?
    Shoot more, post less...

I'm not sure I even understand how someone heels a gun, but I have made mistakes that pushed me away from center consistently.

Sometimes I catch the too light grip hitting high and correct it. Sometimes an errant shot is a mystery. Grip and trigger.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm not sure I even understand how someone heels a gun, but I have made mistakes that pushed me away from center consistently.

Sometimes I catch the too light grip hitting high and correct it. Sometimes an errant shot is a mystery. Grip and trigger.
    One of the most common ways is not isolating the trigger press and squeezing with the entire hand. For me, it creeps up shooting with my off-hand. Trigger and grip......about all we really need to remember for most shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    So let me get this straight...you're saying you sometimes "heel" (I had to Google this because I'd never heard of it), while shooting groups at distance. Some days your hold puts shots in the black and some days it doesn't. Have you tried a different backstrap? If you're truly "heeling" like you say you are, maybe you need a larger or smaller one. What's on the gun now?
    When doing ultra slowfire and messing with ball & dummy yes, I can observe the gun push up slightly on a dummy round. But as stated, I have no consistency with it day to day and frankly I've been focused lately on holding more aggressively and guaranteeing I fight back on the gun (like I would do for any other kind of shooting).

Standard grip backstrap, I've messed with the large ones, seems like standard is the right size for my mits, who knows though.

I need to get to a good class and have someone observe this shit IRL I think.
    Last edited by SsevenN; 04-26-2017 at 07:38 AM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    When doing ultra slowfire and messing with ball & dummy yes, I can observe the gun push up slightly on a dummy round. But as stated, I have no consistency with it day to day and frankly I've been focused lately on holding more aggressively and guaranteeing I fight back on the gun (like I would do for any other kind of shooting).

Standard grip backstrap, I've messed with the large ones, seems like standard is the right size for my mits, who knows though.

I need to get to a good class and have someone observe this shit IRL I think.

I just had a realization - I haven't observed the heeling since 2-3 months ago on my old FNS guns, I might be falsely equating things here. I think I need to stop worrying about it and just hold where I need to hold.

Ignore my ramblings, the more I try to explain the more confusing I'm making things, let's just chalk this up to facile deductive observational work and move on, sorry everybody.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Spring time in Alaska. Warming up the 10mm
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Shot some 25Y groups today with my PX4 CC. I've got my work cut out for me with this thing. Not tooting my own horn but I can almost always shoot at least a 90 cold with my Brig Tac, no matter what ammo I feed it. My 10 shot groups averaged in the mid 80s. I shot a 91 once. It seemed to favor the Speer 115 over the Speer 124 and 147. Had some interesting horizontal stringing with the 124 stuff while using the same hold as the 115 and 147. I'm still learning my hold with these sights so next trip should go better. Shooting at a moderate pace, a shot every 2-3 seconds. Short term goal is to clear a 90 in under 30 seconds from the holster. The short barrel length and sight radius certainly highlight every flaw in sight alignment and trigger control.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 04-26-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

I'm not much of a slow shooter on 25 yds. I just try to shoot like I do anything else. Acceptable sight picture, press, reset during recoil (something I'm working hard on), then press when the sights settle.

Last 5 shots of the day. Freestyle from high ready around 5-8 seconds.
    46/50, right?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I'm not much of a slow shooter on 25 yds. I just try to shoot like I do anything else. Acceptable sight picture, press, reset during recoil (something I'm working hard on), then press when the sights settle.

Last 5 shots of the day. Freestyle from high ready around 5-8 seconds.
    46/50, right?

Looks that way to me. Nice going!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Looks that way to me. Nice going!
    Thanks ASH! Your 25 yds work inspires me.

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List