Page 42 of 203 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    Maxed the FBI Bullseye Course tonight (300/300) using a GEN4 G17 and Speer Lawman 115 grain ammo.

Scored a 100-7x on the 25 yard stage (10 rounds in 4 minutes).
    Nice. Sights?

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Nice. Sights?
    Heinie Ledge.

Got an M&P 9 through the armorers program a month ago and finally made up my mind to shoot it tonight. First 10 rounds out of the pistol since the factory went into a 4" group at 25. Needs a trigger and some sights:

Then I shot my Glock for comparison. 3" group and good score made me smile:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    hell that grouping makes me smile...way to go!

Shot this while doing ball and dummy. It's only 6 rounds, I know 10 is the standard but I'm conserving ammo lol not sure if the verticals stringing is wobble zone or sight alignment or what. I've noticed this pistol (gen4 17) has been shooting left for me on everything. Gonna keep dry firing and working on trigger manipulation before I drift the sight.

That's also cold. Or semi cold? Shot the DOTW like an hour or two ago then came inside and ate and laid around. Then went out and shot this.

Wow lots of replies to this post. It seems everyone agrees shooting at 25 yards will magnify any error with fundamentals/focus.

Not taking anything away from the groups I have seen posted, because I would love to say I can shoot like that, but I can't.

So does anyone have any comparison pics/data on their group size with a 3 inch, 4 inch vs 5 inch guns?

The reason I ask, is because, most of the standards/quals I see related to a service size gun. I shot the Hackathorn Wizard drill with a 3 inch and 5 inch gun and what a difference. And I don't even want to talk about my 25 yard groups.

Sweet! I much rather shoot at 10 feet. This will come in handy for my planned shoot out next week.

One drill I have been doing for increasing accuracy at distance (with speed) is to shoot the 10x10x10 (10 rounds in 10 seconds at 10 yards). After getting a clean run I move back to 15 and try again (seems I can do it in 12 seconds with all in the 10/9 ring) then I move back to the 20 and then the 25. Really shows you what tempo you can shoot at for different distances, for me it really makes me dial into my front sight and become "one" with my trigger.

That's one thing I struggle with is a front sight focus. It FEELS like I shoot better with a target focus. At 25 a whole USPSA silhouette disappears with front sight focus but becomes much more clear with target focus and using my peripheral vision for sight alignment. I've been trying to do nothing but front sight focus on everything but it seems frustrating. Is the only con to target focus that you can't call your shots? (Which I can't do now anyways..)

User Tag List