Page 58 of 203 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Yesterday was a little chilly at 32 degrees so I started at 15 yards. COF was shooting from left to right, 1 round each, and repeat. First shot on the left target was high (shot cold) and I don't know what's going on with the right target. The dots are pasters from a Shoot-N-C.

I moved it back to 25 and shot 10 on the left. On the right side I shot 10 SHO and 10 WHO.

I tried again today since it was a little warmer. Left side was shot cold and I think I completely missed one on the right side unless it went in the same hole.

Last edited by johnson; 12-11-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    I don't know what's going on with the right target. The dots are pasters from a Shoot-N-C.
    Food for thought:
    Time of day, lighting conditions and position of the sun all can contribute to how you visually interrogate your sights. I have been out on the range when my crisp clear sight picture evaporated with the passing of a cloud. This time of year with the sun lower in the sky I find the lighting conditions to change more rapidly. As the sun sinks in the sky what you perceive as centered in the notch can differ based on shadow biasing on one side verses the other.

A VP9 wearing Trijicon HDs, using 147gr Speer Lawman. I'll take it, given that HDs play merry hell with my ability to make out the tip of the front sight particularly well.

Name:  20161218.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  36.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    A VP9 wearing Trijicon HDs, using 147gr Speer Lawman. I'll take it, given that HDs play merry hell with my ability to make out the tip of the front sight particularly well.

Name:  20161218.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  36.1 KB
    Very nice. Was that 'hold' star on the B8 where you held it?

My VP9 w HDs seems to be center of dot, but my groups at 25 more resemble a shotgun blast

Nice job! Looks like a 97 to me.

Now a question for you. Can you tell me what happened with that shot that landed in the 8-ring? If you were visually dialed in you should know. If you didn't call it based upon your sight picture as the shot broke you probably lost visual and mental focus on that particular shot. Think about it. This is how you get to where you can score a 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Was that 'hold' star on the B8 where you held it?
    Yeah, prior group was both higher and more ragged, using a lollipop hold on the bull, so I tried again by trying to perceive just a skosh of white between sight and bull.

JohnO, that was my 8th shot; didn't breathe quite right, eyes were swimming. I *should* know to just bail on the shot and start over....but foolishly didn't. Knew it had broken to the right, but didn't think it'd broken that far.

JohnO, that was my 8th shot; didn't breathe quite right, eyes were swimming. I *should* know to just bail on the shot and start over....but foolishly didn't. Knew it had broken to the right, but didn't think it'd broken that far.
    Got ya. Been there, done that many a time.

Yeah, prior group was both higher and more ragged, using a lollipop hold on the bull, so I tried again by trying to perceive just a skosh of white between sight and bull.

I'll post up my 25 yard VP 9 group with Dawson Competition sights & 147 grain HST later this week.

My range trips have been lacking since a puppy joined the family. I have been spending all my time with the puppy making sure she bonds with me. Yesterday I decided I would take her to the range and see how she handles gunfire and to expose her to it. She was kept teathered to a tree 50 yards back from the firing line and fortunately I was the only one on the range.

It's been weeks since I last shot and that last time was the only time since Dec. 10 when the puppy arrived. Prior to that I made it to the range Thanksgiving weekend. So I figured some Strong Hand only @ 25 yards to work fundamentals was in order. 10 rounds cold. I called the 8-ring shot when it broke. I was surprised it wasn't worse.

My new range buddy. 12.5 weeks old. Only problem she had at the range was seeing me but not being able to be with me.

Today's target 25 yards SHO. I decided to just concentrate on one hand shooting for awhile. Thought this was pretty good and ended it there. Nice thing about having the club 10 minutes away is I can pop in and out easily. Now it's off to the woods with the puppy.

User Tag List