Page 31 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Have you ever seen Okie's full report on comparisons between his OEM barrels and the Wilson? He might could link to it pretty quickly. It was on M4C a couple years ago. It's a pretty cool read.
    Maybe, not sure. I remember seeing some interesting posts and pictures on M4 on this subject within the last couple of years. I think one was from Brian Searcy, and I'm not sure whether I saw Okie John's or not. If anyone does have a link handy, I'll sure go take a look.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Not on a 34, which is what I'm looking at. I do have a Bar-Sto for a G21, which I haven't used much in a long time. I seem to remember it improve accuracy over OEM by a little bit. It wasn't fitted to that gun though...

I always kind of figure I just don't shoot well enough, precision-wise, to tell the difference. So many people seem to get good results out of Wilson, Bar-Sto, and KKM, that I'd really like to buy some accuracy too.

With a properly fitted Bar-Sto barrels mechanically capable of 1.5" groups or under, I'd try one of those.

Maybe, not sure. I remember seeing some interesting posts and pictures on M4 on this subject within the last couple of years. I think one was from Brian Searcy, and I'm not sure whether I saw Okie John's or not. If anyone does have a link handy, I'll sure go take a look.
    Found it http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ock&highlight=
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for the link JHC, and great write-up, Okie John!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Thanks for the kind words.

This is about all I have been able to manage at 50 with a Glock. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/7848024682/
    Those were about the kind of results I used to get at 50 yards before I started shooting handloads. The groups I posted are the culmination of several efforts as laid out in Post 37 of this thread. The most important of them is improving my ammunition by working up a good load for this pistol and by nailing my loading technique. I know that duty-grade JHPs outshoot training-grade FMJ, but I had discounted the possibility that handloads might outshoot JHPs. I was wrong.

I've been considering Wilson barrels for my G34s. But I'm unsure, because every time I have tried well-regarded aftermarket barrels (not Wilson though), I have failed to realize any more accuracy than with OEM. Just to clarify, are you saying your OEM barrel is almost as good as the Wilson, but only with cast bullets, and with other bullets, the Wilson is significantly better? Or am I misreading you?
    Yes, the OEM barrel is almost as good as the WC barrel WITH CAST LOADS. (See details on those loads at http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...t=cast+bullets) I’ve had my best improvement with jacketed ammo in the WC barrel, but I’m far from done testing loads.

Fitting is HUGE.

Both of my barrels were fitted. I also tried a Wilson barrel in 40 S&W that dropped in. It actually shot worse than the OEM barrel, which was remarkably good. Based on that and on reviewing what people here post about drop-in barrels, I think it’s probably a matter of luck if they improve accuracy more than a little. Nobody would expect a drop-in 1911 barrel to be much good, so it makes sense that a drop-in Glock barrel might not deliver shocking improvements in accuracy.

I also think that we’re not paying enough attention to locking blocks. I’ve found that the zero of my EDC will wander if I pull the locking block for cleaning, and it takes a couple of hundred rounds for it to settle down again. This mirrors my experience with High Standard target pistols, which have removable barrels. When I was on the Oklahoma National Guard Pistol team, the guys who shot High Standards never pulled the barrels because it took 500 rounds to get them to settle in and start grouping again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    With a properly fitted Bar-Sto barrels mechanically capable of 1.5" groups or under, I'd try one of those.
    This may be the way to go.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 09-23-2014 at 08:30 PM.

I actually read this a couple days ago. I'm going to pick up a set of adjustable Dawsons ala the Tigerswan gun for my G17 with the KKM barrel next week. We'll see how it does, but I'm hoping for 2" or better 25yd groups. We'll see what happens.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.

Those were about the kind of results I used to get at 50 yards before I started shooting handloads. The groups I posted are the culmination of several efforts as laid out in Post 37 of this thread. The most important of them is improving my ammunition by working up a good load for this pistol and by nailing my loading technique. I know that duty-grade JHPs outshoot training-grade FMJ, but I had discounted the possibility that handloads might outshoot JHPs. I was wrong.

Yes, the OEM barrel is almost as good as the WC barrel WITH CAST LOADS. (See details on those loads at http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...t=cast+bullets) I’ve had my best improvement with jacketed ammo in the WC barrel, but I’m far from done testing loads.

Fitting is HUGE.

Both of my barrels were fitted. I also tried a Wilson barrel in 40 S&W that dropped in. It actually shot worse than the OEM barrel, which was remarkably good. Based on that and on reviewing what people here post about drop-in barrels, I think it’s probably a matter of luck if they improve accuracy more than a little. Nobody would expect a drop-in 1911 barrel to be much good, so it makes sense that a drop-in Glock barrel might not deliver shocking improvements in accuracy.

I also think that we’re not paying enough attention to locking blocks. I’ve found that the zero of my EDC will wander if I pull the locking block for cleaning, and it takes a couple of hundred rounds for it to settle down again. This mirrors my experience with High Standard target pistols, which have removable barrels. When I was on the Oklahoma National Guard Pistol team, the guys who shot High Standards never pulled the barrels because it took 500 rounds to get them to settle in and start grouping again.

This may be the way to go.

Okie John
    WOW! (bolded) Learning is occurring!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

WOW! (bolded) Learning is occurring!
    Me too; thanks for the detailed report Okie. I keep playing with the idea of sticking a Dawson adjustable on a play gun, just because.
    Last edited by LSP552; 09-24-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks for digging that one up. I've done a fair amount of bloviating over there, so a search might pay off if you're into that sort of thing.

Okie John

First 25yd group of the day yesterday after zeroing some Aimpoints on carbines...feels really good to pull out this kinda stuff on demand (minus the flier of course )
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List