Page 54 of 203 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Got my P229 back from Robert Burke today and took it out to do a little reliability testing before putting it back in the holster, then ended with a little group shooting. I pulled the 7th shot, I was happy with it up until then.

Name:  P7220618.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  39.7 KB

Anyone notice that it's more difficult to shoot at 25 yards with a RDS than it is with iron sights?

The target focused sight picture makes me yank the trigger when I have the dot over the center of the B8. It's harder for me to allow a degree of wobble to occur when I see the point of impact moving all over the place. I can keep my shots within the black 90 percent of the time with irons, but roughly 65 ish percent of the time with the dot.

This is totally attributed to my lack of self control, and poor trigger control when I'm excited.

Anyone else experience this?
    Last edited by 60167; 08-07-2016 at 05:14 PM.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

The dot shows ALOT more. One of the things that took the longest to get used to was the wobble zone. With irons it looked rock solid, the dot showed everything. It gets better, don't worry. Accept the wobble, be the wobble.
    i used to wannabe

Makes me want to devote more time to dry practice with that gun, as it really shows what I'm really doing to the gun while I pull the trigger.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

You guys are spot on about the dot and needing to trust the wobble. Karmapolice and I discovered that with his Roland before he ditched it. Asbthe distance increases, though, we found it easier to get hits because you can see the target and your hold better. The flip side though is that when moving back to irons, that target focus you develop with the dot will hurt you. Not saying the crossover can't be done, just that you have to pay much attention to your different visual focuses on the different platforms.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

This was where I was at today. Coming off the stomach bug I felt a little shaky but wanted to test out a known load with a new Dillon reloader.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Accept the wobble, be the wobble.
    Sig line material.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

How do you suggest shooting a 25yard slow fire drill with da/sa?

Is it still da first shot, then sa, then decock and repeat?

5 SA then On a new target 5DA. only keep the SA target, the DA one looks funny.
    Last edited by Luke; 08-17-2016 at 05:19 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    How do you suggest shooting a 25yard slow fire drill with da/sa?

Is it still da first shot, then sa, then decock and repeat?
    If you are going to carry and be proficient with a DA/SA pistol you must learn to successfully master both trigger modes. Typically the longer heavier DA mode is more challenging than SA mode and requires more practice to master. You should let your targets be the judge of what you need to practice the most and adjust accordingly.

Since the 25 yard Bull is a pure marksmanship drill I would certainly fire strings of 10 DA shots decocking between each. At the point were you feel confident in your DA ability then I would work on the 1st shot DA second shot SA transition.

User Tag List