Page 55 of 203 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Thanks JohnO, but I like this advice better

But for real, to both of you, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    5 SA then On a new target 5DA. only keep the SA target, the DA one looks funny.
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 08-19-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    Anyone notice that it's more difficult to shoot at 25 yards with a RDS than it is with iron sights?

The target focused sight picture makes me yank the trigger when I have the dot over the center of the B8. It's harder for me to allow a degree of wobble to occur when I see the point of impact moving all over the place. I can keep my shots within the black 90 percent of the time with irons, but roughly 65 ish percent of the time with the dot.

This is totally attributed to my lack of self control, and poor trigger control when I'm excited.

Anyone else experience this?
    I experienced the exact opposite. Due to the way my eyes work (weirdly) I was not able to consistently focus on the front sight throughout the trigger press while keeping the sights aligned with the target. The RDS solved that problem for me and with my ability to fine tune my zero on the RMR, I've seen a vast improvement in both accuracy and consistency at 25+ yards.

I've been playing around with a different technique for 25yd bulls. I used to watch the dot in the wobble zone and try the "ambush" style of breaking the shot when the dot was where I wanted it. I found that this lead to inconsistent trigger presses. What I've been playing with now is starting the trigger press and not stopping; when I know my shot is about to break, I "muscle" the dot into position - or as close to it as I can get - and let the shot break as it normally would. It sounds counter intuitive and does not agree with everything I've been taught thus far, however it has lead to more consistency and tighter groups on the target.

I should note that I have only played with that technique on 25yd B8, 10rd strings, some 50yd groups and Dot T.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    How do you suggest shooting a 25yard slow fire drill with da/sa?

Is it still da first shot, then sa, then decock and repeat?
    I think that largely depends on why exactly you're shooting at 25yds. When I was refining the zero on my RMR on my P07 at 25, I would shoot the strings in SA because I wanted to eliminate as much human error as possible in the process. Now, when I shoot 10rd strings for score, the first shot is DA and the rest are SA until the gun comes off target. If I bring the gun off target to rest my arms in the middle of the string, then I'll decock and the next shot thereafter will be DA.

It is obviously important to master the DA if you're going to carry/use a DA/SA gun. However it is also important to identify the "why" behind whatever it is you're doing on the range that day. If you want to work on the DA pull and get a lot of practice in on that, then I suggest that should be what you do on the range. Perhaps 10 DA shots on a scoreable target. If you want to shoot tight 10rd groups at distance, under no time limit, then I personally would shoot that DA/SA (because I want as much data as possible on my actual performance with my setup at that distance); however I wouldn't imagine that there'd be any downside to shooting that entirely SA. If you're doing something like "The Test" then you're going to have to shoot it DA/SA.

Just identify what you want to work on and then devise a training plan that will allow you to work on it.

Today's 25 yard target 10 rounds. If only I could take back the 1st shot (high 9) and the last shot (low 9).

Oh my! Remind us the tools you applied that killer software through if you have a chance. That is gorgeous. Ten like that is sick. I ain't never 10 like that.
    Last edited by JHC; 09-17-2016 at 06:34 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Oh my! Remind us the tools you applied that killer software through if you have a chance. That is gorgeous. Ten like that is sick. I ain't never 10 like that.
    Tool used was a Dan Wesson Valor. A few modifications added by me: Ed Brown arched mainspring housing, short trigger, 10-8 .156" U-notch rear sight and VZ Alien (Std. thickness) grips. (That configuration is found on all my 1911s in the toolbox.) A nice tight pistol that is capable of excellent accuracy but not too tight since I can install and remove the barrel bushing by hand without a tool. Ammo used, my reloads: mixed brass, Wolff primers (LP), 6.5 grains of Alliant Unique, 200 grain SWC.

Arched MSH and short trigger - YESSSSSSSS!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I'll have to do this "arched msh" business everyone seems to like so much

Nice shooting JohnO

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I went to get a rough zero on a new optic today and shot a mag (15 rds) through my CZ shot cold SHO. First shot went high and not on paper. I was surprised that the TRS-25/mount combo was pretty much POA/POI out of the box with my upper.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Wolf 115gr 9mm through a stock 3rd Gen Glock 17 at 25yd

Not the best group I've ever shot but was happy considering the ammunition and the gun. my 4th gen Glock 17 will pretty reliably do 1" better with the same ammo at the same distance.

User Tag List