Page 50 of 203 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

My first two groups at 25 yards, freestyle, with a newly acquired G26, with Ameriglo Prodot sights that I installed, and was checking zero.

The first one is most definitely the freakiest 25 yard group I've ever produced. It was shot with the front sight bisecting the target.

Kind of freaked me out, so I shot a second one using a 6'oclock hold, and this one brought me back down to reality a bit

Last edited by DacoRoman; 06-21-2016 at 06:17 PM.

One of those like yes but awwww moments

Hit the range with karmapolice today and worked on lots of 25 yds pistol. We ended up with some timed fire. 30 sec par time, from the holster standing freestyle @ 25 yds. AT's shot with a Roland Special G19 from JMCK AIWB and JV's shot with a Gen 4 G17 from ALS strongside OWB.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

So apparently a clean gun shoots better. My 17 was pretty nasty and I couldn't figure out why my accuracy had gone to hell. Detail stripped and cleaned the pistol. Then I was able to do this, first 10 rounds of the day:

And the aggregate group of the 50 rounds I fired at 25 yds.

Food Court Apprentice

You guys are a constant reminder as to why I have to keep practicing. I suck a little less each year ;p

I really hate too much bull's eye shooting, so I tend to shoot 10 shot groups in around 15 seconds-LOL! I should try to get myself up to 30 seconds. Speaking of which, do you guys lower your gun to a high compressed ready or some such b/w shots or do you power through for 30 seconds of holding it steady with massive cranial concentration?
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    You guys are a constant reminder as to why I have to keep practicing. I suck a little less each year ;p

I really hate too much bull's eye shooting, so I tend to shoot 10 shot groups in around 15 seconds-LOL! I should try to get myself up to 30 seconds. Speaking of which, do you guys lower your gun to a high compressed ready or some such b/w shots or do you power through for 30 seconds of holding it steady with massive cranial concentration?
    LOL, the latter unfortunately. The 100 degree heat outdoors yesterday didn't help with that.
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post

A 10 round group with no time limit should be exactly be exactly that, no time limit within reason of course. You can run Speed Bulls where the limit is 15 sec. or 30 sec. I done both of those with Mike Pannone, Larry Vickers and Pat McNamara. A common observation that I have made across numerous classes is that when a group of people are asked to shoot a precision Bull at 25 yards on a B-8 generally the quickest finishers have the lowest scores.

The exercise is intended to wring out the maximum accuracy you are capable of through strict adherence to the fundamentals. If you rush the exercise you are cheating yourself and diminishing the value of the drill. A dedicated pause between each shot is normal and expected. When there is no time limit I will always bring the gun back or down, take a breath or two and focus my concentration between shots, sometimes even holstering once or twice in a string. I've never finished last in a class and nowhere near first (time).
    Last edited by JohnO; 06-24-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Oh, I was having a good run! Shot #6 nearly off the paper, and I knew it when it happened. Glad this isn't too easy

As a follow up, I find (I'll try and post pictures later) that I shoot better in 5 round blocks. I find it very difficult to find the same "hold" if I break between shots. Just me or do I have company?

NOTE: I just put on some Trijicon HDs on the G19, so I think I need to drift the rear sight a teeny bit to the right-I'm normally not this far left, but I'll run a few more rounds through it this way.

Some pictures (BTW, feel free to rotate them, I have no idea why they're sideways):
    I started at 15 yds and this is how it turned out when I did 1 shot, break, etc for 10 rounds. I can't even find the 10th.
    Name:  20160625_100428.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  35.8 KB

Then, at 15 yds, I shot 2 groups of 5. Not super slow, but certainly not fast. I'm simply tracking my sights after one presentation from holster.
    Name:  20160625_101320.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  47.4 KB

Again at 15 yds with 2 groups of 5. Not great, but I seem consistently better at shooting in groups rather than singles. My horizontal is pretty good, but my vertical is a bit off. Probably due to the longer string. I'll need to find a happy medium.
    Name:  20160625_101253.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  45.7 KB

Let's look at 25 now with 1 shot, 1 rest. Can't even find 2 of them. Wild!
    Name:  20160625_102818.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  25.4 KB

And 2 groups of 5. 3 outside the black rather than all and 2 doubles. Some nice consistent yanking at 6:15, eh?
    Name:  20160625_103113.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  24.0 KB

In conclusion, for me, I shoot better in strings. Maybe 5 is too long, but 1 at a time is too difficult for me to regain my first hold.

Feel free to pick it apart and/or give me suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaiHu; 06-25-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

BaiHu, can you clarify what you mean by, "...is too difficult for me to regain my first hold"? Do you mean your grip on the pistol, or the position you are placing the front sight on the target?

User Tag List