Page 52 of 202 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I find that it's reasonably easy to shoot a 90 with most any ammo. Once you begin to push that, though, the ammo makes a big difference. The S&B stuff is one of the better ball loads in my experience along with 115gr Fiocci. 95 and better requires good ammo. Personally I have yet to shoot a 100. However, I can pretty much pull 95+ on-demand. At this level of performance, there are 2 key factors that come into play:

1) Visual Focus: Your sight alignment has to be spot on. Front sight correctly aligned to the rear (equal height/equal light) and sight alignment on target. Then, hard front-sight focus through the trigger pull. If you let this slip, those 8's and 7's start to show up pretty quickly.

2) Neutral Grip: I still grip the pistol firmly, but the pressure has to be applied correctly. 25yds magnifies flaws that don't show up 10 yds and closer. This was my first big "AHA" moment in 25 yd shooting and it happened literally in one day. For me, rolling the support hand way forward ala Vogel created more opportunity for torquing the pistol and thus significantly shifting the POI based on varying grip pressures. I found that by rolling my hand slightly rearward, I was able to apply ample clamp pressure with my support hand while keeping varying pressures from disturbing the sights. Diagnose this with a dry gun by taking a sight picture with the gun loose in your hands and then applying your normal pressure. If you have to apply counter-pressure or re-align your sights, something's off with your grip.

As far as the hardware itself, I find that matters less and less. Sights for instance. HD's are huge, but you can still do good work with them. You just have to figure out what it is you need to see in terms of alignment and then duplicate it every time. I find that with HD's if I hold the tops of the blades on the tops of the black of a B8, I get center hits as long as I do my part. See below of a Gen 3 19 I traded into with HD's already on it. I hate the Gen 3 19 because of the hump (much improved on the Gen 4), so likely my misses here are more due to grip issues, but the sights still allow good hits. I also want to say I agree with you that maintaining a shooting rhythm can play a factor here; especially as it relates to consistent grip and sight picture. However, as you develop the grip and sight focus, you should reach the place where you can duplicate them correctly even if you re-holstered between shots.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work!

Thanks! All of that makes sense. Interestingly enough, I do vascillate between the thought that I should grip differently running 25 yds vs combative distances that end near 15 yds for me. I think that was the most helpful tip. Thank you and I'll get back to work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I took my Glock 21 to the range today and shot a couple 10 round strings from 25 yards.

Second string on a new target.

I have not fired a Glock in over two years. Prior to being bitten by the 1911 bug I put many thousands of rounds through this Glock. Today I struggled with my vertical hold. As I said I has been a while since I shot this gun and I was not certain exactly where to hold. I wanted to hold dead on the X like I do with my 1911 but I needed to hold slightly lower, approximately 6 o'clock on the 10-ring. That is a difficult spot for a visual reference.

Stock G21 with Warren Tactical Sevigney carry sights (stock Glock sights are awful!). When I do my part the gun will easily shoot in the X-ring at 25 yards.
    Last edited by JohnO; 06-27-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I wanted to hold dead on the X like I do with my 1911 but I needed to hold slightly lower, approximately 6 o'clock on the 10-ring. That is a difficult spot for a visual reference.
    That's some good shootin', but don't NRA bullseye guys prefer a 6 o'clock hold?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    That's some good shootin', but don't NRA bullseye guys prefer a 6 o'clock hold?
    I don't shoot NRA bullseye so I'm not certain. I have one 1911 that is setup (or needs) a 6 o'clock hold. If I were competing in bullseye I believe I would want a gun setup with a 6 o'clock hold because the sight picture is definitive. Sitting the bull on the front sight post is cleaner than judging that you are holding in the center of the bull. However for my purposes I prefer a dead on hold. I feel it is best for a defensive gun.

Shot some 147 HST through the RMR'ed gun aka Roland Special to verify the zero since I had been shooting a lot of 115 grain practice ammo though it lately.

This sucks compared to the rest of you, but represents serious progress for me. I really took my time, for the first time that I can remember. More work to do.

Wilson CQB commander, Geco 230 grain ball.
    Name:  bullseye 100 with cqb-c 28jun16.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  26.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Shot some 147 HST through the RMR'ed gun aka Roland Special to verify the zero since I had been shooting a lot of 115 grain practice ammo though it lately.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory eh?

I postet this in another thread but figured it could go here too.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

[/URL]
    You need more finger on the trigger. Or less. Or grip harder. Or something. And stop limp-wristing.

Seriously, dude, GREAT shooting. I HATE YOU.

Site Supporter
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory eh?

I postet this in another thread but figured it could go here too.

Really solid shooting dude. Now we just gotta get you hooked on Berettas

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    This sucks compared to the rest of you, but represents serious progress for me. I really took my time, for the first time that I can remember. More work to do.

Wilson CQB commander, Geco 230 grain ball.
    Name:  bullseye 100 with cqb-c 28jun16.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  26.8 KB
    Ha! There's no suck there! I find 10 takes about ten times the mental focus as five. What kind of math is that?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List