Page 56 of 203 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

I'm gonna cheat

Preparing handloads today
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I walked off the firing line on a high note today.

First thing I did today was put my frame out at 50 yards and fired 10 rounds cold. I used an old target that I taped. Here is the result.

When the one high and two low rounds broke I could tell they were a touch off vertically. I scored the target at an 88. One could argue that the round at 4-o'clock is just braking the line for a 89. In general I felt really good about my performance and decided to move my frame to 25 yards put up a fresh target and shoot it for a score. (I really like warming up at 50 for shooting at 25.)

Here is my first 10 round group at 25 yards. My first shot was the 10 on the line at 5-o'clock. My second shot was the 9 at 7-o'clock. After printing the 9 the usual "there goes the perfect score" thought ran through my head. However something clicked and I proceeded to pound the next 8 rounds solidly within the X-ring. Finishing with a score of 99 with 8X.

Having shot 8Xs in a row I wanted to keep going so I quickly loaded up another 10 round magazine and went back at it on the same target.

I didn't have the same magic going for the X-ring but my second string was a 100 with 3X. (I'm counting 9 not in the X-ring for a total of 11X with 8X from the first string.)

After scoring the 100 I decided to walk away taking the advice of both Mike Pannone & Ken Hackathorn who advocate leaving the range on a high note.

A friggin machine! Saw JohnO was last post and I was like "Oh shit I gotta see this!" Goodness
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

What gun was that with john? Beautiful shooting.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    What gun was that with john? Beautiful shooting.
    That's what I asked last week. Valor with curved MSH and short trigger.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I haven't fired a pistol in 6 weeks. Finally got to the range over lunch today. First 10 of the day, I've got some work to do before Gabe's class in April!

Last edited by ASH556; 10-17-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Having recently taken the Vickers & Hackathorn 1911 class I was again exposed to "The Test". Listening to Ken Hackathorn saying he believes "The Test" is the single best pistol drill one can run stuck with me and I try to run it frequently. Today after some 75 yard practice (slow fire) on a B-8 bull I decided to run "The Test", only with a twist. Instead of 10 rounds, 10 seconds, 10 yards I tried it at 25 yards.

Shot from ready gun. Time 10.13 seconds. 96, 1X.

I was very pleased with the result. Vickers wants them all in the black to pass. Hackathorn lets you drop 10 points to pass. (both at 10 yards)

I watched the front sight settle on the black and pressed each shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Having recently taken the Vickers & Hackathorn 1911 class I was again exposed to "The Test". Listening to Ken Hackathorn saying he believes "The Test" is the single best pistol drill one can run stuck with me and I try to run it frequently. Today after some 75 yard practice (slow fire) on a B-8 bull I decided to run "The Test", only with a twist. Instead of 10 rounds, 10 seconds, 10 yards I tried it at 25 yards.

I was very pleased with the result. Vickers wants them all in the black to pass. Hackathorn lets you drop 10 points to pass. (both at 10 yards)

That's sick. You are definitely a highly skilled shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    That's sick. You are definitely a highly skilled shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. That's a hell to the m & effin' yeah target!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaiHu; 10-17-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

This is where I am at today with an old friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List