Page 21 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Great thread, have read all the posts and learned a lot. Thanks to all.

It will not be a big contribution to the discussion, but my 'best' try so far is attached, 78-0X if I scored it the right way.

FS M&P 9, Apex DCAEK and Polymer trigger, Trijicon HDs, Blazer Brass 115 FMJ.

Rich in Tampa

So I'm sitting here trying all this slow fire, front sight focus, perfect trigger press stuff just to attempt get them in the black at 25, hoping to improve.

Then I see a target in a magazine with 15 rounds in the black at 25, fired in 20 seconds with a Glock 17. I think I'm going to go back to the old saw that engagements rarely occur past 10 yards. Then I'm going to work with Center Axis Relock, just 'cause it looks so cool. If it's past 10 yards, I'll just fight my way to a rifle, using the pistol for suppressing fire. Or maybe I'll yell "cover me!" at my wife while I close the distance.

I'm no ninja long distance marksman, or anything, but I find myself wondering why folks are trying to get 25 yard accuracy with bargain bin 9mm ball ammo?!? To my mind, you should be using ball ammo for practice, and the premium carry stuff to keep score.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    I'm no ninja long distance marksman, or anything, but I find myself wondering why folks are trying to get 25 yard accuracy with bargain bin 9mm ball ammo?!? To my mind, you should be using ball ammo for practice, and the premium carry stuff to keep score.
    Pretty solid point but dang if I have seen pretty decent performance from WWB 115, Monarch 115 and Tula for petesakes 115 recently. OTOH Blazer less so. Good enough for offhand most of the time IMO. If I'm going to "bench" a pistol trying to see raw mechanical precision, then I'm looking to Hornady, or Speed Gold Dots or HST based on what I've seen.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I am practicing.

On top of that, it's what I have readily available, and from what I can gather, the ammo and gun can still outshoot me, so different ammo may help, but until I can take advantage of it, there's no need for the expense. Further, I'm not training for the Olympics, I'm just trying to see and improve on what I can do with what I have on hand.

Except for the Perfecta I bought just because it was on the shelf and I thought I'd try it. It is one ammo I can outshoot. If they made it readily available on streets of Chicago, no one would get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
    I am practicing.

On top of that, it's what I have readily available, and from what I can gather, the ammo and gun can still outshoot me, so different ammo may help, but until I can take advantage of it, there's no need for the expense. Further, I'm not training for the Olympics, I'm just trying to see and improve on what I can do with what I have on hand.
    +1

Because if I can keep the cheap stuff on a 3x5 at 25, I don't need to have multiple kinds of practice ammo, and most of the available stuff does that.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Because if I can keep the cheap stuff on a 3x5 at 25, I don't need to have multiple kinds of practice ammo, and most of the available stuff does that.
    + the Fed's balance sheet
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    + the Fed's balance sheet
    lol!!!!!!!!!!

Managed this one today. Stock Gen 4 Glock 17, .140 CAP front, black serrated rear. What's most exciting to me about this is with this rear sight I get POA=POI hold at 25 yds vs the 6'oclock with the CAP rear. Max spread = 4.5"

Last edited by ASH556; 08-02-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Tag List